DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Releases SDK for Mini 3

Conservative Nihilist

Reactions
I'm a Mavic 2 Pro owner who might in the future buy a Mini 3 now that just yesterday DJI released the long-awaited SDK for the Mini 3 that will enable Litchi to offer waypoint mission capabilities for the Mini 3 that will extend way beyond the reach of the RC signal where such autonomous flying is permitted. The release of this SDK is a MONUMENTAL development that merits breaking out the champagne glasses for a spot of wild jubilation.

So let's hear it for DJI you Mini 3 owners, for today your prayers have been answered, and therefore soon, very soon, your Mini 3 will be able to boldly venture where it dared not in the past, thanks to the magic of Litchi waypoint mission flying with on board GPS data storage .

Any links or sources for this news? Especially the detail about waypoints missions being able to continue when RC signal is lost? If this is true then it's a significant change in direction for DJI and waypoint missions on consumer drones.

Learning that the Mini 3's SDK rollout won't be for another 4 to 6 months is a buzz-kill for sure, but to respond to Scro's question about waypoint missions, that SDK is all that is needed by Litchi's code-meisters to impart that beyond-signal-range waypoint capability on the Mini 3, provided that GPS data can be stored on board the drone at the start of waypoint missions, which is the core prerequisite for any DJI drone to attain the capability of embarking on fully autonomous waypoint flights extending beyond the RC signal range.

I recently acquired a Mavic 2 Pro which instantly became my favorite drone, but the slightly longer flight time, comparable camera, and compact size of the Mini 3, in combination with the waypoint magic that Litchi does so well, increase the odds of my purchasing a Mini 3 when the capability of on-board GPS data storage is confirmed by Litchi. I will be watching this model closely now.

Reactions: WWMav and Hauptmann
The only DJI drones that can continue a mission after connection loss are the ones with native support for waypoints, and Litchi can allow that option because the onboard firmware does. DJI has not announced waypoints for the Mini 3 (although the code is already there, but only usable in hyperlapse mode). Maybe they will -- there's no technical reason that they can't -- and I'd be happy to be wrong in predicting a Mini 3 Enterprise at a premium price. Either way, DJI would be foolish not to go after the market for a sub-250g drone that can do mapping and photogrammetry.

I'm a Mavic 2 Pro owner who might in the future buy a Mini 3 now that just yesterday DJI released the long-awaited SDK for the Mini 3 that will enable Litchi to offer waypoint mission capabilities for the Mini 3 that will extend way beyond the reach of the RC signal where such autonomous flying is permitted. The release of this SDK is a MONUMENTAL development that merits breaking out the champagne glasses for a spot of wild jubilation.

So let's hear it for DJI you Mini 3 owners, for today your prayers have been answered, and therefore soon, very soon, your Mini 3 will be able to boldly venture where it dared not in the past, thanks to the magic of Litchi waypoint mission flying with on board GPS data storage .
Perhaps you should confirm rumors before announcing to the forum that they have been released.

Apologies sir for my hasty conclusion. I truly was convinced that the SDK had already been released, and I got carried away with the excitement. Won't happen again, but at least I know for sure the SDK is pledged by DJI and is now eagerly anticipated by Litchi users like myself.
With any luck it will come to pass, but as someone who checks the forums daily I have seen many promises from DJI simply not come to pass, or take forever.
I'm with you though. The release of the SDK would allow many programmers to release the full potential of this drone!

What a disappointing situation with the Mavic 3. The Mini 3 will get SDK but not the Mavic 3. This is ridiculous.

I, too, am eagerly awaiting the SDK's release for the same reason most others are. I'll go ahead and buy the Mini 3P once it's out. Go, LITCHI!

What I really want is a dongle which will open up use of 4G (or 5G) for better control when flying in tight spaces. There should be a good market. I don't think FAA or FCC would object, as long as required licensing is obtained. Yes, this will push the Mini 3P over 250 g, and require registration and RID. Don't care. I'll follow all regs as to when, where, and how to fly.

Anyone else with me on this?

Last edited:
Won't be much use unless we can get Litchi on the Dji RC
Certainly, it will take a couple of months after DJI releases the SDK before Litchi completes its magic feat that will transform the Mini 3 into a fully autonomous drone that can range out beyond the horizon far exceeding the signal reach of the RC. Obviously, for anyone residing under FAA and CAA airspace, full autonomy beyond signal range is strictly verboten, making this capability one of the precious few perks of living in a Third World backwater where drone regulations are non-existent and most laws can safely be regarded as non-obligatory yet helpful recommendations.

Certainly, it will take a couple of months after DJI releases the SDK before Litchi completes its magic feat that will transform the Mini 3 into a fully autonomous drone that can range out beyond the horizon far exceeding the signal reach of the RC. Obviously, for anyone residing under FAA and CAA airspace, full autonomy beyond signal range is strictly verboten, making this capability one of the precious few perks of living in a Third World backwater where drone regulations are non-existent and most laws can safely be regarded as non-obligatory yet helpful recommendations.
I'd caution against assuming the SDK will allow apps like Litchi to do waypoint missions beyond the reach of the signal of the controller. All the recent iterations of waypoint missions for DJI drones have used "virtual sticks" and required a continuous signal from the controller. GPS waypoints don't get uploaded to the drone so that it can fly without the RC connection as is the case with the Mavic 2 Pro, for example.

Just for clarification, the Mavic 3 can fly waypoint missions with controller turned off after the mission has started. It can also be set to continue mission on signal loss. (one in the same)

Reactions: scro and Hauptmann
Just for clarification, the Mavic 3 can fly waypoint missions with controller turned off after the mission has started. It can also be set to continue mission on signal loss. (one in the same)
Native waypoints and 3rd party SDK waypoints are 2 different things. I would assume that any 3rd party waypoints will be "virtual sticks" like every other Fly app drone with an SDK.

MavicMover I would love to be wrong in my understanding that only Litchi can enable dDJI drones to complete waypoint missions beyond RC signal range. Can you please confirm whether you have actually launched a Mini 3 on waypoint missions and then powered OFF the RC controller after the mission commenced, yet still witnessed a normal waypoint flight that did NOT at any point revert to RTH?

SCRO I must confess to being somewhat bewildered after reading your mention that virtual sticks would STILL be the mode of flight AFTER the Mini 3 SDK is released by DJI. I was under the impression that DJI's release of the Mini 3 SDK would enable the Mini 3 to store all GPS waypoints aboard the drone prior to takeoff whereby the mission would be completed even if the controller loses signal or is actually turned off.

If the capability to complete waypoint missions beyond RC signal range is ALREADY offered by the Mini 3, it follows that all GPS waypoints for each flight are already being uploaded to the drone before takeoff, which means my jubilation about that SDK release was unwarranted since Litchi's waypoint mission capability is not even required because the DJI waypoint facility is versatile enough to allow RC to drone disconnection yet complete waypoint missions. Any clarification you can offer would be appreciated.

Reactions: Hauptmann
MavicMover I would love to be wrong in my understanding that only Litchi can enable dDJI drones to complete waypoint missions beyond RC signal range. Can you please confirm whether you have actually launched a Mini 3 on waypoint missions and then powered OFF the RC controller after the mission commenced, yet still witnessed a normal waypoint flight that did NOT at any point revert to RTH?

SCRO I must confess to being somewhat bewildered after reading your mention that virtual sticks would STILL be the mode of flight AFTER the Mini 3 SDK is released by DJI. I was under the impression that DJI's release of the Mini 3 SDK would enable the Mini 3 to store all GPS waypoints aboard the drone prior to takeoff whereby the mission would be completed even if the controller loses signal or is actually turned off.

If the capability to complete waypoint missions beyond RC signal range is ALREADY offered by the Mini 3, it follows that all GPS waypoints for each flight are already being uploaded to the drone before takeoff, which means my jubilation about that SDK release was unwarranted since Litchi's waypoint mission capability is not even required because the DJI waypoint facility is versatile enough to allow RC to drone disconnection yet complete waypoint missions. Any clarification you can offer would be appreciated.
Sorry, I was referring to the Mavic 3 using the RC, not Mini 3. (yes I know this is the Mini 3 thread)

The Mavic Mini (aka mini1) and the Mini 2 can currently do waypoint missions, but only through 3rd party software that uses the SDK released for the respective models. Both models use a "virtual sticks" method of doing the waypoints and this relies on maintaining a connection with the controller - it is the app/controller that commands the drone to move through the waypoints rather than the drone's onboard GPS and firmware doing the controlling. I'm expecting the Mini3/3pro SDK will open the door to virtual sticks waypoints missions via 3rd party apps (not sure what happens for those with the DJI RC, which doesn't currently allow installation of 3rd party apps).

The Mavic 3 got a firmware update recently, which unlocked "native" waypoints missions. This is different to 3rd party support for missions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart