DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Repair Scam

Not to be confrontational and cast wild aspersions, but my experience with DJI has been markedly different.

Flying commercially I have had reason to utilize DJI repairs on 6 different occasions - (only 2 of which were my fault for all those flamers who want to blast me) - my repairs have never been more than $210 - even for a completely shattered Obsidian that hit the driveway from 40ft up... recently I purchased a Mavic Pro damaged - knowing I could send it in to DJI and have them replace it with a completely refurbished model... cost $189... what I get back after one of these "repairs" is a completely refurbished model... like new shiny and with all the stickers and plastic guard still in place.

Misjudged an approach pulling back from over the lava then down to tree top and over a cliff face all while descending... tried to time a wave to hit just after i had passed the cliff face but "oooops" wave came up under her and knocked her sky high... she was about 50ft out to sea and 60 ft msl and just sat up there like a wet dog (funnily all my birds are named after my deceased dogs) shaking it off... I had very little control of her but did manage to visually bring her back over land and caught her... but camera had been shook all to he*** and was hanging limp... and she was drenched... took the battery off got her home took her apart and replaced the gimbal cable and cleaned as best I could all the salt deposits... but alas she wouldn't work... sent her to DJI... "repair" ticket $196 - time from sending to them and getting back a beautiful "refurbished" bird... 7/1 - 7/11 10 days. Canna beat that laddie.

When you send in a repair, they don't repair it and send it back to you, they evaluate the repair cost then send you a refurbished model that has been sitting on a shelf.

Like NIKON et al... Try sending a lens to Nikon to repair just the focus ring... Cost $700 -
"what, to fix a focus ring?"
"sir it also has fungus growing on the lens"
"I don't care about that, it's minor and will affect very little the quality of the image" "sorry sir, when we make a repair we bring that item back up to 'like new'"

I suspect it is that way with DJI also... your "arms" may have had slight scratches or dings... so to bring back to "like new" they had to be replaced... you will note that the serial number of the aircraft you got back is not the same as the one you sent in..." Which also means you have to re-register with the FAA...,

And on top of that the service has been remarkably swift...
I haven't had to use them for our I2, so cannot attest to their operation with regard that bird...

My only complaint... and it is a major one... is with DJI's support of the Crystal Sky... here we pay $999 for a ( Mod Removed ) tablet that can't support most of the programs I would like, overheats to the point it is almost impossible to hold, and burns out the video card in 15 months (hence out of warranty) and a bill of some $513... all over the www pilots are complaining of the same issue the video board burning out... I love the monitor as it allows you to clearly see where the h you are flying and what you are doing... but come on DJI... show us some love...

OK... got that off my chest...
After all, someone needs to represent the "other side", right?

EDIT...
threw this together to show my misfortunate timing...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had my Mavic Pro for 1 1/2 years I have never crashed it or even had a hard landing.
I fly on Tuesday with no problems and I wake up to fly the next day and I have a message on my
Drone the states " Gimbal Motor Load Too Large" and my camera is pointing in a downward position
So I send my Mavic to DJI for repair and today I get an email quote back saying they need to repair
the:
Rear Right Motor Arm
Rear Left Motor Arm
Gimbal Axis Arm Module
Gimbal and Camera Module
Lower Shell

Total 459.00

and they claim this damage was caused by Physical Impact (crash)
I have never crashed my drone or bumped it or anything so WTH is going on!
Repair Scam for sure!
Get used to it. This is the M.O. of DJI Repair. They hold your drone hostage while you argue with them. After a month, you'll likely pay the ransom. Of course that fosters such behavior by DJI. I've had this experience 3 times with various DJI drones. It's just the way they do business. Expect it and Accept it. I suggest getting DJI Care or even better State Farm Personal Property Insurance (if it's not for commercial use)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Update:
Got my Mavic back today after refusing to pay 405.00 after the discount ..i charge it up and it wont fly ..I get a foot off the ground and it looses GPS control

My drone had no issues flying it only had a camera/gimbal issue ...also they kept my gimbal clamp that was with the drone when I shipped it too them

I cant believe this...Very Irritated right now Worst Service Ever!!!!

OMG!

-

Update:
Got my Mavic back today after refusing to pay 405.00 after the discount ..i charge it up and it wont fly ..I get a foot off the ground and it looses GPS control

My drone had no issues flying it only had a camera/gimbal issue ...also they kept my gimbal clamp that was with the drone when I shipped it too them

I cant believe this...Very Irritated right now Worst Service Ever!!!!

OMG!

-
Just had exactly the same with my Tello, one dodgy motor apparently required new probs, gaurds and a new board which is unbelievable tbh. It's now to be an ornament

Same [Language Removed] just happened to me never a crash only sent drone in for gimbal repair. And abet a 350$ bill for all of this other stuff. My issue was gimbal motor overload issue . This has to be a scam.
Item List
Gimbal Axis Arm Module
Quantity: 1
Net Price : 59.00
Total Price: 59.00

Middle Frame Module
Net Price : 4.00
Total Price: 4.00

Front Left Motor Arm
Net Price : 22.00
Total Price: 22.00

Front Right Motor Arm

Mavic 8330 Quick-release Folding Propeller (CW)
Quantity: 2
Net Price : 6.00
Total Price: 12.00

Mavic 8330 Quick-release Folding Propeller (CCW)

Mavic Intelligent Flight Battery (20)
Net Price : 89.00
Total Price: 89.00

Repair Service Fee
Net Price : 65.00
Total Price: 130.00

Shipping Cost

Total Amount

Discount

Total Payment (USD$)

Same [Language Removed] just happened to me never a crash only sent drone in for gimbal repair. And abet a 350$ bill for all of this other stuff. My issue was gimbal motor overload issue . This has to be a scam.
Item List
Gimbal Axis Arm Module
Net Price : 59.00
Total Price: 59.00

Middle Frame Module
Net Price : 4.00
Total Price: 4.00

Front Left Motor Arm

Front Right Motor Arm

Mavic 8330 Quick-release Folding Propeller (CW)

Mavic 8330 Quick-release Folding Propeller (CCW)

Mavic Intelligent Flight Battery (20)
Net Price : 89.00
Total Price: 89.00

Repair Service Fee
Net Price : 65.00
Total Price: 130.00

Shipping Cost

Total Amount

Discount

Total Payment (USD$)

You can certainly request a repair estimate without replacing props and a battery, which I presume are fine and were merely not sent in with the drone, and tell them to leave the motor arms alone!

If you want a $0 obligation inspection just open a ticket w/ us and send it in w/ the free prepaid label. We can inspect, quote and see if its worth fixing or you can just to upgrade to the mp or m2. Make sure to put "mavicpilots" in the how you heard about us section for $35 off the repair if you choose to do so
dont upgrade to mp2 mines brand new and out to dji as it wont fly past 1/4 mile. theres a bunch of other mp2s here that fly short. whish I never sold my mavic pro. so far customer service is a [Language Removed by Admin]

Not to be confrontational and cast wild aspersions, but my experience with DJI has been markedly different.

Flying commercially I have had reason to utilize DJI repairs on 6 different occasions - (only 2 of which were my fault for all those flamers who want to blast me) - my repairs have never been more than $210 - even for a completely shattered Obsidian that hit the driveway from 40ft up... recently I purchased a Mavic Pro damaged - knowing I could send it in to DJI and have them replace it with a completely refurbished model... cost $189... what I get back after one of these "repairs" is a completely refurbished model... like new shiny and with all the stickers and plastic guard still in place.

Misjudged an approach pulling back from over the lava then down to tree top and over a cliff face all while descending... tried to time a wave to hit just after i had passed the cliff face but "oooops" wave came up under her and knocked her sky high... she was about 50ft out to sea and 60 ft msl and just sat up there like a wet dog (funnily all my birds are named after my deceased dogs) shaking it off... I had very little control of her but did manage to visually bring her back over land and caught her... but camera had been shook all to he*** and was hanging limp... and she was drenched... took the battery off got her home took her apart and replaced the gimbal cable and cleaned as best I could all the salt deposits... but alas she wouldn't work... sent her to DJI... "repair" ticket $196 - time from sending to them and getting back a beautiful "refurbished" bird... 7/1 - 7/11 10 days. Canna beat that laddie.

When you send in a repair, they don't repair it and send it back to you, they evaluate the repair cost then send you a refurbished model that has been sitting on a shelf.

Like NIKON et al... Try sending a lens to Nikon to repair just the focus ring... Cost $700 -
"what, to fix a focus ring?"
"sir it also has fungus growing on the lens"
"I don't care about that, it's minor and will affect very little the quality of the image" "sorry sir, when we make a repair we bring that item back up to 'like new'"

I suspect it is that way with DJI also... your "arms" may have had slight scratches or dings... so to bring back to "like new" they had to be replaced... you will note that the serial number of the aircraft you got back is not the same as the one you sent in..." Which also means you have to re-register with the FAA...,

And on top of that the service has been remarkably swift...
I haven't had to use them for our I2, so cannot attest to their operation with regard that bird...

My only complaint... and it is a major one... is with DJI's support of the Crystal Sky... here we pay $999 for a ( Mod Removed ) tablet that can't support most of the programs I would like, overheats to the point it is almost impossible to hold, and burns out the video card in 15 months (hence out of warranty) and a bill of some $513... all over the www pilots are complaining of the same issue the video board burning out... I love the monitor as it allows you to clearly see where the h you are flying and what you are doing... but come on DJI... show us some love...

OK... got that off my chest...
After all, someone needs to represent the "other side", right?

EDIT...
threw this together to show my misfortunate timing...
You wont have to "retegister with faa" u just need to put your faa # on the new aircraft u get back. Your faa # stays the same

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98