DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI said: no RAW & manual control on telelens Mavic 3?!

Darkabaz

Reactions
I spoke to someone from dji and they told me there will be NO option for raw/dng on telelens on the std. Mavic 3.
They told also there will be raw on the cine edition. And they offer a refund instead of this simple small firmware update. 😵These reaction from dji is a smash to the head. No manual control & no RAW on Telelens is not so usefull for photographers. Also it is a big missing change that it has none of the photo options like AEB 3 or 5.

Maybe they will be put everything on a 3S variant, and that would be sucking the whole thing. We spend a lot of money.
I am not happy with dji now.

Does someone got another message from dji hq?

Last edited:
I just tested the lens after reading your initial post and it's so poor, I'm not sure software can fix it. I did a few stills and some video. Horrible is the best I can rate it. I don't understand how DJI could let something like that out of the factory. I actually forgot that lens was there. Now I see why. For photography, it's a joke. Unless mine is defective?

Update: I just looked at the footage and the jpegs from the tele lens. I does look like the processing may add to the weak performance. The shots are over-sharpened and posterized looking. Maybe a firmware update that would allow unprocessed raw files may improve or at least make the shots somewhat useable. The video was also overprocessed so much that it looked like a cartoon.

Last edited:
I just tested the lens after reading your initial post and it's so poor, I'm not sure software can fix it. I did a few stills and some video. Horrible is the best I can rate it. I don't understand how DJI could let something like that out of the factory. I actually forgot that lens was there. Now I see why. For photography, it's a joke. Unless mine is defective?

Update: I just looked at the footage and the jpegs from the tele lens. I does look like the processing may add to the weak performance. The shots are over-sharpened and posterized looking. Maybe a firmware update that would allow unprocessed raw files may improve or at least make the shots somewhat useable. The video was also overprocessed so much that it looked like a cartoon.
It is a 12 mp camera. The mavic 2 zoom is also an 12mp camera sensor only with 1/1.3". I dont understand why the quality is so much different to these 2 lenses.
Its just a gimmick, not more and i think not usable for (semi) professional users

Meh. I don't think a random support person from DJI knows much about firmware updates until they're actually published.
Exactly! They are highly likely to make stuff up! They don't know anything!

It is a 12 mp camera. The mavic 2 zoom is also an 12mp camera sensor only with 1/1.3". I dont understand why the quality is so much different to these 2 lenses.
Its just a gimmick, not more and i think not usable for (semi) professional users
The M3 7x telephoto is also the same 1/2 inch camera used on the venerable new Matrice 30 for its zoom. It is has lots of potential that can be exploited in software and FW updates! Don't be so quick to dismiss it!

De M3 7x-telefoto is ook dezelfde 1/2-inch camera die wordt gebruikt op de eerbiedwaardige nieuwe Matrice 30 voor zijn zoomlens. Het heeft veel potentieel dat kan worden benut in software en FW-updates! Wees niet zo snel om het af te wijzen!
Do you know the sensor type of it? Why is dji not upgrading its firmware to get the full potiental out of it? Why does everyone first have to scream to dji before they take any further action?

Do you know the sensor type of it? Why is dji not upgrading its firmware to get the full potiental out of it? Why does everyone first have to scream to dji before they take any further action?
DJI does as it pleases. They obviously know how to do more with it. It's up to them whether they leverage the investment in R&D from the Matrice 30 and implement those capabilities on the M3. They still have plenty of time to do so. Assuming our screams affect their actions, though, is naive. They couldn't care less.

Reactions: Darkabaz
I spoke to someone from dji and they told me there will be NO option for raw/dng on telelens on the std. Mavic 3.
They told also there will be raw on the cine edition. And they offer a refund instead of this simple small firmware update. 😵These reaction from dji is a smash to the head. No manual control & no RAW on Telelens is not so usefull for photographers. Also it is a big missing change that it has none of the photo options like AEB 3 or 5.

Maybe they will be put everything on a 3S variant, and that would be sucking the whole thing. We spend a lot of money.
I am not happy with dji now.

Does someone got another message from dji hq?
I believe the recent 01.000.0700 has addressed your issue

I believe the recent 01.000.0700 has addressed your issue
I just installed that firmware upgrade on my Mavic 3 (non-cine) and I don't have raw options with the tele camera. Also no "pro" controls like shutter speed, iso, aperature...
Is this really just for the Cine version? Anyone else with the regular model have these issues?

Reloaded the FW with DJI Assist. Still the same issues. Most of the other features of this upgrade seem to be there but on the photo side it's extremely disappointing. No raw using the tele/explore camera. No manual exposure controls. Even with the regular camera/ photo mode, the button that should give 1 through 7x zoom, only does 1 OR 7x, nothing in between. In video mode this control works fine through the whole "zoom" range.
Are others getting ALL the advertised features to work on the non-cine Mavic 3?

Reloaded the FW with DJI Assist. Still the same issues. Most of the other features of this upgrade seem to be there but on the photo side it's extremely disappointing. No raw using the tele/explore camera. No manual exposure controls. Even with the regular camera/ photo mode, the button that should give 1 through 7x zoom, only does 1 OR 7x, nothing in between. In video mode this control works fine through the whole "zoom" range.
Are others getting ALL the advertised features to work on the non-cine Mavic 3?

Yes - I have a non-Cine Mavic 3 and with the firmware updates I am getting RAW output with manual controls for ISO and shutter speed while using the 7x lens. I select the 7x lens from the console button and have the options for JPEG, RAW, JPEG+RAW for output. I am using burst mode up to 7 shots to capture waterfalls. I have not tried AEB yet with the 7x lens.

A single tap on button for 1x/7x you can change back to the old zoom. It can toggle back and forth between the older zoom control vs. the new 1x/7x option. I'm not sure if all the manual features are available if you use the old zoom interface that gives you 1x to 28x zoom but it sounds like you are in the 1x/7x mode.

Here's a blended image of Multnomah Falls from my M3 using the 7x lens with a 7 shot burst I stacked in photoshop and used median blending to smooth out the falls. This shot was not possible before the firmware upgrade.

DJI_Multnomah162.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661