DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI selling FBI Drone Detection Systems - Who knew?

For the most part, this really isn't FBI territory, unless you fly over a certain guy's house. It should fall on the FAA and from my experience in aviation, they are more concerned with genuine safety and correcting errors. They are not focused on raising money. From the guys that I have had the opportunity to listen to and meet, it is surprising at who has not gotten fined or lost their privilege to fly. So if they come a callin', be honest and remorseful with them and you should escape unscathed.

I wasn't aware until today that DJI was making Drone Detection systems for the FBI and others to track drones. My Mavic 3 was detected and id'd by the FBI using Aerial Armor and Aerial Armor's main detection system is DJI Aeroscope. DJI Aeroscope | Premier DJI Drone Detection Technology | Aerial Armor

Kind of like the guy who invented radar inventing the radar detector and cashing in on both sides of the coin. They knew everything, where I was standing, where I flew, how I flew who I was etc... Without disclosing pertinent information, I was not in any trouble nor did anything wrong, however as someone who frequents these forums I had no idea that this ability of tracking was already in play.
Actually, DJI's anti-drone tech is NOT news and has been covered ad nausem. I was advised that investing in companies on the stock market: developing anti drone tech is a bigger growth opportunity than those making drones. That said, DJI is very clever and recognizing their own strengths. And yes, cashing in on both sides of the coin. While their customer support has vastly improved from several years go, there is still a disconnect between the various customer service agents , the DJI "senior engineers" and accessibility as well as information flow among the hidden other entities. My Inspire should get frequent fly miles for the number of trips I've had to re-send it back because the repair people go by a script and do not read enclosed documentation of issues. That is changing but instead of building a huge ego twin tower in schenzen, they should provide an east coast service center with well versed technical folks who actually fly drones and can think outside the box. It may come....if nothing else but to service the anti-drone technology and treat drone pilots as an adjunct. LOL

The feds have it in for Chinese companies. There was a chance they'd ban DJI projects like they've banned Huawei equipment.

I don't believe federal agencies are allowed to buy DJI drones for official use.

The thing is, all these sensitive installations like military bases and such can all be seen in satellite images. We probably have those satellites and so do the Chinese.
I don't know how "enforced" federal agencies are prohibited from buying DJI...tho the drone companies now operating with the vaunted "BLUE LIST" are marketing their non Chinese manufacturing. I suspect the Bureau of Land Management, surveying wild horses and burros don't give a horses *** about which drones they buy. I have seen videos of their using Phantoms.....

Pilot Institute put up a video about a year ago demonstrating the Aeroscope system. If I remember correctly, this system has been used at large events such as the super bowl.

Looking at the dates on other videos that show up on a search of "aeroscope drone", this system has been around for 4 or 5 years or more.

Neither Remote ID nor Aeroscope have anything to do with any internet connection, nor a connected phone. All the information they require is coming from the drone itself. Detection of a radio signal broadcast from the drone also has nothing to do with radar. However, Aerial Armor also uses radar, according to their website, cited in post #4 above.
How did they know where the OP was operating the drone from then?

It must be able to detect the controller in some way. Is it emitting that much RF?

Personally, I just think you were riding the fence about where you should be flying... Im sure you were unaware until you were notified and plus one to you for being concerned.

However, this is a moot point, and I would EXPECT and ASSUME that National Security Agencies should and would be monitoring what tards (not you lol) are doing with their drones.

How did they know where the OP was operating the drone from then?

It must be able to detect the controller in some way. Is it emitting that much RF?
The remote pilot GPS location is being transmitted continuously just like the drones GPS location. Also the home point is being transmitted as well.

If you are really interested take one of your flight logs and go to the Flyaway and Crash section of this site, upload your data, and prepare to be shocked how much data is available.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I was flying on public property near Kennedy Space Center but the airspace was Class G and no restrictions. The Sheriff's showed up in my exact location, as provided by AeroScope over at the Kennedy Space Center, for a chat. I suggested to them that the public property I was flying from protected from local UAS laws by Florida Statute 330.41. I have been trying to get that public entity to follow 330.41 for more than a year but, as George Carlin says, "Power does what it wants" Oh, by the way, the Sheriff did convince me to leave without issuing a trespass warning.

Wow some folks are rattled by my message. Why would I make this up? First off I know the FBI agents that work the area I fly, been dealing with them since 2017 when they first paid me a visit. Someone I didn't know pointed out that I was flying up and down the Delaware River not breaking any rules, in fact that raised the suspicion that I was following every rule. However they were puzzled why I was stopping in front of various points then moving on. When the agent that knows me explained to him everything was fine. I fly everyday along the Delaware in Philly. I photograph ships for my hobby (also do wildlife but not with a drone). When it's cold I zip around get my shots and get out of there. The reason I believe the equipment was being utilized is the past 2 weeks there have been major Eagles games. Division and Conference and where I fly is about 3 miles or so from the stadium so they were picking me up.This is the first time I've heard about this and was surprised they had that capability already as I was told Remote ID hadn't gone into effect yet. It's all good. I follow the rules 99% of the time. Also flying in Class B near an airport there are a ton of Geo Zones in play and altitude zones..You can't do much with a DJI drone if you wanted.

Have no idea? I have the latest firmware, how do I know if I'm broadcasting RID?
You are. I had forgotten that you were testing Night Mode over Philadelphia, which was only available after .0900, so you definitely were broadcasting RID, which no doubt assisted them in tracking all your flights, in addition to Aeroscope. RID is not mandatory for pilots until September this year, but DJI has proactively started broadcasting it from all Mavic 3's that have installed .0900 or later FW, as well as all Mini 3 Pros that have updated, despite the fact that the Mini 3 Pro is permanently exempt from all RID requirements when used recreationally with the original battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
What exactly is the rationale for putting an exclusion zone around sporting events?

Is it terrorism concern?

Or sports teams just have that political clout and they didn't want swarms of drones getting unauthorized pics and videos of games?

Interesting that they get law enforcement to deploy so many resources to enforce it.

What exactly is the rationale for putting an exclusion zone around sporting events?

Is it terrorism concern?

Or sports teams just have that political clout and they didn't want swarms of drones getting unauthorized pics and videos of games?

Interesting that they get law enforcement to deploy so many resources to enforce it.
I am still learning about drone flying but TFRs for aviation are always put up whenever there are large gatherings. I believe that their ceiling is 3000'. There was a VIP at the last Eagles game and I would not be surprised if that resulted in higher security measures. I don't believe that all the laws in the country could stop an evil doer and I have thought about what one could do to a stadium full of fans, with a drone.

You say "They knew everything, where I was standing, where I flew, how I flew who I was etc..."

What was the reason given by them for contacting you?

P.

Reactions: rgarjr
I'm baffled people are confused at the existence of Aeroscope and how it works. Been around for a long time. Boston Police has a system. I've been approached a handful of times, often when I'm in a 0', other restricted area or large event. And yes, they'll know exactly where I took off from, exact path and altitude drone took and exactly where I'm operating controller from. So, they might roll up and just check that I have my authorization or ask a simple question.

I am not a conspiracy theorist (tin foil hat guy) but I don't doubt the OP one bit. What I would like to know is the coverage area for this 'service'. And as far as RADAR goes, based on my private pilot experience, that is very limited but I am open to a wising up if I am wrong.
The Aeroscope can be more than twice as far as DJI's specs. I have seen a detection system using RF signals detect drones from several tens of miles away; if you think about it the drone is transmitting it's location probably hundreds of time a second. A detector only has to received and decode one or two of those signals to get a good track data for the drone. So they can cover a fairly wide geographical area.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer