DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI should release a Mavic Mini 2 in 2020!

It would be great if they would up the weight to under 300g and add: collision sensors and a better RF. Going on my 5th MM here due to WiFi interference.

That would completely defeat the primary point of the Mini. Going over 249 grams just makes it another drone subject to all the requirements and regulations of the Mini's bigger brothers. The reason for the 249 gram weight is because more and more countries are using 250 grams as the weight under which you don't need to register, pass knowledge tests/need a drone pilots license and for which the regulations are less stringent.

If you want all those features, then you may as well save your money and get one of the Mini's bigger brothers. But then you lose the main advantage of the Mini.

That would completely defeat the primary point of the Mini. Going over 249 grams just makes it another drone subject to all the requirements and regulations of the Mini's bigger brothers. The reason for the 249 gram weight is because more and more countries are using 250 grams as the weight under which you don't need to register, pass knowledge tests/need a drone pilots license and for which the regulations are less stringent.

If you want all those features, then you may as well save your money and get one of the Mini's bigger brothers. But then you lose the main advantage of the Mini.
In Europe the 249g becomes Irrelevant come July 2020, due to the onboard camera it will require registration under new ESEA.

where to fly... in Canada the Air is restricted as over 250gram , I am registered and have my drone License... and struggle to find a place to fly... I fly my mini every second day, take it on walks these days as keeping social distancing.

I might have missed the memo. How hard is it to fly a drone above 250g in Canada? As in, besides getting the license and all, how restricted is the airspace?

Yeah......no.

The Sub 250g market no longer has much of an advantage in most regions.
From July you’ll need to register the Mini the EU and UK. So, there’s not much point in spending a lot of money on R&D on something with little to gain.

What's the new rules about registering the Mini from July in the UK?

What's the new rules about registering the Mini from July in the UK?
It’s November now as it got pushed back. Basically, weight is irrelevant as far as registration goes. Any drone with a camera needs to be registered.

I might have missed the memo. How hard is it to fly a drone above 250g in Canada? As in, besides getting the license and all, how restricted is the airspace?
Depending on the region, it can be quite tough. In my area, some of the best views of Toronto are in controlled airspace meaning you can't fly there without the advanced license. Almost all of Toronto is class C airspace so it is tough to fly legally. At home, I can fly my Mini but can't fly my Phantom. I have to say I fly more now than I did because of the mini. It just opened up so many new areas that were off limits.

Other areas outside of the major cities are pretty wide open due to sparse population.

Do you have a link? I'd like to read more

See page 11. Specifically the following;

The UAS operator registration principles are generally the same as those that were introduced in the UK from 30 November 2019 under articles 94C and 94D of Air Navigation Order 2016 with the following notable exception:
▪ Operators are required to register when they operate an unmanned aircraft that is less than 250g in mass if it:
▪ is equipped with a sensor that can capture personal data (i.e. a camera or ‘listening device’), unless it is classed as a toy

Last edited:

See page 11. Specifically the following;

The UAS operator registration principles are generally the same as those that were introduced in the UK from 30 November 2019 under articles 94C and 94D of Air Navigation Order 2016 with the following notable exception:
▪ Operators are required to register when they operate an unmanned aircraft that is less than 250g in mass if it:
▪ is equipped with a sensor that can capture personal data (i.e. a camera or ‘listening device’), unless it is classed as a toy
Depending on the region, it can be quite tough. In my area, some of the best views of Toronto are in controlled airspace meaning you can't fly there without the advanced license. Almost all of Toronto is class C airspace so it is tough to fly legally. At home, I can fly my Mini but can't fly my Phantom. I have to say I fly more now than I did because of the mini. It just opened up so many new areas that were off limits.

Other areas outside of the major cities are pretty wide open due to sparse population.
OK, I am strongly considering buying a Mavic Mini because of how vast the NFZ is in Vancouver, BC. So just to be clear, I can fly a Mavic Mini & don’t need permission from anyone including the local Parks Board at the dropped pin location (Lighthouse Park) in this screenshot on my Drone Pilot Canada app. Would like your thoughts & recommendations.A9113D50-1C92-4317-9E63-25FD6BDD6D4F.png

OK, I am strongly considering buying a Mavic Mini because of how vast the NFZ is in Vancouver, BC.

Unless the rules are different in Canada, no drones can legally fly in a NFZ without special permission. The only difference with the Mini is that (because it’s <250g) it doesn’t need to be registered or require a pilot’s license. However, all of the basic rules still apply.

Reactions: pawnie
Unless the rules are different in Canada, no drones can legally fly in a NFZ without special permission. The only difference with the Mini is that (because it’s <250g) it doesn’t need to be registered or require a pilot’s license. However, all of the basic rules still apply.
Doing a little bit of research, we may be a little different in Canada in that at least for what I posted where it is a NFZ for Basic Pilots & Advance Pilots require permission from the harbour air authority, as long as you are 5.9km or further from the water aerodrome, you can fly a Mavic Mini. The only rule that applies is what’s on this screencap below.
C657F703-E23B-474B-9CAA-7C836B3A3BB3.png

With the Mini being new and having some growing pains, a Mavic, Mini 2 should be coming soon (or at least by Oct 2020)

I think the idea of a sub 250 gram drone with 3d gimbal is amazing, but as with very cheap competitive drones now having active track, and waypoint mission, etc, (which are software driven) and the Mini having some structural issues, such as flexing arm causing props to hit, I think it’s time for a Mavic Mini 2!

Why is a new Mavic Mini 2 coming in Oct 2020 or sooner?
Firstly look at the history of the Mavic Pro one of DJI’s most successful consumer drones as reference. They had a steady stream of “New”

Sept 2016 First Mavic Pro
Aug 2017 Mavic Pro Platinum
Aug 2018 Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom
2019 nothing new for the Pro
2020 Q1 Mavic 3

Secondly if DJI is banking on sub 250 gram market to be huge, they should be releasing a new Mini 2 by Oct 2020, or sooner if the current model has structural issues!

Mavic Mini 2, seems a no brainer, as most folks want 3 things:
1) fix the arms so they don’t flex and props hit
2) add active track and waypoint mission, more quick pics, etc. this is a simple software add on and if folks are afraid to crash the drone, as there are no front sensors, then don’t use the feature.
3) ability to fly In NFZ as this is allowed with sub 250 gram drones. Or limit to a reasonable distance so folks can fly the Mini in their backyards?

Yes 2 of the 3 above are software fixes, so at a minimum we should expect a firmware upgrade soon. But admitting the arms flex would require a recall or new arms to be sent out, which is very expensive. An add on fix the arms, would surely take the weight to 250 grams, above the magic “fly everywhere”.

So a logical and lucrative fix would be to release a Mini 2 with all the features everyone wants while addressing the flexing arms. Way cheaper for DJI, and creates another amazing little sub 250 gram drone all current Mini owners will want, and all those sitting on the fence due to the issues listed above, will now surely jump in!

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Mini is an amazing drone, but I will sit on the fence till the Mini 2 releases!

What are your thoughts?
Tick tock, tick tock.....

I don’t really care about the weight.

I only wish it would have occusync. An increased weight would make it also more stable against stronger winds but the size has to stay the same or slightly larger because they will have to increase the battery size a bit, and please add USB-C for fast charging.

I would also consider a higher price (I.e. 100€). I did not buy the Air2 because of the huge controller which makes it together with the drone almost same size as the pro.

Cheers, Alexander
Munich

I don’t really care about the weight.

That’s probably going to be the most important factor for drone users in Europe when the new rules come in at the end of this year. Drones weighing less than 250g will have far fewer restrictions than heavier drones - you’ll be able to fly over uninvolved people, for example.

With the Mini being new and having some growing pains, a Mavic, Mini 2 should be coming soon (or at least by Oct 2020)

I think the idea of a sub 250 gram drone with 3d gimbal is amazing, but as with very cheap competitive drones now having active track, and waypoint mission, etc, (which are software driven) and the Mini having some structural issues, such as flexing arm causing props to hit, I think it’s time for a Mavic Mini 2!

Why is a new Mavic Mini 2 coming in Oct 2020 or sooner?
Firstly look at the history of the Mavic Pro one of DJI’s most successful consumer drones as reference. They had a steady stream of “New”

Sept 2016 First Mavic Pro
Aug 2017 Mavic Pro Platinum
Aug 2018 Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom
2019 nothing new for the Pro
2020 Q1 Mavic 3

Secondly if DJI is banking on sub 250 gram market to be huge, they should be releasing a new Mini 2 by Oct 2020, or sooner if the current model has structural issues!

Mavic Mini 2, seems a no brainer, as most folks want 3 things:
1) fix the arms so they don’t flex and props hit
2) add active track and waypoint mission, more quick pics, etc. this is a simple software add on and if folks are afraid to crash the drone, as there are no front sensors, then don’t use the feature.
3) ability to fly In NFZ as this is allowed with sub 250 gram drones. Or limit to a reasonable distance so folks can fly the Mini in their backyards?

Yes 2 of the 3 above are software fixes, so at a minimum we should expect a firmware upgrade soon. But admitting the arms flex would require a recall or new arms to be sent out, which is very expensive. An add on fix the arms, would surely take the weight to 250 grams, above the magic “fly everywhere”.

So a logical and lucrative fix would be to release a Mini 2 with all the features everyone wants while addressing the flexing arms. Way cheaper for DJI, and creates another amazing little sub 250 gram drone all current Mini owners will want, and all those sitting on the fence due to the issues listed above, will now surely jump in!

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Mini is an amazing drone, but I will sit on the fence till the Mini 2 releases!

What are your thoughts?
Though I respect your thoughts. Not a chance. 100%.

Reactions: maelstrom
That’s probably going to be the most important factor for drone users in Europe when the new rules come in at the end of this year. Drones weighing less than 250g will have far fewer restrictions than heavier drones - you’ll be able to fly over uninvolved people, for example.
Yeah, come new year, the MM is the only currently selling DJI drone that will be able to (possibly) fly in the A1 category. All the other models will be more restricted, and in two years even more restricted. Depending on MTOM/FW interpretation MM is quite possibly the only good investment currently for the EU market. Why would DJI upgrade it? They basically HAVE to upgrade to MA3 and M3P. As it currently stands, buying a MA2 or M2 in EU (without a EASA clasification) is not a good idea. I would expect MA3 before MM2.

Actually, there is one scenario where another sub-250g dron from DJI in this year would make sense, for EU market. All the current sub-250g drones will forever stay in the category with the least restrictions (in UK, possibly in the EU). From 2021. forward, only the new models with MTOM less than 250g (so probably with a standard mass closer to 200-220g) and possibly additional hardware security features will be able to fly in the same category as MM. It is quite possible that any 249g drone that is put to the EU market before 2021. will continue to be the most powerful drone (most massive / most powerful motors / largest battery) available in the EU in that least-restrictive category. DJI could keep selling the same model for 5 or more years and still be competitive. That would be a smart move. If the MM2, on the other hand, gets released in 2021. I would expect it to be less powerful than the original (slower, less able to fight a wind) or more restricted in the EU and so not such a clear upgrade.

It is quite possible that any 249g drone that is put to the EU market before 2021. will continue to be the most powerful drone (most massive / most powerful motors / largest battery) available in the EU in that least-restrictive category. DJI could keep selling the same model for 5 or more years and still be competitive.

According to CAP 1789, legacy drones weighing <250g sold up to 31 December 2022 will continue to be legal to operate in the A1 subcategory after that date. However, any drone sold after that date (irrespective of weight) must comply with the new class regulations and be certified as such. This means that the existing Mini could not be sold legally in the UK or the EU after 31 December 2022. All drones weighing >250g sold before 1 January 2023 without the relevant class marking will eventually fall into the much more restrictive A3 Legacy class. In the Q&A section in the back of the document it says:

"Can an existing UAS be ‘retrospectively marked’ with a ‘C’ Class from 31 December 2020 (e.g. will my 3kg drone will become a ‘C2 Class’ aircraft)?

No, this is completely wrong! The ‘CE’ Class markings do not work retrospectively. So, a current 3kg aircraft, for example, will never become a C2 model; it will only ever be ‘a legacy unmanned aircraft that weighs 3kg’. In the same fashion, a current 800g aircraft will not become a C1 model; it is just ‘a legacy unmanned
aircraft that weighs 800g’.

In order to be given a particular Class marking, the aircraft must have been designed and manufactured to the relevant standards of that class marking. The only way you can get an aircraft with a ‘CE class marking’ is to buy one that has this marking."

Wow, is that true? Wish they'd bring that to Canada. It's really the only thing restricting me right now (must maintain a 30m horizontal distance from uninvolved people). Really puts a damper on what I can legally do in a heavily populated area. Seems kind of silly I can be 120m in the air but need to be 30m horizontally away as if the thing just drops out of the sky straight down at a whim. If it's 120m up, it ain't landing exactly below it's position.

LOL, just did the math for fun. If I'm 120m up and 30m horizontal away from someone, my distance from them is 123.7m. So much safer than 120m!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots