DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI smart controller antenna mod-alientech mavic 2 zoom

Babushca00@

Reactions
I’ve installed the alientech duo antenna booster and taken my smart controller apart. Where you are supposed to connect the modded antennae onto that clip with that little itty-bitty nipple, which is incredibly hard, I’ve ended up, squishing it, then soldering it, and then trying to repair it and ended up ripping that off of the board. Is there anyway that I can repair this? Or get new connections for the antenna?

Attachments

• 89ADA0C1-8803-40FA-B429-F310B997C6B9.jpeg
    89ADA0C1-8803-40FA-B429-F310B997C6B9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • A295FD04-1B84-4E05-989B-DA7416B28D59.jpeg
    A295FD04-1B84-4E05-989B-DA7416B28D59.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
I’ve installed the alientech duo antenna booster and taken my smart controller apart. Where you are supposed to connect the modded antennae onto that clip with that little itty-bitty nipple, which is incredibly hard, I’ve ended up, squishing it, then soldering it, and then trying to repair it and ended up ripping that off of the board. Is there anyway that I can repair this? Or get new connections for the antenna?
You can get replacement sockets from Adafruit (see below). They are surface mounting devices and can be hand soldered with a VERY fine soldering iron tip. Too much heat though and you risk lifting the tracks off the PCB. I would recommend using solder paste rather than the usual solder. You only need to drop a little on the PCB pads. Place the socket gently with tweezers and hold in place while you solder the first connector. Once cooled just apply heat to the remaining pads without adding additional solder.

.Antenna Connector

Oh man, I'm sorry you ended up with this situation. I've replaced antennas on about 8 remote controls. I always feared I would damage the tiny fragile antenna sockets each time. I was lucky, I never damaged one. I was so scared of crushing the socket, so I always used very light pressure.

If it didn't click in place with light pressure, it meant I had not properly aligned the two connectors. Once aligned they click together fairly easy with very light pressure. If you find yourself applying excessive pressure, the connectors are probably not aligned properly and the risk of crushing the socket increases.

For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would want to take a chance on ruining a perfectly good controller by carrying out a modification that wasn't required in the first place. Was the range that bad that you couldn't go BVLOS even if you wanted to.

For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would want to take a chance on ruining a perfectly good controller by carrying out a modification that wasn't required in the first place. Was the range that bad that you couldn't go BVLOS even if you wanted to.
Some of us fly with goggles, and to achieve a greater flight distance, this is a modification that is required.

Reactions: Babushca00@
Most people on this forum won't talk about their BVLOS flying. But I suspect most do it and do it regularly. However. many want to increase the signal from and to their drones so they can fly at lower altitude in areas with high object or radio interference. Alientech Antennas, especially the powered ones, increase range and reduce object and radio interference dramatically.

I can fly much lower and further, with no signal disruption, when I mod my Remotes with Alientech antennas. I can also fly double the range and lower than that of a non-modified controller. The only limiting factor on distance becomes the battery.

I've become very skilled at antenna replacement in almost all remotes DJI makes, including autel remotes. I have never damaged one remote. The only "damage" that occurs is the scuff marks left along the case where it needs to be pried open with a thin metal spatula or tool of some sort to separate the two halves.

Most people on this forum won't talk about their BVLOS flying. But I suspect most do it and do it regularly. However. many want to increase the signal from and to their drones so they can fly at lower altitude in areas with high object or radio interference. Alientech Antennas, especially the powered ones, increase range and reduce object and radio interference dramatically.

I can fly much lower and further, with no signal disruption, when I mod my Remotes with Alientech antennas. I can also fly double the range and lower than that of a non-modified controller. The only limiting factor on distance becomes the battery.

I've become very skilled at antenna replacement in almost all remotes DJI makes, including autel remotes. I have never damaged one remote. The only "damage" that occurs is the scuff marks left along the case where it needs to be pried open with a thin metal spatula or tool of some sort to separate the two halves.
Thank you for that excellent information/explanation Don Testme. I understand more fully now the reason for modding the remotes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu