DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller - hard shell case

pjnorris

Reactions
Anyone found or using a hard shell case for the new DJI controller? I need to travel with it and usually check it in my luggage in hardshell cases. How about a screen guard when the controller is in a bag?

Anyone found or using a hard shell case for the new DJI controller? I need to travel with it and usually check it in my luggage in hardshell cases. How about a screen guard when the controller is in a bag?
I ended up just ordering a tempered glass screen protector for it, from China so it won't be here for a few weeks. I'm going through the same thing trying to find a hard case or getting custom foam for my Nanuk 920 so I can keep it all in one case.

Look at cases for GPS devices (the kind you hang in your car window) and hard drives - many of them are very close to the same size as the DJi controller. Lowepro also makes some hard shell cases that should be a close fit.

It also fits in DJI's own Mavic 2 Pro Hard Case.

I used this for my Mavic2 and crystal sky so I didn’t have to keep splitting them,I had to modify the foam inside.
It’s a polar pro case for the crystal sky.
d3c687bbc49451627e1651a76dc4e905.jpg

Reactions: davburr
Look at cases for GPS devices (the kind you hang in your car window) and hard drives - many of them are very close to the same size as the DJi controller. Lowepro also makes some hard shell cases that should be a close fit.

THIS ... is what I just bought. It looks awesome. It also fits in the Fly More shoulder bag but displaces other stuff.

THIS ... is what I just bought. It looks awesome. It also fits in the Fly More shoulder bag but displaces other stuff.

That looks awesome, but way too big for me personally, assuming the photo with the person carrying it is to scale :)

I'm going to be packing everything into a Peak Design Everyday Sling 10L, including the smart controller. A neoprene sleeve could work too now that I think about it. Just something to add a layer of protection.

That looks awesome, but way too big for me personally, assuming the photo with the person carrying it is to scale :)

It shows the controller in the case with a minimum amount of foam around it, and the longest exterior dimension shows as 10.5 inches ... so that might be a stock human photo of a generic product. Not sure. My plan is to use my big Dacckit carry bag and this monitor case when I'm toting the "whole enchilada" around (including all 5 batteries, spare props, chargers, etc.), and use the Fly More shoulder bag with aircraft, smart controller, and 3 batteries (plenty of room) when mobility is the priority. At least that's my plan ... for now.

Reactions: CanadaDrone

The "Official Issue" hard case, the "Protector" sold by DJI, supports the SRC. There are two removable pieces of foam where the smaller controller goes. Remove them to fit the SRC. Perhaps a little speedy, but it does work.

Do you have a picture you can post?

The "Official Issue" hard case, the "Protector" sold by DJI, supports the SRC. There are two removable pieces of foam where the smaller controller goes. Remove them to fit the SRC. Perhaps a little speedy, but it does work.

The PolarPro Crystal sky case fits perfectly, the 7.8 version.

I was on a wait list to get that case and finally gave up. I bought GPC Mavic 2 case instead. No way to put the SMC in the GPC case. Now I wish I had waited.

I bought an Apache 4800 case from Harbor Freight (Pelican knockoff) and made my own for M2, FlyMore kit, ND filters, card holders and Smart Controller. When a case comes out that I like, I'll replace the foam and use this for something else.

IMG_1220.jpeg

I bought an Apache 4800 case from Harbor Freight (Pelican knockoff) and made my own for M2, FlyMore kit, ND filters, card holders and Smart Controller. When a case comes out that I like, I'll replace the foam and use this for something else.

View attachment 61072

I also have the custom case disease :)

When I can't find the specific case for my application, I order a pelican and these closed foam multi level inserts. Then use a hot knife to carefully craft the cutouts. It is expensive, but the final product looks awesome and much better than the pluck foam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076H2XWMY/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0723HCP5M/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBDZFK9/

PS - if you are not up for the hot knife, use a super sharp regular blade to make the cutouts, then use a lighter to (very carefully) smooth out any rough edges of the cutout.

Reactions: hsvflyer
This was the closest I could find size wise. I'll have it tomorrow and will update if any problems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078TLSZ9T

So I received this case and it fits well. With a cloth over the screen for protection and cleaning, it is pretty snug. Will certainly suffice pending some custom cases coming on the market. Here's a photo.

IMG_4331 2.jpg

Last edited:
Modified the DJI hard case for MP2 with a couple of foam cuts to get a perfect fit RH side next to battery storage.. For added protection screen side put in some soft felt adhesive sheet. I also put a screen protector strip on the smart controller screen.

The MC Cases cases work with the Smart Controller but you have to sacrifice the covered compartment and set it in on an angle. It does work though. I have a DJI Mavic 2 Protector case on the way. I found it for $89 shipped and with another $15 off code, I got it for $74. Not bad.

Here's a pic of the Explorer case15488896779085187368243290190479.jpg15488898008334133090593070921850.jpg

Reactions: beanbubba

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure