DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller really as bad as its reputation?

I am seriously considering buying a stock remote for around $80 and selling the SC.
Really, the stock remote is only 80 bucks? Where (in Europe) can I buy it?

What I can tell you even tho others say great I would not spend that money on something that old.it will be replaced sooner then later
Yeah that thought has also crossed my mind..

it works great even in sunny weather (although it still is best to stand in the shade while viewing your screen).
Are you saying that even the 1000nits of the SC are not good enough to properly see in bright sunlight? Also, how about range in Europe, especially in areas with a lot of interference?

Last edited:
Really, the stock remote is only 80 bucks? Where (in Europe) can I buy it?

Yeah that thought has also crossed my mind..

Are you saying that even the 1000nits of the SC are not good enough to properly see in bright sunlight? Also, how about range in Europe, especially in areas with a lot of interference?
No it works and you can see everything, but it's still better in the shade. Range is good, I read that setting image-quality to smooth instead of HD wil give more range. I have to try that. At the moment my max. range was 2 kilometres, but could go further.

Recently I flew with 5 other drone enthousiasts and at that moment the range was really shortened to around 1,2 kilometres.

I'd also appreciate this information :) That said, there must've been a reason for you to get the range extenders right?
Not really, I just wasn’t going to take the risk, for the sake of about £11 uk pounds. Can’t for the life of find where I bought them. It was via Amazon and came from the USA.

I have had a SC for use with my M2P since I purchased it last year. I would absolutely buy a SC again.

I don't have anything new to add on the "pro" side of things, so I'll add my one major complaint.

I started doing work requiring mapping and this is where the SC falls short. I ended up purchasing a standard controller so I could install Drone Deploy on the mobile device. I tried all manner of work arounds, but they just didn't cut it.

The best solution out there for SC mapping appeared to be DJI's Pilot PE (pilot app for non M2EA drones). As there was a lack of documentation, no built in camera profile for the M2P and no ability to plan from a computer - I didn't get any further than installing Pilot PE on my SC and starting it up and playing with it. One could probably make this work.

I am a user in the US, so I can't comment on the CE/transmission range issue.

Had my SC since it was released and use it on my fleet of M2P's. The only downside is the lack of 3rd party software use such as Dronedeploy. Other than that I won't fly without it!

Go and take a look at the 7 inch Feel World 2,200nits of brightness. I use that with my SC and it connects HDMI to HDMI, I choose to make the FeelWorld monitor show what My camera is seeing and the rest for flight etc. is on my SC screen. I think they run about $235 at B&H but I got mine as an open box on ebay for $177.
Agree, the 2200nits FeelWorld monitor is very nice. I also use it with my DSLR. For $320, you can get it and a very good mount for the SC at:
LifThor SC Pro / 7" FeelWorld monitor COMBO

I bought the MA2 and SC bundle and haven't regretted it one bit. I always keep VLOS and I'm not overly interested in super long range flights so I can't speak to the lack of range with it. The ONLY thing I wish DJI had added to the SC is the ability to put a sim card in it for data instead of using my phone hotspot. Aside from that (very minor) complaint, it has always worked flawlessly and I don't regret it one bit.

I loved my Smart Controller (for sale in the classified section). Never had a problem using it with my MA2. Far better than the standard controller, unfortunately it can't compensate for rapidly failing eyesight!
Im with you, a great addition and as an ex Typhoon pilot I love the integrated system, my tip for failing eyesight was to purchase a set of Epson Moverio glasses, these plug directly into the HDMI socket and give me a semi transparent heads up display with info I can actually read.

Reactions: halifax
Great device for convenience but way to small screen for me. I have enough problems seeing my iPhone 12 Pro Max which is larger than the SC even in good lighting, this, while bright was (for me) horrible trying to see any screen text especially maps. They need an 8" version which I'd bet they will eventually have. While my iPad Mini 5 is nowhere near as bright as the SC, with a sunshade it is much better for me which was why I'm selling my SC.

Last edited:
If anyone needs a lightly used SC as I mentioned 2 posts back please PM me. Just not using mine, it's too small for my 73yr old eyes. Please don't post here, use forum messages.

If anyone needs a lightly used SC as I mentioned 2 posts back please PM me. Just not using mine, it's too small for my 73yr old eyes. Please don't post here, use forum messages.
I've 74 year old eyes. Use multifocal contact lenses and see every thing sharp near to far.

Reactions: RetiredInFL
I've 74 year old eyes. Use multifocal contact lenses and see every thing sharp near to far.

Thanks Dr Marty Markoe famed ophthalmologist, but what helps one doesn't necessarily help the other. :D I wish it was that easy a solution. I'll send you my macular degeneration retina scans so you can please prescribe the proper lenses that will make me see better than I have been able to for the last 5 years. ;)

Last edited:
Im with you, a great addition and as an ex Typhoon pilot I love the integrated system, my tip for failing eyesight was to purchase a set of Epson Moverio glasses, these plug directly into the HDMI socket and give me a semi transparent heads up display with info I can actually read
Thanks Dr Marty Markoe famed ophthalmologist, but what helps one doesn't necessarily help the other. :D I wish it was that easy a solution. I'll send you my macular degeneration retina scans so you can please prescribe the proper lenses that will make me see better than I have been able to for the last 5 years. ;)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N