DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI stop making Drones

100% android user - i use a samsung s7 and a nexus 7 II and have no issues. you can get a used nexus 7 II on ebay for $40

Not forever, just take a minute. The Mavic 2 Zoom is an incredible piece of technology. I have been flying it the last couple days, but not very far or too high. Why you ask? Because the App is junk. Connection issues, download issues, App crashing issues. I have a $1300 item that I'm scared to use to its full potential because I don't want to crash/lose it. Take those genius technicians that you have, and task them with making the interface between the operator and the drone more reliable. Every time I take it up I am not confident that I will see it again. Oh and the DJI assistant 2 won't even recognize my Mavic 2. Maybe it's the computer, I will try my daughter's MacBook. Anyway, it is like having a junker car in a snowstorm and praying that it will start. It takes the fun out of going flying and replaces it with anxiety.
Your correct to be nervous as I had total connection loss and could not re connect to the controller and lost my Mavic Pro , it flew away and landed in the ocean 1 mile out...App is crap, I kinda new this would happen one day and my worse fears occured. This was after firmware update in July 2018...it was bad firmware as many others had the same thing...I was one of the unlucky operators to lose his drone.

Reactions: Jimmytpi
OP: my G6 didn't work with the mp2 pro either. I bought a Samsung S9 plus, and the screen visibility is unreal in daylight, well worth the upgrade. TMobile had a buy one get one that took some sting off.

It does suck that the G6 didn't work, but I love it with the Samsung.

Also of note, I did get it working with my kindle fire hd8 when it didn't work with the g6. Go figure. But the screen on the Samsung S9 plus is well worth it.

You can get a device used that works well with the drone. You wouldn't let an inexperienced driver drive your car. Don't use an incompatible device to control your drone. I have a friend that's the same way. He's super cheap and won't get a new device. I connect my iPhone 5 and it controls his drone fine and his device has issues. You can't help those who won't help themselves.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Maybe I can help.
If you’re in the US and are wanting to buy a used iPhone 6s Plus, I have one available.
It’s grey and the 128gb version. Just upgraded a couple months ago to iPhone X so I can sell the 6s Plus for $325. It’s unlocked and has no cracks or damage as I’ve always kept a case on it as well as screen protector.
If you’re interested let me know and I’ll send pics or even a video so you can see it works fine.

Reactions: Wilbur
I just spent $1300 on a drone, I really dont want to go out and buy a $1000 IPhone. And if that is necessary, it should be in the specs. This phone is great and I have never had a problem with it doing anything else. Expandable memory makes it nice. I just want to able to take the drone out of the case and fly it. I dont want do have to hope that it will work today.
I just spent $1300 on a drone, I really dont want to go out and buy a $1000 IPhone. And if that is necessary, it should be in the specs. This phone is great and I have never had a problem with it doing anything else. Expandable memory makes it nice. I just want to able to take the drone out of the case and fly it. I dont want do have to hope that it will work today.
I was faced with a similar predicament my old Droid Turbo was too fat for the controller, after shaving the rubber grabbers of the RC and now having a loose fit I decided the most economical route was to buy CrystalSky 5.5 ($469.00) and keep the phone as a phone. So many of the favored phones for M2 Pro were more expensive than the CS and I'm thinking not as reliable connection. Not to mention having to reload all the apps, addresses and miscellaneous. I'm happy, and have a dedicated UAS

The problem is not with your phone hardware it's with the Android OS. DJI or anyone else writing software to run on the Android platform run into these issue all the time. The issue is that Google gives the OS away for FREE to phone manufactures and really puts no restrictions on them limited their modification of the Android OS. This makes it nearly impossible for software developers to be sure their app will run successfully on all Android devices even when limiting the OS versions that work with their apps.

Reactions: Budge and Brett 21
From DJI Mavic Pro – Specs, Tutorials & Guides – DJI:

APP / LIVE VIEW
  • iOS V4.3.0
    Requires iOS 9.0 or above.
    Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4.
    Optimized for iPhone X.

Android V4.3.0
    Requires Android 5.0 or above.
    Compatible with Samsung S9+, Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Note 8, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P20, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 8, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo X20, Vivo X9, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, OPPO R11, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Mix 2, Mi 8, Mi 6, Redmi Note 5, Google Pixel 2XL, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5T.

Isn't interesting that there is not one LG device on this list, wonder why?

As a lifelong Android/Samsung user,I too had connectivity issues at times.I gate Apple,I hate their prices.However,after reading threads in forum for some time about Apple products flawlessly I found a new iPad Mini 4 128 GB for 310 dinero.When people in this forum say "dedicated "device,that means nothing but apps related to flight.If you"ve got Candy Crush Saga,Facebook and dozens of other apps running in the background,it affects performance.Not one issue with the Mini 4.Not one on HUNDREDS of flights.128 GB is overkill,since this is a dedicated device,no videos, no YouTube,no Facebook so that amount of memory isn't necessary but the price couldn't be beat.Here's a link to a video that helps to explain the Android camp and Apple camp.Still not an Apple fan but the device runs the Go App,ANY version perfectly.

Reactions: hoggdoc
The problem is not with your phone hardware it's with the Android OS. DJI or anyone else writing software to run on the Android platform run into these issue all the time. The issue is that Google gives the OS away for FREE to phone manufactures and really puts no restrictions on them limited their modification of the Android OS. This makes it nearly impossible for software developers to be sure their app will run successfully on all Android devices even when limiting the OS versions that work with their apps.
AMEN

Reactions: kilomikebravo
I am using a Samsung Galaxy 4 with all of my drones

I'm afraid you are w-a-y over simplifying the matter being discussed. :) The functions of the aircraft are an inter reliance on the software, firmware, and hardware of three items, the controller, the aircraft, and the monitor/phone. When that aircraft is in flight it perform thousands of calculations and samplings just to hover in place. Whether using satellites to help it report it's position to the monitor, or the altimeter location to report to altitude gain/loss, or streaming video from the camera to the monitor, or watching out for the tree limbs while being nice enough to let you know one is in front of the camera - while stopping and making noise. Then you hit the sticks, increasing altitude and speed and all that data changes and somehow manages to get reported back to your cheap phone (that you just finished playing games, calling, texting, downloading operating updates, completing fake yelp reviews! You'd do better to familiarize yourself with what it actually takes to accomplish the thousands of calculations, etc., that to waste time trying to simplify by blaming google. FWIW, iOS is FREE, too. Go4 is FREE, .... The reason DJI explains what hardware is needed, is.... presumably that they understand the hardware and operating system capabilities, which.... match their requirements.

Iphone7+ works fine for me - no crashes yet. But I wouldn't mind a bigger screen like an iPad mini.... or iPad.

Back when I started, the Mavic Pro box said it was "made for iOS" so I acquired a refurbished iPad Air on Amazon for $150.00.

Don't know if the Mavic 2 has the same iOS designation but if it does, I can state that the iPad Air has run perfectly, not a single glitch. Might be a good investment for you, and you can still take phone calls while flying. Thumbswayup

I also dislike Apple products, and it was a hassle learning how to run iOS after 23 years of Windows experience... however the iPad Air display is really good, and the thing works. $150 isn't a huge investment to get a 9.7" retina display interface.

Not forever, just take a minute. The Mavic 2 Zoom is an incredible piece of technology. I have been flying it the last couple days, but not very far or too high. Why you ask? Because the App is junk. Connection issues, download issues, App crashing issues. I have a $1300 item that I'm scared to use to its full potential because I don't want to crash/lose it. Take those genius technicians that you have, and task them with making the interface between the operator and the drone more reliable. Every time I take it up I am not confident that I will see it again. Oh and the DJI assistant 2 won't even recognize my Mavic 2. Maybe it's the computer, I will try my daughter's MacBook. Anyway, it is like having a junker car in a snowstorm and praying that it will start. It takes the fun out of going flying and replaces it with anxiety.

You might try a few things before you replace the phone:
1. In the app, turn off recording video locally. Let the app focus on flying. The magic is recorded on the drone itself.
2. Make sure that DJI Go4 is the only app running while flying. Let the phone focus on flying.
3. Turn off your data/wifi. Put your phone in airplane mode when flying. Were you planning to take a call? Let the ___ focus on flying.
4. Use an excellent USB cable. Make sure it is tightly connected.
That said, I still have occasional Go4 crashes on my ZTE android. But not nearly as many as before I tried these 4 things.

Your correct to be nervous as I had total connection loss and could not re connect to the controller and lost my Mavic Pro , it flew away and landed in the ocean 1 mile out...App is crap, I kinda new this would happen one day and my worse fears occured. This was after firmware update in July 2018...it was bad firmware as many others had the same thing...I was one of the unlucky operators to lose his drone.
Connection loss should only cause the Mavic to hover briefly and then return to home.
The Mavic won't fly away anywhere just because the connection is lost.
If you wanted to find out what really happened, the flight log might have some clues.

I was told by my DJI store that any device should really be no more than 2 years old to get best results.
I'm waiting on my Oppo R11bought 2nd hand as my ZTE T85 won't work, but told maybe in the new year. Can't wait that long, even waiting for the oppo to arrive is a pain.

This "trick" works with Mavic Pro.
1. Start app only , enter camera view and scroll around the map. This is to get the surroundings, quite helpful during flight. Once you have the area map in your Go app, the next flights in the same area will not require this step. I think Litchi does not save offline maps as DJI Go does, if you consider buying Litchi. But the disconnection issues will be just the same
2. Put mobile in airplane mode. Leave location on. Also wifi on should not interfere. The main thing is that you are not connected to the network/mobile operator.
3. Do a normal connection/startup sequence and you should be ok hopefully.
4. When finished flying do not forget to put the phone back in normal mode (airplane mode off) so you can get calls :) I do this before even turning remote off.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure