DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

It's amusing because by sticking to .400 you have forever limited yourself to that FW, because you didn't want to be limited by DJI's "encroachment" to our flying freedom. And just like my Titanic analogy how long do you think you can sustain that? In the meantime I'll be flying in airplane mode through my DJI goggles. Oh, the irony.
I am sticking to .400 only until they release something as stable as 400 or if they introduce a feature I want. I'm not worried about this so called "encroachment". I live in a wide open desert. I'm worried about possibly breaking something that's not broken for features I don't want. Where is the sense in that? If I wanted to fly something like an airplane then I would have bought a **** airplane and put my Go Pro on it.

It's amusing because by sticking to .400 you have forever limited yourself to that FW, because you didn't want to be limited by DJI's "encroachment" to our flying freedom. And just like my Titanic analogy how long do you think you can sustain that? In the meantime I'll be flying in airplane mode through my DJI goggles. Oh, the irony.
Your snide rhetoric may may you feel good in some childish way, but I assure you its not making any friends here.

Exactly. This whole discussion is only speculation, as the updates have not been released. No point in worrying about something that may or may not happen.
People here are spending alot of energy bickering over speculation and nonsense. Imagine what will happen if some of the conspiracy theories turn out to be true :eek:

Your snide rhetoric may may you feel good in some childish way, but I assure you its not making any friends here.

I thought I was tossing in my 2 cents in the Mavic forum. Let me double check. Yup, it doesn't say snowflake forum. But you're right it was unnecessarily snide. I've never encountered a bad update not even one that hung up while updating, so I don't understand this obsession with .400.

I thought I was tossing in my 2 cents in the Mavic forum. Let me double check. Yup, it doesn't say snowflake forum. But you're right it was unnecessarily snide. I've never encountered a bad update not even one that hung up while updating, so I don't understand this obsession with .400.
Yes there are many that have had no problems with any updates. However there are many that have had many problems after updating. Mine would probably be just fine but the fact that there are some that have had problems means there is some risk in updating. Given the current features available with the current firmware versions and my lack of interest in any of them just does not justify accepting the risk. But that is not set in stone. If they have a feature that interests me in the future I will accept the risk and update. But to each his own. You continue to enjoy flying like an airplane and I will continue flying like a heli and we will both continue to fly happy. Isn't that what this whole thing is supposed to be about?

Reactions: LongRifle
How sure are we the GEO will no longer be optional? Seems like this will kill urban droning.

Here is my other questions - even with GEO off right now on .700, you still can't get within a mile of airports or near major stadiums. So is this just enhanced GEO fencing or are they actually not going to allow you to fly within 5 miles of any airport (no matter how small)?
I would always go with B in your options... Since .400, DJI has never released an update that makes it easier to fly... every single one of DJIs updates have made NFZs bigger, more of them, and they even added the NFZs perimeter NFZs (yellow circles surrounding the red ones) which is why I am still on .400 :)

I have never had a single issue with an update (technically) but have issues with the geofencing that they are making more and more ridiculous every update... I skipped .500 when going to .600 because of the issues it had with Litchi, but .600 has yellow NFZs around the red NFZs and more NFZs in general. This is my reason for staying on .400... More places that you can fly, even though they still have ******** NFZs that should not exist (heliports on hospitals, small decomissioned airstrips, etc).

If DJI had the NFZ functionality in there to cover their *****, then they would have NFZ show up on your controller, make you hit a liability acceptance prompt, and then fly away. DJI is doing the NFZ to cover their own *****, which in turn screws their user base. It is one thing to say what you should avoid, it is another thing to enforce what you should avoid.

I understand the need for restricting drones in controlled airspace, but in my locality we have the ability to phone the control tower to open the airspace. I have been doing this for years, not just for drones, but for paragliding and other air sports. I take it that DJI now sees this as controlled airspace and will no longer let me fly?
Yes, 100%... That is my fear... I have an airstrip a couple miles from my home, my house is LITERALLY 200ft inside of the gigantic red circle of death, so I cannot fly in my yard without my aluminum foil diaper, putting the drone in ATTI, and limiting it to stupid heights and distances. When the drone somehow sees through it's diaper and gets even a hint of GPS coverage, it automatically starts landing. I have called the flight tower and they are more than happy for me to fly anywhere, anytime, without talking to them at all, as long as my drone stays outside the fence of the airport (total common sense). Instead of being able to fly, DJI tells me that they need a formal letter from the air traffic controller, with a copy of his credentials, before they will even consider sending me a personal update to my controller, removing the NFZ from my Mavic, for only three freaking months... then I have to start the process all over again...

No air traffic controller is going to give me a photocopy of his license... this is literally the stupidest process, for the stupidest post purchase lockdown I have ever seen in my life... Here DJI, here is my $1300, go ahead and post purchase make me forcibly update my firmware so that you can shut my drone down for being near a small private airstrip that you know nothing about because you are 10,000 miles away in another country...

Can someone clarify what's really going on? I havent flown or updated or turned on my Mavic for the past 2 weeks. Sounds like we need to login (via wifi/cellular data) EVERYTIME to fly?? If not, we get restricted to 50m distance & 30m altitude?

I use an iPad Mini 4 with no cellular...so I'm basically screwed since I need to login...? (My phone lags too much for the Go4 app to work)

If you dont update you are ok
But if I do then I have to Login EVERYTIME thus meaning I need WiFi/data? And goodbye iPad :/...

My other question would be why would anyone update then? Every Mavic is grounded at 50m distance & 30m altitude if you don't update??

I apologize if this is answered already, I haven't had the time to read through all the posts.

Thanks

But if I do then I have to Login EVERYTIME thus meaning I need WiFi/data? And goodbye iPad :/...

My other question would be why would anyone update then? Every Mavic is grounded at 50m distance & 30m altitude if you don't update??

I apologize if this is answered already, I haven't had the time to read through all the posts.

Thanks
It's my understanding that it's a one time new log-in AFTER the update. You don't need to log-in every time.

DJI Updates Process For Activating Software And Firmware Updates

DJI Updates Process For Activating Software And Firmware Updates
New Procedure Requires Login After Update; Password Reset Available

DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process for international customers. This new step, to take effect at the end of next week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile. All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same.

Even if you have registered when activating your aircraft upon purchase, you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App. If you have forgotten your password since your initial login, you can reset it using a function within the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.

You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

The feature applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps.

DJI encourages pilots to always follow applicable laws and regulations in the countries where they operate, and provides information about these regulations on its FlySafe website at flysafe.dji.com.

If you update you willl have to login everytime you update the software

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc