DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

Reactions: Spike1
I saw this coming from a mile away.
I bet that .700 already has the code in it. There is no way they would make this statement unless the users had already run into the trap.

Rob

That ruling only applies to RC toys where people fly at clubs.
Drones are NOT except from the new ruling. You still have to register your drone!
At least that's how I read it.

That ruling only applies to RC toys where people fly at clubs.
Drones are NOT except from the new ruling. You still have to register your drone!
At least that's how I read it.

You read incorrect. Only for business use, not applys to recreational.

This ruling applies to all "model aircraft", and "model aircraft" is defined and codified as "(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere; (2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and (3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes."

So yes, for the average person flying Mavic for fun, it is a model aircraft, and you no longer have to register. It is not necessary that one is a member of any "RC club" or the likes. One might still have to fly within VLOS, since arguable that is part and parcel of the definition of a "model aircraft", but notwithstanding anything else to the contrary, it would appear that the 400ft max AGL guideline has also been vacated and done away with, for now. (for larger drones like Inspire I guess? don't sure if 400 AGL is bona fide beyond visual line of sight for something as small as Mavic though, unless a spotter was using a binoculars)

Last edited:
Guy's please tone this down a notch .
Any more argumentative posting or off topic
will be removed . Thank You

I have read that article multiple times and still don't understand what they are talking about. Anyone care to dumb it down for me please?

Essentially, in a few days, DJI Go and DJI Go 4 apps will have new versions. After upgrading to these new versions, users will have to re-activate via at least a login method to their DJI account. At such time, DJI will mark the location of the user, probably via combination of GPS, IP address, credit card info on file, or some other method, and the user will be subject to strict(er) enforcement based on the region of the world that they live in. The GEO will no longer be only "optional" and will make it so that in busy cities, many folks will not be able to fly at all, and have to drive out to the "country". In some countries were drone flying is not allowed, the mavic might not even fly at all. If the user chooses not to consent to this re-registration, the Mavic will be severely limited, including but maynot not limited to things like only being able to fly max altitude of 98feet above the ground, only being able to fly approciatelmy 150 feet from the remote control, and many other registrations like perhaps speed cap and including confirmed NO LIVE feed back to control etc...

So therefore, effectively, they are essentially forcing all users to upgrade. It is likely that once upon upgrade to this new firmware and new app, users via re-registration will be presented and asked to accept a new Terms of Service, etc while might have legal language that says there will be no more downgrading allowed to previous firmware/apps...

This paves the path of the slippery slope to potentially once DJI has the majority of the customers on effective "lock down" that in the future it might technically allow DJI to do things like remotely send a "kill signal" to a drone to permanently disable it from flying, if someone has reported that drone user to DJI etc, or DJI catches that drone user uploading a flight on youtube that was "against the rules" , regular always online during flight so that it can be tracked in real time and sent to law enforcement and FAA and CAA and whatnot, and many other things such as allowing DJI to continue to degrade the performance of the Mavic (for example now only 84% of a full charge battery is actually "usable" as opposed to 90% when it was first sold on earlier firmware, later this number could get to like 70% or even 60% etc) and perhaps also enforce an open ended NFZ where everyone can request airspace above their home or building to be a NFZ, esssentially in the future "allowed flying areas" will be like the ever shrinking "designated smoking areas" or "free speech zones" of today.

Last edited:
Essentially, in a few days, DJI Go and DJI Go 4 apps will have new versions. After upgrading to these new versions, users will have to re-activate via at least a login method to their DJI account. At such time, DJI will mark the location of the user, probably via combination of GPS, IP address, credit card info on file, or some other method, and the user will be subject to strict(er) enforcement based on the region of the world that they live in. The GEO will no longer be only "optional" and will make it so that in busy cities, many folks will not be able to fly at all, and have to drive out to the "country". In some countries were drone flying is not allowed, the mavic might not even fly at all. If the user chooses not to consent to this re-registration, the Mavic will be severely limited, including but maynot not limited to things like only being able to fly max altitude of 98feet above the ground, only being able to fly approciatelmy 150 feet from the remote control, and many other registrations like perhaps speed cap and including confirmed NO LIVE feed back to control etc...

So therefore, effectively, they are essentially forcing all users to upgrade. It is likely that once upon upgrade to this new firmware and new app, users via re-registration will be presented and asked to accept a new Terms of Service, etc while might have legal language that says there will be no more downgrading allowed to previous firmware/apps...

This paves the path of the slippery slope to potentially once DJI has the majority of the customers on effective "lock down" that in the future it might technically allow DJI to do things like remotely send a "kill signal" to a drone to permanently disable it from flying, if someone has reported that drone user to DJI etc, or DJI catches that drone user uploading a flight on youtube that was "against the rules" , regular always online during flight so that it can be tracked in real time and sent to law enforcement and FAA and CAA and whatnot, and many other things such as allowing DJI to continue to degrade the performance of the Mavic (for example now only 84% of a full charge battery is actually "usable" as opposed to 90% when it was first sold on earlier firmware, later this number could get to like 70% or even 60% etc) and perhaps also enforce an open ended NFZ where everyone can request airspace above their home or building to be a NFZ, esssentially in the future "allowed flying areas" will be like the ever shrinking "designated smoking areas" or "free speech zones" of today.
Thanks for clarifying that. It sure makes it a lot more annoying that they want to farther restrict our flying. Makes me want another company to step up and compete more with DJI that would not restrict your flying. I just can't believe how strictly regulated this hobby is becoming. I mean model aircraft with fpv capabilities have existed for many years and nothing was done about it.
I am still on firmware ver 400 and an older version of DJI GO 4. What happens if I don't upgrade?

Thanks for clarifying that. It sure makes it a lot more annoying that they want to farther restrict our flying. Makes me want another company to step up and compete more with DJI that would not restrict your flying. I just can't believe how strictly regulated this hobby is becoming. I mean model aircraft with fpv capabilities have existed for many years and nothing was done about it.
I am still on firmware ver 400 and an older version of DJI GO 4. What happens if I don't upgrade?

Likely, I'm not sure if firmware 400 has a silent counter timer (using GPS-TIME, and you can't fly Mavic without GPS signal, so that means if you power on the Mavic, it WILL know the real time instantly) that will force upgrade after a preset amount of time, but if not, if that isn't the case, you can use an airgap/offline/airplane mode phone or tablet with an old version of DJI Go app /Litchi etc and still keep flying the firmware 400 forever, or for the life of your Mavic. The only downsides is if you wanted extra features like VR Goggles or fixed wing mode flying you would likely have to upgrade to newer versions, otherwise there shouldn't be an issue, hopefully.

Gentleman I honestly think there is little cause for concern. I think "users profile" means DJI is going to be in bed with the government, if you are a person of interest your activities may be curtailed. In certain locations where DJI is in a liability situation, it will allow them to severely abridge operations of the drone

Likely, I'm not sure if firmware 400 has a silent counter timer (using GPS-TIME, and you can't fly Mavic without GPS signal, so that means if you power on the Mavic, it WILL know the real time instantly) that will force upgrade after a preset amount of time, but if not, if that isn't the case, you can use an airgap/offline/airplane mode phone or tablet with an old version of DJI Go app /Litchi etc and still keep flying the firmware 400 forever, or for the life of your Mavic. The only downsides is if you wanted extra features like VR Goggles or fixed wing mode flying you would likely have to upgrade to newer versions, otherwise there shouldn't be an issue, hopefully.
I had that issue when I refused to upgrade to GO 4 (didn't want to upgrade because of all the glitches everyone was talking about). One day when I wanted to fly a message kept coming up saying that I needed to upgrade to GO 4. I didn't have the time or data to upgrade and needed to fly immediately so I put my phone into airplane mode, uninstalled my current version of GO and reinstalled the same version that I had saved on my phone. I then kept the phone in Airplane mode and I was able to continue flying. I eventually had to upgrade though.

Gentleman I honestly think there is little cause for concern. I think "Individuals profile" means DJI is going to be in bed with the government, if you are a person of interest your activities may be curtailed. In certain locations where DJI is in a liability situation, it will allow them to severely abridge operations of the drone

I don't think DJI's intent is to create a 'no fly list' for counter terror purposes in the same manner a TSA "no fly list" we have today. And its not exactly like "spies" will be registering with DJI under their real names and stuff anyhow. So while certainty this can be used to individually target and spy on someone who is a person of interest, it doesn't seem like a practical intent. More likely, DJI is paving the way for the beginning steps of a registration list, being the defacto manufacturer of consumer drones, they are in the unique industry position to drive this, partly the appease governments, partly to benefit themselves. Eventually I could see this going down the route how like we have firearms registration in the USA right now. For example, wanna buy a new drone? It has to go through an DJI authorized dealer. That Dealer must perform check ID in person and those who can't pass a background check will be denied flying privileges. Just like felons cannot vote or people on no fly lists cannot fly, there might be a DJI list of people who are not allowed to fly DJI drones, and whatever criteria DJI sets will be even more strict than the governments criteria, since flying, and especially drone flying, is a privilege and not a constitutionally protected right (such as free speech etc) So I could see this going down the path of, oh so you are on probation? drone flying privileges revoked! Oh you own the IRS backtaxes? You can't fly drones until you pay up. Oh you are late on child support? Oh you are suffering from PTSD? Oh you posted a video or forum post critical of DJI? you get the idea.

I could see Obama saying : if you are too dangerous to fly, you are too dangerous to own a gun,

[erroneously conflating a privilege with a protected second amendment right, the bar for striping someone of their firearms is much higher, criminal conviction beyond a reasonable doubt, than the threshold of denying someone boarding on an aircraft, which can be based on secret suspicion alone]

if you are too dangerous to own a gun, you are too dangerous to buy a drone.

Sliding down the slippery slope we go!

lol

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan