DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Tokyo ( Mavic MINI )

Thanks for postng, good to see it in that part of the world.

This is with the Japanese required lower power battery ?
To keep the MM at 199gm, under 200gm limit ?
I imagine so.

What's your gut feeling on real world run time ?
I see the lower mAh battery is officially stated flight time of 18 mins, but figured maybe 15 mins ?

I imagine so.

I see the lower mAh battery is officially stated flight time of 18 mins, but figured maybe 15 mins ?

Honestly, I can't say at this point. Most of Japan won't see their Mavic Mini's until late November. In the seminar, it was quoted at 18 minutes of flight time. The thing that gets me is that the Mavic Air was quoted at 22 - 25 minutes of flight time. I've seen almost 28min. I have my RTH low battery warning set at 30% all the time. I usually bring it before 20%. I don't want to zero the battery out.

With that said, the Mavic MINI might really be 10 minutes. I'll have 3, maybe 4 batteries though. I don't see any issue.

When I do make my review video, I will most likely describe the Mavic Mini as an "opportunity" drone. This is the drone I can keep in the car. This is the drone I can just grab and go. Every photographer knows that a great shot is dependent on opportunity, the weather, the time, being in the right place.

Japan Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transportation want's drone pilots to file an application 3 weeks in advance. If that pilot knows, where the planets, moons and stars will all be aligned 3 weeks in advance, then he must be a real Nostradamus. If you are reading this, please tell me next months lottery numbers. You could file an application for a weekend you have off, go out to your location, only to find rain and strong winds.
What on Earth did you do all that paperwork for? The Mavic Mini is the solution. If it's so small that I can barely see it in the air, chances are other people won't notice it either. I'm going to get my shot.

P.S: Did you know that Mt. Fuji is one of the most uncooperative mountains to get a picture of? It's rarely picture perfect.

Honestly, I can't say at this point. Most of Japan won't see their Mavic Mini's until late November. In the seminar, it was quoted at 18 minutes of flight time. The thing that gets me is that the Mavic Air was quoted at 22 - 25 minutes of flight time. I've seen almost 28min. I have my RTH low battery warning set at 30% all the time. I usually bring it before 20%. I don't want to zero the battery out.

With that said, the Mavic MINI might really be 10 minutes. I'll have 3, maybe 4 batteries though. I don't see any issue.

When I do make my review video, I will most likely describe the Mavic Mini as an "opportunity" drone. This is the drone I can keep in the car. This is the drone I can just grab and go. Every photographer knows that a great shot is dependent on opportunity, the weather, the time, being in the right place.

Japan Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transportation want's drone pilots to file an application 3 weeks in advance. If that pilot knows, where the planets, moons and stars will all be aligned 3 weeks in advance, then he must be a real Nostradamus. If you are reading this, please tell me next months lottery numbers. You could file an application for a weekend you have off, go out to your location, only to find rain and strong winds.
What on Earth did you do all that paperwork for? The Mavic Mini is the solution. If it's so small that I can barely see it in the air, chances are other people won't notice it either. I'm going to get my shot.

P.S: Did you know that Mt. Fuji is one of the most uncooperative mountains to get a picture of? It's rarely picture perfect.

Thanks for the feedback, didn't realise the release there was much later than other places.
I was figuring if flight time was 15 mins, that's not too bad.

For me, it would be to keep the bird well under 250g, even with a bright skin and small strobe for VLOS.
I think when travelling, the fact most countries with advanced airspace policies are having that under 250g for licencing and / or registration, it will be far less hassle when going through a few places with that legislation.

That and the super small light package.

Good to hear about the fact the mini will be so good to fly in Japan with those application requirements.

I'm holding off now until the IOS bugs are flattened by DJI, and to see IF I can purchase the 1100mAh batteries outside Japan.
Should know once this release thing settles a bit :)
I would get the flymore with 3 x 2400mAh batts, and probably 4 or so or the 1100 for travel.

I look forward to hearing / seeing you review when you get the new Mini and get around to testing it.

And good luck with Mt Fuji !!

Thanks for the feedback, didn't realise the release there was much later than other places.
I was figuring if flight time was 15 mins, that's not too bad.

For me, it would be to keep the bird well under 250g, even with a bright skin and small strobe for VLOS.
I think when travelling, the fact most countries with advanced airspace policies are having that under 250g for licencing and / or registration, it will be far less hassle when going through a few places with that legislation.

That and the super small light package.

Good to hear about the fact the mini will be so good to fly in Japan with those application requirements.

I'm holding off now until the IOS bugs are flattened by DJI, and to see IF I can purchase the 1100mAh batteries outside Japan.
Should know once this release thing settles a bit :)
I would get the flymore with 3 x 2400mAh batts, and probably 4 or so or the 1100 for travel.

I look forward to hearing / seeing you review when you get the new Mini and get around to testing it.

And good luck with Mt Fuji !!

Oh, those batteries won’t fit in the American version of the Mavic MINI. Furthermore, Americans who travel to Japan will not be able to use their drones because Japan’s legal limit is 200g, NOT 250!

I would be able to bring my drone there but you would not be able to use your drone here.

Ok I’m in Australia. (Edit - we are FCC 5.8 here for the mini)
But the 1100 batts won’t fit and run in the normal ‘rest of world’ Mavic mini ?
Or, is it more you can’t use fcc there, if Japan is ce for example ?
I was hoping in general for travel, and the mini with wrap and strobe can still be kept under general ‘rest of world’ 250g, and if I wanted to fly Japan anytime, I’d have to remove wrap, strobe, as there would either push past 199g.
If the mini as I set one up still can’t be flown in Japan, no worries, rest of world is pretty big.

Last edited:
Ok I’m in Australia. (Edit - we are FCC 5.8 here for the mini)
But the 1100 batts won’t fit and run in the normal ‘rest of world’ Mavic mini ?
Or, is it more you can’t use fcc there, if Japan is ce for example ?
I was hoping in general for travel, and the mini with wrap and strobe can still be kept under general ‘rest of world’ 250g, and if I wanted to fly Japan anytime, I’d have to remove wrap, strobe, as there would either push past 199g.
If the mini as I set one up still can’t be flown in Japan, no worries, rest of world is pretty big.

I was told at the DJI Mavic MINI debut seminar that I attended that the battery size ( physically ) is different. Unfortunately, I cannot disprove this at the moment.
For tourists traveling here, I would not worry especially if you get through customs and immigration.
The worst that would probably happen is they would say stop flying.
I live here. I would get a fine up to ¥500,000. That’s a bad day for me.

Jspan is NOT a police state. It’s a common sense, common courtesy nation. It’s also a nation where if you ask, the answer is probably no.

All I can say with 100% confidence is that over 200g is a drone that should be registered. Hell, we even have liability and damage insurance here. First year is free.

I will ask people about the battery. That point needs further checking.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hey thanks, that'd be great.
Makes a bit of sense it might be an entirely different aircraft design, after all the batteries should be significantly different in size.
Maybe, we'll wait and see I guess.
Well, well, well, look at what I found here on Amazon.co.jp ( Japan ). I think we’ll just have to test that theory we were talking about.

Attachments

• 080486E8-EC83-4797-B8A5-7ED3DE0D8E83.jpeg
    080486E8-EC83-4797-B8A5-7ED3DE0D8E83.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
About US$81, AUD$119.
Wonder how much the 1100mAh batts are ?

It'd be relay odd if DJI made 2 different Mini bodies with the 1100 battery model (I think) only being necessary in Japan.
They'd probably make the 1100 same size as 2400, fill in the voids ?

Seems like a wast of extra casing, but the batteries slide in so unless the made it entirely differently . . .

The 1100 here, 13999 yen ?

It LOOKS the same dimensionally.

Hello everyone. I have stumbled across this post during a search about difference between the global and Japanese models. Just to clarify - bellow 200 grams is not considered as a UAV according to aviation laws. So restrictions specified for UAV flight would not be applicable for the Japanese version of Mavic Mini. Basically, UAV in Japan according to 2015 law can not fly without permission from aviation authorities:
-near no-fly zone of airports(depends on the size of airport)
-above densely populated areas with a population density of over 4000 people per sq. km (Tokyo, Osaka, and any other major Japanese city is a no-fly zone)
You can see those restricted territories on DJI's no-fly map. Outside of that no-fly zones, you can freely fly without getting any permission, registration or licensing, if you follow the next rules:
-do not fly higher than 150 m
-stay above private property more than 30 m
-do not fly beyond VLOS
-fly during daytime
Well, some municipalities will have own extra regulations or even laws(especially in Tokyo) and finding out those regulations and following them is just pain in an ***, because they are just kind of random and a lot of officials just do not know about them either. Believe me, because of my research work I have flown in 5 prefectures and around a dozen different municipalities, while in my main survey area I am trying to keep it as official as possible, in some places it is just too much bureaucracy(tell me you fax number, we will send you a form, fill it and send it back by fax, and we might answer you in 2 weeks) just for 10 minute flight for a photogrammetry purposes.

So does it mean that Mavic Mini is free from all restrictions above? Well, you can not apply law from 2015, but there are also a bunch of other laws which limits all UAVs no matter of weight(for example, you can not fly any kind of drone near or above Imperial Palace, Diet and etc. or parks and gardens in Tokyo) or older aviation model law(yep, Mavic Mini will become aviation model, so it can not fly near airports either). So if there is a specific sign near some attraction, which says "no drone", then you better not fly even with Japanese Mavic Mini, because probably there is specific prefectural law prohibiting it(for example, sand dunes in Tottori prefecture). So basically, Japanese Mavic Mini opens up urban areas for flying, but be aware of the existence of some local laws.

Hello everyone. I have stumbled across this post during a search about difference between the global and Japanese models. Just to clarify - bellow 200 grams is not considered as a UAV according to aviation laws. So restrictions specified for UAV flight would not be applicable for the Japanese version of Mavic Mini. Basically, UAV in Japan according to 2015 law can not fly without permission from aviation authorities:
-near no-fly zone of airports(depends on the size of airport)
-above densely populated areas with a population density of over 4000 people per sq. km (Tokyo, Osaka, and any other major Japanese city is a no-fly zone)
You can see those restricted territories on DJI's no-fly map. Outside of that no-fly zones, you can freely fly without getting any permission, registration or licensing, if you follow the next rules:
-do not fly higher than 150 m
-stay above private property more than 30 m
-do not fly beyond VLOS
-fly during daytime
Well, some municipalities will have own extra regulations or even laws(especially in Tokyo) and finding out those regulations and following them is just pain in an ***, because they are just kind of random and a lot of officials just do not know about them either. Believe me, because of my research work I have flown in 5 prefectures and around a dozen different municipalities, while in my main survey area I am trying to keep it as official as possible, in some places it is just too much bureaucracy(tell me you fax number, we will send you a form, fill it and send it back by fax, and we might answer you in 2 weeks) just for 10 minute flight for a photogrammetry purposes.

So does it mean that Mavic Mini is free from all restrictions above? Well, you can not apply law from 2015, but there are also a bunch of other laws which limits all UAVs no matter of weight(for example, you can not fly any kind of drone near or above Imperial Palace, Diet and etc. or parks and gardens in Tokyo) or older aviation model law(yep, Mavic Mini will become aviation model, so it can not fly near airports either). So if there is a specific sign near some attraction, which says "no drone", then you better not fly even with Japanese Mavic Mini, because probably there is specific prefectural law prohibiting it(for example, sand dunes in Tottori prefecture). So basically, Japanese Mavic Mini opens up urban areas for flying, but be aware of the existence of some local laws.

GREAT POST! I also live here in Japan. Mavic Mini serves one very specific purpose and I will get to that in a sec.

Living in Japan, Japanese old men are the worst. They are grumpy, retired, and very territorial. You see them all the time, but pay no attention to them. You are too busy. They are wearing colored jumpsuits, giving out tickets. They are walking through parks watching everybody to see what they are doing. They are working in parking lots, telling drivers where to park their cars. They are Japanese “Oyaji” and they feel entitled to get in your business.

I’ve lived here for a long time. I know the bureaucracy. I can spot a bureaucrat a mile away. Thus, when I decided I was going to get into drones, I planned to do everything right, by the book. Went to Drone School, passed my course, learned the DIPS MLIT system, and made sure to get “Drone liability Insurance”. I’m waiting for “oyaji” to come up and question me. I’m giving them credentials.

The Mavic Mini plays by different rules here in Japan. On the surface, it would appear that we will be able to fly just about anywhere we want outside normal restricted airports, but there’s a catch. There’s always a “but” to these topics.

Yes, the 199g classifies Mavic Mini as a toy drone. The good news is that you won’t have to worry about that 5,000 USD fine for flying without permission in a densely populated area. You are, until the law changes, flying a toy. You do not need permission from DIPS MLIT. You are free of the bureaucracy.

But, here comes “oyaji”. He’s annoyed by your toy. Now, you are standing there with “no credentials” of your own. You don’t have your approved DIPS application. You haven’t gone to Drone School to get your license. You are flying with no insurance. In fact, you are now just a guy with a flying toy and we both know, “oyaji” has a lot of clout in this situation.

Instead of being accused of flying illegally, you are now what Japanese police refer to as a “public nuisance”. Oyaji was bird watching and you have scared the birds away with your “humming bird”. Furthermore, he feels his privacy has been invaded. Let’s inspect that device and check the SD card. As you can see, we are not out of the woods yet.

The Mavic MINI does one thing specifically that makes it an amazing drone...it’s discreet, it’s low profile. In fact, it’s so small, that very few people will ever realize you are in the air. Unless you want some unwanted attention from “oyaji”. Oyaji doesn’t look up at the Sun anymore. That would be the end of his vision, which is bad already.

What you want is a drone, that barely anybody is going to know is there. Get up in the air, get the photos or videos that you want, bring it down, with no one being the wiser. Mavic Mini does this very well.

I was out flying my Mavic Air earlier today. Even at VLOS sometimes I lose sight of it ( RTH ). You are definitely going to lose sight of your Mavic Mini at some point. If you can’t see it, oyaji definitely can’t see it. Moreover, neither will anybody else who is going about their business.

Your best bet is to go to Drone School, get your license, get your insurance, and learn the bureaucratic system. It’s only a matter of time until some idiot flies a Mavic Mini in an area such as Shibuya. After that, Japanese bureaucrats will recognize that a new drone exists that is under 200g. The next day the classification will change to 150g.

Reactions: MustangShrek
Fortunately, I fly with my "Tokyo University" badge on my hand, so usually, they have nothing to say even about big and noisy Phantom 4 Adv. But, yeah, rougai(老害) is a thing here.

Also, probably not just any drone school, but recommended by MLIT one.
Tokyo University badge! That is genius! Thanks for the new Japanese word by the way! Rougai, hahaha. I love it.

Reactions: MustangShrek

I imagine so.

Indeed, flying time is around 13-15min, but it is something what unusually is enough for local flying.

In big cities are forbidden to fly basically, as like as in most of the park and protected nature zones, which are almost in each corner and not speaking about ban to fly above water :). But even with this thoughts, here are some spectacular view possible to reach in 13min per pcs :).

Reactions: fificap
Indeed, flying time is around 13-15min, but it is something what unusually is enough for local flying.

In big cities are forbidden to fly basically, as like as in most of the park and protected nature zones, which are almost in each corner and not speaking about ban to fly above water :). But even with this thoughts, here are some spectacular view possible to reach in 13min per pcs :).
Just confirmation, I was tested full capacity battery from US inside JP Mavic Mini and works perfectly. After inserting and before launch will pop-up windows with warning about recognition of different country battery with higher capacity, but no blocks to fly.

Reactions: fificap

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert