DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI vs CF Blades - Stiffness Data

RunnerGuy

Reactions
Made a 3-point compression fixture to compare stiffness— DJI vs CF.
Test width = 125 mm
Blade angle at fixture ~ 16 Deg
Bend upward 5mm @ 12.7 mm/min

3-Point Bending Results:
DJI = 2.04 N/mm, CF = 2.12 N/mm

Thickness (Leading Edge / Trailing)
DJI: 1.38mm / 0.30mm
CF: 1.06mm / 0.64mm

B39ABC29-F42C-4ABA-9FFD-7692A24F7910.jpeg
3AA807F7-07B6-4898-B5FD-608F000932BA.jpeg

Reactions: Asgard
I'm surprised the difference is that small. (perhaps a good proportion of the deflection is at the hub fixings)
How do they CF props perform, the trailing edge is rather thick

Reactions: RunnerGuy
I'm surprised the difference is that small. (perhaps a good proportion of the deflection is at the hub fixings)
How do they CF props perform, the trailing edge is rather thick
I posted performance comparisons yesterday. Not significantly different for this blade. Several people indicated a different type of CF blade was available for another drone.

I'm with @Asgard ... I think you are going to see similar results for the two prop's due to the play in the hub hinges. If you were to also support the prop in the centre, and apply the pressure half way along the blade, I think you'd see a lot more difference in how much pressure is needed to deform the CF blade.
I also think that the type of testing you are doing is not so significant (and I'm not saying that it's not valuable!). While it does test how stiff the prop is overall, it's not testing the 'torsional' stiffness. That's the stiffness that you feel if you grabbed the tip of the rotor between thumb and forefinger, and rotated your wrist left & right. It's this movement in what aeronautical engineers refer to as 'the feathering plane of motion' that changes the way the prop acts as it spins through the air. Since the prop has an angle of attack to the air, it produces a pressure underneath that tends to push upward on the trailing edge of the prop'. If the prop has little stiffness, then this pressure can make the [or a good proportion of the] prop blade twist to be parallel to the airflow that it's in. When it does that, it loses lift & thrust. However, it also looses drag (becomes more aerodynamically efficient), and therefore becomes easier for the motor to spin. The overall effect is that a prop with poor torsional stiffness tends to provide thrust more toward the hub as it gains speed, with the outer extremities of the prop blades reducing their contribution as they 'feather' in the high-speed airflow. In other words, it's not as efficient as a prop that holds its shape and angle of attack all the way along it's length, at all rotational speeds. It's for this reason that the [stiffer] CF prop's will keep the Mavic in the hover at lower motor rpm's.
If you want to get really scientific ... https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a403707.pdf [definitely not bed-time reading!!]

Last edited:
Great info @FoxhallGH & @Asgard... I didn’t think to look at torsional stiffness, but do manage a nice room full of MTS’s ;-). I did my graduate work thru NASA Lewis in wind tunnels, and have been evaluating Aerospace & Biomedical implants for almost 25 years. I’m really not a expert in propeller Dynamics, so please excuse my oversimplistic 3 Point ASTM test. I can’t really feel any looseness in the hub, and a uniaxial freebody diagram says it’s roughly equivalent to push the middle down or push the sides up. So this was a quick test to satisfy my curiosity.

Yesterday’s performance showed the CF running about 2-3% higher rpm’s than DJI.

Thanks for your input. This is all very interesting to me. It’s all good, hope to learn more as we continue the discussion... Cheers!

Last edited:
There have been other posts regarding CF v's stock propellers. I'm keen to test this theory that if the motor is turning the CF prop at a lower rpm, it's also working harder. If that's the case, then flight duration will suffer (working harder = pulling more current = shorter battery life).

There have been other posts regarding CF v's stock propellers. I'm keen to test this theory that if the motor is turning the CF prop at a lower rpm, it's also working harder. If that's the case, then flight duration will suffer (working harder = pulling more current = shorter battery life).

We have rain, gusty winds, and cold here. So looks like testing ball is in your court for a few days. Look forward to seeing what you learn ;-)

Mount a tethered force gague on a mavic. Fly straight up sports mode. Next hover, and slap a sudden ascent.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lobodevich