DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hiking Mavic Pro - Battery Bank Charging System - Proven

How about using this holder for 4x 18650 cells, gives you 14.8V power source, $1 for holder, plus whatever number of 18650's you need for your hike. Remember, all those powerbanks are not much more than a bunch of 18650's inside, but of course, for extra $$$.

View attachment 27069

1 Pcs Black Plastic Battery Holder Case w Wire for 4 x 18650 14.8V LW | eBay

Actually these power banks are not 18650 cells. I have opened it. They are flat Li Polimer cells. The cell pack is the full size of the case except for about 1.5 inches on the end of where the connectors are.

And again, 4 x 18650 will yield about a max of say 1 MP battery charge? so you need to bring a lot of 18650 cells, and protect them in you bag so they do not short out and burn up. Again too many small pieces to carry with you.

I still have yet to have someone find a better solution :)

It has to be 1 battery bank, can power on with the cable attached, and have enough wattage to power the oem charger without shutting down. It has to be neat, clean, compact and easy to use, where very little user intervention is required. ie drop one 18650 somewhere on the ground or in the river on your hike, the other 3 are useless because you need 4 for that holder to do anything with them. Has no USB socket to charge other devices you may bring, ie phone, camera, tracking device, two way radios etc. ( I have two way radios that are charged by Micro USB )

Sure not everyone will need all the things I need when I take my computer store in a back back on a hike, but I know that people will like it that they can do more things with it

Last edited:
Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Actually these power banks are not 18650 cells. I have opened it. They are flat Li Polimer cells. The cell pack is the full size of the case except for about 1.5 inches on the end of where the connectors are.

Ok. But what do you think about this idea? You can connect 2 or more of these holders in parallel for more amperage/capacity. Essentially, you then have a miniature car battery. Connect DJI car charger to it - and voila, a poor man's Mavic powerbank.

Ok. But what do you think about this idea? You can connect 2 or more of these holders in parallel for more amperage/capacity. Essentially, you then have a miniature car battery. Connect DJI car charger to it - and voila, a poor man's Mavic powerbank.

again, 4 18650 cells even at 5000 mah = 20000 mah Each of these battery banks we used are 45000 mah. So 2 sets of your things is not quite the same size, so you would need 16 18650 cells and still be 10 000 mah short, AND have a million little things to carry.

I do not know the cost of a 5000 mah 18650 cell, assume 5 dollars each. so 16 of them = 80 dollars
I bought each of the battery banks at about 75 and 85 dollars. So yes, you are right, its less, but sooo many little parts to carry..
Have fun carrying all of that

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
so you need to bring a lot of 18650 cells, and protect them in you bag so they do not short out and burn up. Again too many small pieces to carry with you.

True. But 18650's will be already in fours in their holders (since holders are so cheap and light, you can buy lots of them). Buy the new 5-in-1 charger for $40 with removable battery connectors, use them to plug into these holders, voila - you can charge *several* batteries at once!

4x JBL 18650's at 3000mAh = $10
+ $1 for holder
double it, $22 for 6000mAh at 14.8V - should be enough to give 1 full charge to Mavic battery?

Sounds good. Charge the battery half way, stop, plug in some more cells and finish charging it? I wonder if that counts are two charges on the mavic battery? Let me know. That is if you don't lose a cell or two or some parts that you have to carry around with you to make it work.

You MAY want to try and build a battery bank, spot weld the cells and make it big enough to charge enough batteries to make it worth carrying.

Not to mention, you will need a BMS for that pack, BTW, these battery banks already have that in there, they also have overheat protection, overload protection, they are safe. Actually, CE and FCC certified.

When you charge your home made battery bank and it burns your house down, your insurance company might have some questions. To save a few dollars, a 1 time cost to have a safe tested battery bank over some home made contraption that you will risk messing up your mavic batteries, or charger.

What I did was crazy, and I accepted that if I messed up the charger or battery, It would be all on me.
If I charge the battery banks, and always in a lipo bag, and if they catch on fire, I say hey, its CE and FCC certified. Insurance cant say anything.

Your call.

please post pictures when you are done and how many charges you get out of lower quality 18650's

Charge the battery half way, stop, plug in some more cells and finish charging it?

No. Two holders with 3000mAh cells in parallel gives you 6000mAh at 14.8V, should be enough to fully charge Mavic's 3830mAh at 11.4V. $22 total.

When you charge your home made battery bank and it burns your house down, your insurance company might have some questions. To save a few dollars, a 1 time cost to have a safe tested battery bank over some home made contraption that you will risk messing up your mavic batteries, or charger.

What I did was crazy, and I accepted that if I messed up the charger or battery, It would be all on me.
If I charge the battery banks, and always in a lipo bag, and if they catch on fire, I say hey, its CE and FCC certified. Insurance cant say anything.

Your call.

Oh, I thought the discussion was free spirit, about tinkering and DIY stuff for cheap. I was not talking about professional quality product that would make insurance lawyers happy. I just threw an "how about this?" idea up in the air. I'm not interested in doing this myself.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143