DJI will soon delete all flight logs in the US

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com
Per this update from DJI Support, DJI plans to disable the flight log download feature from DJI Fly in mid October and DJI Pilot on November 7th. While they don't mention other DJI apps, you should probably expect that feature to be disabled in those other apps during that same timeframe.

Messages with similar wording have recently been popping up in apps like DJI Fly.

DJI-Fly-Flight-Log-Notice.jpg

In addition, DJI mentioned they will delete all data stored in the DJI Cloud. If you have important flight logs stored in the DJI Cloud, now is a good time to back them up to a local location (like your computer).

Here are a few options to back up your flight logs:
  1. Manually retrieve your flight logs. Use the download feature in DJI Fly (or your DJI app) to download all flight logs from the DJI Cloud to your mobile device. And then follow these instructions to manually copy the flight logs from your mobile device to a local location (like your computer).

1726709732836.png

2. Automatically retrieve your flight logs. Install Flight Reader (not free) on a Windows computer to automatically download all flight logs from the DJI Cloud using the built-in flight sync feature. Just connect your DJI account and then download all flight logs with a single click.

Reactions: TonyPHX and Starz
By the way, if you're not happy with this, you can blame none other than the likes of Congresswoman Elise Stefanik, and Senator Rick Scott. They are the two leading the "anti-DJI" charge in D.C.

They've accused DJI of gathering hi-res images of the U.S. critical infrastructure via such things as flight log upload. In response, and in order to try and defuse the issue by taking ammo away from Congress, they decided to just no longer allow flight logs to be uploaded.

Here's a user reporting that they don't get FCC albeit them being in US, supposedly because of wrong IP location
Sure, so, there are a few features in play here.

Per the information in the "Additional Information" section here, it looks like DJI apps will not sync flight logs to the DJI Cloud while in the US. That feature must be IP based as they also mention it will only work when connected to the Internet. And then they also mention flight logs recorded in the US will not be uploaded to the DJI Cloud even after leaving the US. So, the choosing of which flight logs to sync must be based on the GPS coordinates stored inside of the flight logs.

I don't know what DJI does for those flights that contain no GPS coordinates. It's not a common flight scenario. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone in this forum (or any other forum) asking for help to review flight logs recorded during indoor flights.

Another Option is Drone Data Management and Flight Analysis | Airdata UAV which can also import your flights directly from dji cloud (for free - disclaimer: you are the product when things are free)
Here are some things to consider if using a free Airdata plan:
  • You'll only be able to retrieve flight logs from the last 100 flights

• While you will be able to see data Airdata generates from your original TXT flight logs files, you will not be able to access/download the original TXT flight log files
You'll need to purchase the $6.99/month plan (or higher plan) in order to access/download your TXT flight log files. Once you manually browse to the page for each flight and download the associated TXT flight log file, you could then cancel your monthly plan if you wish to go back to the free plan.

if you're not happy with this, you can blame none other than the likes of Congresswoman Elise Stefanik, and Senator Rick Scott. They are the two leading the "anti-DJI" charge in D.C.
1726748197021.png

Last edited:
Per the information in the "Additional Information" section here, it looks like DJI apps will not sync flight logs to the DJI Cloud while in the US. That feature must be IP based as they also mention it will only work when connected to the Internet. And then they also mention flight logs recorded in the US will not be uploaded to the DJI Cloud even after leaving the US. So, the choosing of which flight logs to sync must be based on the GPS coordinates stored inside of the flight logs.

I don't know what DJI does for those flights that contain no GPS coordinates. It's not a common flight scenario. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone in this forum (or any other forum) asking for help to review flight logs recorded during indoor flights.
Indoor flights was not the point I was trying to highlight.

I got the same message you are seeing, DJI thinks I'm in US regardless of where the flights took place.
I've never been in US with my Quadcopter - Wikipedia s.

Reactions: PAW
You should reach out to DJI support for help with your FCC issues. That's not the topic we're discussing here.

Can you read and process what I'm writing?

Apparently not, my last answer didn't even touch FCC nor is it a issue for me, yet you insist I contact DJI support for FCC issues?
Ok, I've seen enough. Have a nice day!

• Sad
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
my last answer didn't even touch FCC nor is it a issue for me, yet you insist I contact DJI support for FCC issues?
If your DJI app is not working as expected, then, yes, you should contact DJI support for help.

If you're knowingly doing something with your Internet connection to make it look like you're operating in the US (like using a VPN), then you should stop doing that while using DJI apps if syncing to the DJI Cloud is a must-have feature for you.

And if you're only saying you saw the popup notification above and nothing more, then maybe DJI is showing it for all users. I guess that might be the best plan of attack since they don't know who does / will later travel between countries.

Last edited:
you are not able to process what I've written
I've updated my posts above to include some more detail. Feel free to ask if you need additional clarification.

it's crazy how many threads can get derailed by a simple food fight

has anyone ever considered the possibility that the internet is actually Animal House.....on steroids

Can AirData replaced what DJI was doing? I.e. upload and store my logs? I don't care if I have to spend seven bucks. I want to keep this feature.

Airdata does have their own apps that can sync flight logs between your mobile devices and their web servers. I don't use that feature myself, but it's been available for some time now.

As far as I know, they have no way of downloading all synced flight logs with a single click (like to back them up locally). That might be possible with an Enterprise account since it allows access to the Airdata API. However, the pricing for that tier is listed as "contact us".

So, if you plan to use Airdata to store your flight logs, I think you should be comfortable with being locked into an ongoing monthly subscription for as long as you choose to fly DJI drones.

I don't care if I have to spend seven bucks
The Airdata sync feature can be used with free Airdata accounts too. See the Airdata pricing page to figure out which tier would work best for your needs.

Last edited:
Per this update from DJI Support, DJI plans to disable the flight log download feature from DJI Fly in mid October and DJI Pilot on November 7th.

1. Automatically retrieve your flight logs. Install Flight Reader (not free) on a Windows computer to automatically download all flight logs from the DJI Cloud using the built-in flight sync feature. Just connect your DJI account and then download all flight logs with a single click.
Can I suggest a different title that would, IMO, reflect the situation more accurately. e.g.

DJI will soon delete all flight logs for USA based pilots from DJI servers.​

When I read the current title it implied to me that they were going to delete the logs from USA screen devices and possibly prevent the recording of logs on those devices.

How do it set up Flightreader to do the download and can I then remove the 'permission' to access my dji account ? If I cn do the latter how do I remove the permission ? Thanks.

Last edited:
Is this a big deal? Why are flight logs needed anyway?

Asked another way, after DJI stops recording / uploading / storing these flight logs….. is anyone harmed?

after DJI stops recording
DJI is not going to stop recording flight logs. They just aren't keeping a copy of them on their servers for flights recorded in the US.

Is it a big deal? It does make the process of retrieving flight logs less convenient for many people. However, there are other ways to access them.

Hi All,
Just wondering, … I live and operate in Western Australia, but my email address that I use with my DJI account is a gmail address, which I guess is based in the US.
I use the cloud based feature for my logs to DJI and then AirData automatically syncs them from there.
Considering that the upcoming deletion is for US pilots I’m wondering if I could get caught up in this and have my data deleted too because of my links with gmail.
Normally I would have said no, but last week I got one of those notices that have been sent out via the DJI Fly app.
Any thoughts ?

Hi All,
Just wondering, … I live and operate in Western Australia, ..................
No you won't, your 'location' depends on your IP address or the GPS data, neither of which will be in the USA.
Problems might arise for people who use VPN that show up as in USA but that's me just guessing.

Besides you can always download your flight logs to computer and upload them from there to Airdata.
If your controller needs a phone you might also be able to use the airdata app to upload them straight from the phhone to Airdata.

Is this a big deal? Why are flight logs needed anyway?

Asked another way, after DJI stops recording / uploading / storing these flight logs….. is anyone harmed?
They are an interesting record of your flying, a "Pilots Log Book" if you want to think of it in that respect.
Deoending how 'deep' you want to 'dive' they can also 'monitior' battery performance.
I back mine up to computer etc..

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr