DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji with flir helps avoid mine catastrophe.

Gkirkham7

Reactions
The other day at work I showed up for my night shift, mine was evacuated and shut down. One of our pump trucks loaded with 43,000 lbs of explosives caught on fire. It was sitting on a loaded pattern with 250,000 lbs in the ground. Essentially a small nuke. There’s no way to fight that, a mile blast radius was put into place and they just let it burn. Burned for 18 hours, before sending personnel in to get the truck off the pattern they sent in a Mavic air equipped with infired to check temps and make sure it was safe to go in. It’s pretty crazy when you really think about the technology of these drones. I’m not sure how they would’ve gone about it 20 years ago. Pretty awesome, figured you guys would enjoy hearing some positive about this hobby/industry rather then negative. 9C0CD915-7E89-4716-9F0F-CAF54838E79A.jpeg

It would be interesting to find how they got IR off a Mavic Air.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
It would be interesting to find how they got IR off a Mavic Air.
I’m sure it was just a separate cam that was mounted on the top of it or something. I was just talking to some of the geo tech guys that fly the drones up there. They have a ton of different drones I guess, but he just said it was the air they used for this particular job

250,000lbs sounds like a lot. I would say that truck in the picture would hold no more that 30,000lbs of amonia nitrate so the truck would have already dumped over 8 loads preparing for one shot. No wonder it caught on fire! The poor thing was over worked! LOL

Reactions: Tsimonsma
250,000lbs sounds like a lot. I would say that truck in the picture would hold no more that 30,000lbs of amonia nitrate so the truck would have already dumped over 8 loads preparing for one shot. No wonder it caught on fire! The poor thing was over worked! LOL
It wasn’t the only truck pumping, we run 4 trucks usually. Sometimes 5, depending on the shot and it actually holds 35,000 lbs of ammonium nitrate, 13,000 lbs of emulsion, and I’m not entirely sure how much diesel. All in all you can get off 43-45k of product. They were getting started on the 3rd load each when it caught fire. But over worked is an understatement lol. 2 shots a day, 365 days a year. 1 mile on a haul road is equal to 100 on a highway haha

Reactions: TR Ganey
And a typical production shot for us is 300,000-380,000. Our record day was 660,000 and it made for a real long one

And a typical production shot for us is 300,000-380,000. Our record day was 660,000 and it made for a real long one

That's some heavy duty mining! Would love to see some aerial shots from the pit some time.

For the shots we normally put off in the underground mine back in the day we literally hauled it in a child's little red wagon. Pretty exciting experience the first time you pull the trigger on a shot! Of course there were times when we would be shooting down overcasts or undercasts or other construction type projects underground where we would use a lot more explosives but the average shot for production never contained more than a case. Always had to make sure you washed your hands good before lunch or it was an instant headache.

That's some heavy duty mining! Would love to see some aerial shots from the pit some time.

For the shots we normally put off in the underground mine back in the day we literally hauled it in a child's little red wagon. Pretty exciting experience the first time you pull the trigger on a shot! Of course there were times when we would be shooting down overcasts or undercasts or other construction type projects underground where we would use a lot more explosives but the average shot for production never contained more than a case. Always had to make sure you washed your hands good before lunch or it was an instant headache.
That’s awesome! I’ve always wanted to go underground! But ya they’re some pretty big shots for sure. As soon as they open up the road after winter I’ll see if I can get some aerial shots of the pit!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven