DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJIs crappy business model for CrystalSky

Root the Crystalsky and put any version of DJI GO app on it you want. Well, and, any app you want.

8zgp6f.jpg

Root the Crystalsky and put any version of DJI GO app on it you want. Well, and, any app you want.

Please explain further if you have a moment. I do not understand the “root” part and the screenshot you show is unfamiliar to me. However... being a frustrated CrystalSky user... I am very curious.

Please explain further if you have a moment. I do not understand the “root” part and the screenshot you show is unfamiliar to me. However... being a frustrated CrystalSky user... I am very curious.

Rooting is term that means to gain root access to your device(IE being admin on your home computer). Once you have root you can do anything to it you like. Install what ever apps you like. IE different versions of GO, or just about any app from the google play store you like.

The sky is the limit really.

Reactions: philh24
Ok... so obviously my next question would be twofold... first... do you have a CrystalSky? If so... how does one go about gaining this access to the device?
Thank you for any help you can provide... assuming you have done this already on your device please post a picture of the app running on your CrystalSky with the Mavic 2 as an option.

I dont own a CS, but does anyone find it odd that DJI is so heavily invested in Apple, (or vice versa) and makes an Android powered display?
I understand that there is NO WAY apple would make a specific device for DJI, but it seems odd to me that it doesnt make Apple cranky.

Google may charge a lower license fee or no fee at all for using Android. Apple almost certainly would charge through the nose to make a custom version of iOS for a single customer.

Apple would not even accept to do it, period. Everything they develop that gives them an advantage they keep for themselves exclusively.

I am new to the drone world, been flying for several months and I just received my Mavic 2 Pro last week and love it. I have a company phone (Samsung 8) and it works fine, but i needed it for business. I ordered a CrystalSky 5.5 from Amazon and it will be in tomorrow. I guess i should have joined the Mavic Pilot forum before i ordered it. Sounds like it will not work with my Mavic 2 Pro yet. I don't think will un-box it until I know if i am going to keep it.

I am open to any suggestion anyone has. I may return it unless I can find out if an update will make it work with my drone or a newer version is coming out.

The CrystalSky technically does work with the Mavic 2. If you select Mavic Pro from the interface the DJI 4 Go app will connect to the Mavic 2, however it won’t have all of the Mavic 2 specific features available.

Ok... so obviously my next question would be twofold... first... do you have a CrystalSky? If so... how does one go about gaining this access to the device?
Thank you for any help you can provide... assuming you have done this already on your device please post a picture of the app running on your CrystalSky with the Mavic 2 as an option.

I don't have a Mavic 2.

Yes I have a CrystalSky. The pic I posted is a screen shot of my rooted CS.

Howto: Root a CS with a windows based PC.

TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free

Thank you for the link but I have a feeling this may be too complicated for me... but I would love to learn more... do you have any walk through videos for this process? I used to be better with PC computers... but that was 20 years ago! In this day and age I could get lost after two clicks of the mouse.
Once again thank you for putting this out there. DJI is clearly taking their sweet time but the rest of us want to enjoy what we just spent a small fortune on.

Linux is pretty much flawless at this point. macOS was initially based off unix and but diverged to form their own unique OS. Microsoft just threw something together and it somehow works, barely, but is radically different from Linux. iOS is based off of Mac OSX, but diverged as well while keeping tight integration with the Mac ecosystem. Android was based off of Linux and is very much linux, but adapted for mobile devices. DJI Drones and RC devices run pure linux adapted for the hardware.

So, I understand.

Pretty sure they been building on the old NT kernel.

Pretty sure they been building on the old NT kernel.

Microsoft didn't throw anything together. They bought it. MS-DOS was purchased and then licensed to IBM. All windows versions through win95 were just graphical suites that sat on a DOS shell. NT wasn't used until NT 3.1.
Cantrepeat,
thanks for enlightening, can you put in more informations ?

Everything you need to know is in the document I linked to. Read it a few times and it should all be very clear what you need to do.

That document is what I gather across a few different platforms. I did not discover nor write the scripts used to root the CS. After rooting my CS and installing a custom GO4 app along with customizing it with other apps I figured there would be a lot of people that would want to take advantage of this as well. So, all I did was gather the information and write a bit clearer step by step howto for windows users. All the credit for this belongs the people linked to the resources of the doc.

It list the resources I used to get the information. List the programs with links needed to perform the rooting task. Gives a very basic idea of what a bash command line terminal is and what you need to look for while using it to root.

Android may be based off of linux, and so is macOS, but Windows is whatever Microsoft feels like pulling out of their ***.

Not sure that I agree with you here. Linux is X86 / X64 Architecture. I don't believe that DJI use Intel or AMD Chips. While it may be a derivative of Linux which was an X64 derivative of multiple Unix platforms it would be something quite unique.

Windows predates Linux by many years. OSX is a derivative of the Unix not of Linux. But obviously they all share a common ancestry except for Winduz of Course. :)

All very interesting but meaningless with respect to CrystalSky.

CrystalSky provides a sun viewable display with lots of ports to do stuff. It does not use the Google Play infrastructure so is not compatible with the standard android version of DJI Go 4.

So DJI deliver to the general Android public first. Lots of them. Then to CrystalSky second. Not so many of them.

They are great devices, except for the Ultra-bright that has a tendency to self destruct the backlighting without warning.

Reactions: Cyberpower678

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan