DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJIs crappy business model for CrystalSky

droidekas

Reactions
Beeing an early adopter with the Mavic 2 Pro and DJIs lack of support between it and the CrystalSky at launch has made me think about their business model for the CrystalSky. Why are they always late with implementing support for their new drones on their own product?

As it is now, DJI give away money to other phone and pad manufacturers instead of increase their CrystalSky sales by not priorotizing support for the CS.
I mean, if I was DJI and about to launch a new drone I would give my own accessories a head start against other manufacturers. With the CS I would give it exclusive features only aimed at the prosumer/professional users or at least always give new features to the CS first for a few months before the ordinary Android/IOS app gets them.

This would probably increase their CS sales since we, their customers, are who we are: A bunch of inpatient grown up kids who always want the latest. I know I am...

Yes, and tomorrow I’m opening multiple connections to their technical support lines and bogging then down until one of them caves and actually gets me some info. This is really pathetic.

Reactions: KG in CT and Soft7
I think we will see Crystalsky 2 soon as the current one is a bit lacking even though I do really like mine it could be better.

I am new to the drone world, been flying for several months and I just received my Mavic 2 Pro last week and love it. I have a company phone (Samsung 8) and it works fine, but i needed it for business. I ordered a CrystalSky 5.5 from Amazon and it will be in tomorrow. I guess i should have joined the Mavic Pilot forum before i ordered it. Sounds like it will not work with my Mavic 2 Pro yet. I don't think will un-box it until I know if i am going to keep it.

I am open to any suggestion anyone has. I may return it unless I can find out if an update will make it work with my drone or a newer version is coming out.

I dont own a CS, but does anyone find it odd that DJI is so heavily invested in Apple, (or vice versa) and makes an Android powered display?
I understand that there is NO WAY apple would make a specific device for DJI, but it seems odd to me that it doesnt make Apple cranky.

I own and like my 5.5 CS. I do agree it's not acceptable that CS software is always the last to be updated. I have no way to confirm this but might it not be that the number of CS units out in the field is very small compared to phone based devices.

I own and like my 5.5 CS. I do agree it's not acceptable that CS software is always the last to be updated. I have no way to confirm this but might it not be that the number of CS units out in the field is very small compared to phone based devices.

I totally agree and you can’t blame people who read the forums saying “no thanks whenever you buy a new drone from DJI you have to wait weeks for an update and revert back to your phone”
[emoji15] and you can’t blame them.
Some of the mounts don’t even fit the Mavic 2 anymore.

I was told once by an IT guy that EVERYTHING (ios , Windows, android) is basically some form of linux. Is this not true?

That's a subject I'd enjoy hearing more about as well.

I was told once by an IT guy that EVERYTHING (ios , Windows, android) is basically some form of linux. Is this not true?
Android may be based off of linux, and so is macOS, but Windows is whatever Microsoft feels like pulling out of their ***.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Android may be based off of linux, and so is macOS, but Windows is whatever Microsoft feels like pulling out of their ***.
Interesting..... I have been led to believe that LINUX was used to create the operating system whatever it is, and any problems are due to the coders.

Interesting..... I have been led to believe that LINUX was used to create the operating system whatever it is, and any problems are due to the coders.
Linux is pretty much flawless at this point. macOS was initially based off unix and but diverged to form their own unique OS. Microsoft just threw something together and it somehow works, barely, but is radically different from Linux. iOS is based off of Mac OSX, but diverged as well while keeping tight integration with the Mac ecosystem. Android was based off of Linux and is very much linux, but adapted for mobile devices. DJI Drones and RC devices run pure linux adapted for the hardware.

So, I understand.

Beeing an early adopter with the Mavic 2 Pro and DJIs lack of support between it and the CrystalSky at launch has made me think about their business model for the CrystalSky. Why are they always late with implementing support for their new drones on their own product?
I'm pretty sure they're targeting pros who want a stable and reliable dedicated setup, NOT the early adopters. Aka throw new products and software versions to the general public first, wait a few weeks to get issue feedback and do more internal testing, THEN only if validated then they get pushed to CS.

This kind of people won't touch a new product before it's proven itself aka a couple of months so that firmware issues and part/accessory/battery availability allows to make for a good set of gear you can actually go on a job with anyway, so they couldn't care less that the CS doesn't support them on day one.

I am new to the drone world, been flying for several months and I just received my Mavic 2 Pro last week and love it. I have a company phone (Samsung 8) and it works fine, but i needed it for business. I ordered a CrystalSky 5.5 from Amazon and it will be in tomorrow. I guess i should have joined the Mavic Pilot forum before i ordered it. Sounds like it will not work with my Mavic 2 Pro yet. I don't think will un-box it until I know if i am going to keep it.

I am open to any suggestion anyone has. I may return it unless I can find out if an update will make it work with my drone or a newer version is coming out.
DJI is in the process of updating the Crystalsky firmware and that update will fix the compatability issue. I'm waiting for DJI to retool their adaptor to fit the Mavic 2 controller.

I suggest you return the product and wait for the Mavic 2 remote with builtin Crystalsky monitor - there are already pictures of it in the wild so it will probably be released in the next 3 months. I have a crystalsky ultra bright which is 'ok' as a product but will switch to the built in model when it is released.

I suggest you return the product and wait for the Mavic 2 remote with builtin Crystalsky monitor - there are already pictures of it in the wild so it will probably be released in the next 3 months. I have a crystalsky ultra bright which is 'ok' as a product but will switch to the built in model when it is released.
I've got the Mavic 2 Pro and am waiting for the retool of the DJI adaptor for use with my Crystalsky 5.5 monitor. Their was mention of someone using the ultra 7.75 Crystalsky monitor on their Mavic pro, that's a little bit over kill to me for portability and if DJI is coming out with an attached monitor that probably a good thing in that scenario. To me holding on to what you've got is probably the best solution, upgrades are in the works. I loved the 5.5 Crystalsky monitor with my Mavic pro and will feel the same way with my Mavic 2 Pro.
Welcome to the world of DJI drones and in a way you have become another bata tested like the rest of us.
This is my seventh DJI drone and I've loved them all.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karthikeyan103