DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI's marketing strategy is PURE GENIUS

I ordered a FM Combo on the 28th and like so many others have not seen any shipping info. But....I'm not as upset as some with DJI. By them announcing and taking preorders for the Mavic, I was saved from making the terrible mistake of going with a Karma, a Powervision Poweregg or someother compact drone. After seeing the Mavic, it was a no brainer to forsake considering any others and to patiently wait for what certainly appears to be the gold standard for compact drones.

Reactions: t00lgasm
I understand your rant and I will agree that DJI is not the perfect company and I'll agree that they are out to make a profit. Seems like that's pretty much why we all go to work each day, so we're all guilty of that offense. However, this is how it looks from my perspective.
1-a. I didn't think their competitor's product was better than the existing Phantom 4, so their announcement wasn't needed to convince me to stay with DJI, but it did prevent me from buying a Phantom just before the Mavic was released.
1-b. I ordered on the day of announcement and was given a delivery date of November 2 which according to FedEx, they will beat by two days.
2. My credit card was NOT charged before the items shipped.
3. I really don't think they are holding back any units from shipping, but i don't think there is proof either way. So, maybe it is a conspiracy.
4. Reminds me of trying to get ahold of any high demand product, everything from The Wii, Cabbage Patch Kids, to Pet Rocks. There will always be supply issues on a new product that is superior, cheaper, and in vogue.
5. If anyone hasn't t ordered a Mavic, then I would suggest ordering through DJI, sounds like you will get it quicker, without sales tax, and without your card being charged before shipment.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: AlexSP
I understand your rant and I will agree that DJI is not the perfect company and I'll agree that they are out to make a profit. Seems like that's pretty much why we all go to work each day, so we're all guilty of that offense. However, this is how it looks from my perspective.
1-a. I didn't think their competitor's product was better than the existing Phantom 4, so their announcement wasn't needed to convince me to stay with DJI, but it did prevent me from buying a Phantom just before the Mavic was released.
1-b. I ordered on the day of announcement and was given a delivery date of November 2 which according to FedEx, they will beat by two days.
3. I really don't think they are holding back any units from shipping, but i don't think there is proof either way. So, maybe it is a conspiracy.
4. Reminds me of trying to get ahold of any high demand product, everything from The Wii, Cabbage Patch Kids, to Pet Rocks. There will always be supply issues on a new product that is superior, cheaper, and in vogue.
5. If anyone hasn't t ordered a Mavic, then I would suggest ordering through DJI, sounds like you will get it quicker, without sales tax, and without your card being charged before shipment.

I don't think they're holding them back either. I don't think they had the tooling aand subcontractors lined up and knew that they wouldn't before October 15. Of course it's speculation. But I work in construction and i do know I that if I took my customers money telling them I would complete the work and then never showed up, didn't answer their call but occasionally just to say "yeah I'll get to it", my customers would be pretty pissed. So yeah everyone wants to make a profit, but I don't do it at the expense of my ethics.

Reactions: auen1

Hmmmm-I ordered on 9/28 and my card was charged on 9/30.... of course, still no Mavic

DJI's marketing strategy is pure efing genius. Think about it.
Step 1: Destroy new direct competitor by announcing a new product they know they can't deliver on time, that is superior in every way, will be cheaper and will be available sooner. = PROFIT
Step 2: Charge customers at time of order instead of at ship date. Sit on their money for a month and half or 2 and collect interest/reinvest. = PROFIT
Step 3: Ship a handful out slowly so it looks like they are satisfying they're customers and prevent them from canceling. =PROFIT
Step 4: No new is bad news. Huge demand for a game changing new product. "Trying their best to keep up with demand", news articles, DJI on the tongue of the consumers. = PROFIT
Step 5: Hold back orders to dealers, driving the masses to try and figure out who will ship it first. Guess who has the earliest projected shipping date for new orders right now. DJI official store says ships within month of November. I don't know of any place else that still says that. Guess who gets to keep the cut the dealers normally get. =PROFIT
Step 6: Finally ship to dealers so they're on shelves for everyone else to buy. Dealers will suffer and deal with it cause they still want a piece of the pie. =PROFIT
Step 7: Provide bottom of the barrel customer support. Spend as little as possible on help, warranty repairs and replacements and pay as few employees as possible to deal with such issues. = PROFIT

Dear Google,
Please release a consumer drone and stomp DJI into the efing dirt.
Thank you

You think DJI took peoples tens of millions to make a half months interest? If I were them I would have used peoples money for free financing to buy parts, labour and maybe a factory or two to build the actual product. Now that would be smart. Almost like a kickstarter or Gofund me project.

You think DJI took peoples tens of millions to make a half months interest? If I were them I would have used peoples money for free financing to buy parts, labour and maybe a factory or two to build the actual product. Now that would be smart. Almost like a kickstarter or Gofund me project.
That's what reinvest in the company means. Spend the money on the company so the company can make even more money. I'm sure that's exactly what they're doing. And it's not a half month it's a month and a half.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun