DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DNG images still garbage

rparkins

Reactions
After complaining about the quality of my raw files, DJI sent a new MP2 as it was still under warrenty, but the new one exhibits the same problems with regard to the quality of the DNG images. As example, attached left is DNG and right JPG. Any ideas why the raw file looks so pixilated?

Attachments

• Comparison.PNG
    Comparison.PNG
    3.1 MB · Views: 66
How are you viewing the DNG? Did you process it? Are you looking at a preview image of the DNG or the actual file? Your attachment indicates that your DNG is 960x640 and NOT the actual DNG file.

The attachment is a comparison of the two formats using FastStone Image Viewer.

I had a friend view these in Photoshop and they looked the same. I use Windows 10 Home 64-bit, which version of Raw Therapee should I download?

They sent you a new aircraft because you didn't realize that you were looking at low-resolution thumbnails?
Yes. I tried to work it out via the on line chat, but in then end sent it in to be evaluated under warrenty. They indicated the gimble and camera were replaced, but sent me a new aircraft + the SD card I have left installed. Go figure?

Yes. I tried to work it out via the on line chat, but in then end sent it in to be evaluated under warrenty. They indicated the gimble and camera were replaced, but sent me a new aircraft + the SD card I have left installed. Go figure?

What he is telling you is you aren’t looking at the .DNG. You are looking at the JPEG thumbnail that is included in a .DNG file so that when it’s on your computer in a folder you can look at the little JPEG representation of it instead of opening the file to see it.

In the images you have above it shows the resolution of the two images. The “.DNG” you are showing is 960x640 and the JPEG you are showing is 5472x3648...

Of course the JPEG looks better! It literally has almost 20,000,000 more pixels and 70x greater resolution!

You need to use a different program to open them and then make sure you “export” a copy in your desired format.

.DNGs can’t be “viewed” directly because they don’t have pixels. They are a recipe on how to make a picture and then you need software to make a picture from it.

If you’d like to upload one of your dng files to Dropbox or google drive I can process it for you so you can see what it really looks like

What he is telling you is you aren’t looking at the .DNG. You are looking at the JPEG thumbnail that is included in a .DNG file so that when it’s on your computer in a folder you can look at the little JPEG representation of it instead of opening the file to see it.

In the images you have above it shows the resolution of the two images. The “.DNG” you are showing is 960x640 and the JPEG you are showing is 5472x3648...

Of course the JPEG looks better! It literally has almost 20,000,000 more pixels and 70x greater resolution!

You need to use a different program to open them and then make sure you “export” a copy in your desired format.

.DNGs can’t be “viewed” directly because they don’t have pixels. They are a recipe on how to make a picture and then you need software to make a picture from it.

If you’d like to upload one of your dng files to Dropbox or google drive I can process it for you so you can see what it really looks like
This is very helpful and now I understand. I used RawTheropy as suggested in this tread and was able to view the DNG file instead of the jpeg thumbnail. Thanks to all for this helpful exchange.

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillesdeColombes