DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do any of you listen to music with headphones while you are flying?

I live in Seattle....CHAZ birthplace...and the security concerns demand that I not wear headphones even while walking which deprives me of approaching or potential threats. Sad, isn't it? I do wear earbuds when the german shepherd is with me. Similarly, would wearing headphones in certain environments while piloting a drone make you a little more vulnerable? (notwithstanding removing the audible sensory input necessary (arguably) for safe flight. Is it worth listening to Highway to the Danger Zone while flying the drone?
CHAZ ?

?! Okey dokey - that's a big NO from me too (don't think anyone has actually replied in favour (!) Attention focussed 101% on the 'bird in the sky - never know what's approaching (be it airborne or on land) - even the miffed Karen types. By all means (I) blast out many/different tunes when working on terra-firma (DIY etc), even with dangerous tools, but never when 'up there'.

My playlist would be :-

Theme to 'Taxi':
'Lift Off' - Kanye West & Jay-z:
'Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines':
'Rocketman' - Elton John:
'Major Tom' - David Bowie
'Happy Landing' - Smokey Robinson

That's about a battery's worth.

No need to focus all of your focus guess it’s personal preference I just read so many posts of people losing their drones or something happening I’m a musician myself but when it comes to flying it’s me in the sticks

I have been watching a lot of other people's videos lately and suddenly I had a crazy thought, what would it be like to actually fly while listening to your favorite music? Like when driving a car down an open road? I have not done it because I need total concentration, but I am wondering if you more seasoned pilots get to a point where it's just pure enjoyment like that. Anyone?
Are you a teenager?

• Haha
Reactions: snowghost
Guess I'm the outlier here.
When flying in rural/mountainous areas here in the Puget Sound I often wear AfterShokz Bone Phones. Sound is transmitted via bone conduction and ambient sounds are still present since this type of headphone is not placed in the ear.
I'm far less distracted than when flying in a public area with curious people approaching and asking questions.
And not a teenager here, 64 years old.

Reactions: Skyryder
CHAZ= Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone (aka CHOP - Capitol Hill Occupied Zone). Referring to the 3 block area that was taken over and occupied by protestors here in Seattle for just shy of a month in 2020.
I agree with waltermitty, I would not walk through Seattle with headphones on in broad daylight - too damned dangerous - not from protestors but from the drug addicts and homeless - many of whom suffer from severe mental issues. I work in one of the city's major hospitals and deal with this population on a daily basis.

Reactions: waltermitty
I have been watching a lot of other people's videos lately and suddenly I had a crazy thought, what would it be like to actually fly while listening to your favorite music? Like when driving a car down an open road? I have not done it because I need total concentration, but I am wondering if you more seasoned pilots get to a point where it's just pure enjoyment like that. Anyone?
As a drone pilot you are responsible for limiting and even preventing distractions not including them whilst flying. By listening to music you would be creating an unnecessary distraction and be contravening drone rules - So yes, I agree it is a crazy idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: waltermitty
I just rememberd that my DJI FPV headset has a headphone jack. I've never used it, but it allows you to monitor prop noise at all times.
I would find that very irritating, and the outside noise would certainlyl be lost, but some see it as an additional layer of safety as they hear an issue develop (?).
And there are several articles on Part 107 pilots and crew using wireless headsets to communicate with each other for improved safety. I would think that would also eliminate ambient noise.
So I'm confused - is the worry that you are closing out ambient noise making you unsafe, or is the music so distracting that one will become immersed in the beat/melody and lose concentration on your piloting?
Or both?
Not trying to argue, just curious :).

So I'm confused - is the worry that you are closing out ambient noise making you unsafe, or is the music so distracting that one will become immersed in the beat/melody and lose concentration on your piloting?
Or both?
Not trying to argue, just curious :).
It's neither, for me it's simply irritating having the music on because I'm focused on the drone so the music just interferes with that as I'm not listening to it properly. Some people like to have music on while they work but I don't as I find it distracting, I only have music on when I can pay more attention to it usually when I'm out walking the dog.

Reactions: Torque
When I'm flying on United. I drink wine too. But not when I am using the drone!!

I think the answer is a definitive NO.

As a drone pilot you are responsible for limiting and even preventing distractions not including them whilst flying. By listening to music you would be creating an unnecessary distraction and be contravening drone rules - So yes, I agree it is a crazy idea.
As a 38 year manned aircraft pilot I agree 100% that focus and situational awareness are crucial flight. You are a pilot flying a drone as much as a manned aircraft pilot. Attitude should be the same!

As a 38 year manned aircraft pilot I agree 100% that focus and situational awareness are crucial flight. You are a pilot flying a drone as much as a manned aircraft pilot. Attitude should be the same!
FAA allows manned aircraft pilots to wear headphones and listen to music while flying as long as ambient sounds and communications are not blocked by the music.

Reactions: Skyryder
FAA allows manned aircraft pilots to wear headphones and listen to music while flying as long as ambient sounds and communications are not blocked by the music.
Does not make it right (in my opinion). With almost 1 year of my life off the ground I have never done so. Not condemning anyone who does. I still feel it is a best practices item.

Reactions: Torque
Bad idea on so many levels. I have only so much RAM (cerebral) and all of it must be devoted to my flights and situational awareness.

I've had occasion to hear a hawk or an eagle approaching but not have a visual on it. That wouldn't be possible with headphones on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh