DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do any of you listen to music with headphones while you are flying?

Skyryder

Reactions
I have been watching a lot of other people's videos lately and suddenly I had a crazy thought, what would it be like to actually fly while listening to your favorite music? Like when driving a car down an open road? I have not done it because I need total concentration, but I am wondering if you more seasoned pilots get to a point where it's just pure enjoyment like that. Anyone?

Never tried it, and I don't know if I will.
I fly and share the screen while talking with people sometimes, like with my friends, don't find it distracting.
But one reason I don't listen to music while flying is that I want to hear all the other aircraft in the area, helicopters, low-flying planes (not abundant in my area), and other drones.

And when I listen to my favourite songs I vibe too much that the drone movements would probably be synced to the beat of the song 😂🤣

No way. When I'm flying I need all my senses dedicated just to the flight. Many things could go wrong and the fastest you detect them the fastest you can act to solve them.

NO MUSIC. Eliminate distractions. One of the points made in the Part 107 test is risk assessment and eliminating as much risk as possible. While your eyes are the primary way you keep track of your drone and keep things safe, your ears come into play as well. How many of us might be flying over a lake (i.e. Lake Michigan in Chicago) and suddenly you hear a helo, which you would hear long before you see it. Having music in your ears might cause you to fail to make proper maneuver in time for collision avoidance, or just getting out of the way.

From someone whose hearing is going/gone, you would lose access to a major sense when wearing headphones.
I was out in the garden one night and something like a Boeing 757 went over head VERY, VERY low, much lower than normal. I am not 'far' from a descent slope and this thing was way lower than anything on that descent slope and flying in totally the wrong direction i.e. perpendicular to the descent slope. I was left wondering if it had a problem or was on a go around.
Because of trees I knew NOTHING of it until it was over head, it scared the ____ out of me. I did not have a drone out.

Music listening while flying drone is in general bad idea.
Hearing is 100% omnidirectional and gives cues about other aerial traffic no matter if you're looking to other direction.
And besides aerial traffic you also need to be aware, if emergency services/police are doing anything in area and stop flying to clear airspace for their possible use.

Incidentally even if you had an ear plug/head-phone in only one ear you lose a significant amount of general hearing ability and ALL but the crudest sense of where a sound is coming from.

Last edited:
I live in Seattle....CHAZ birthplace...and the security concerns demand that I not wear headphones even while walking which deprives me of approaching or potential threats. Sad, isn't it? I do wear earbuds when the german shepherd is with me. Similarly, would wearing headphones in certain environments while piloting a drone make you a little more vulnerable? (notwithstanding removing the audible sensory input necessary (arguably) for safe flight. Is it worth listening to Highway to the Danger Zone while flying the drone?

Last edited:
I was so pleased to see all the sensible people replying and expressing safety and situational awareness concerns. I thought there would be one AC/DC headset comment. Seriously as a manned aircraft pilot as well it is not a good idea to distract yourself. Great comments.

Reactions: Faster
I was so pleased to see all the sensible people replying and expressing safety and situational awareness concerns. I thought there would be one AC/DC headset comment. Seriously as a manned aircraft pilot as well it is not a good idea to distract yourself. Great comments.
Well, after a good fligh and everything ran smoothly, there is nothing more comforting than listening:

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a loud session of Angus and the boys apres flying!! Then you can also "Have a drink on me". If you blast them while flying you may be on a "Highway to Hell". Of course you don't want to be "Thunder struck"

• Love
Reactions: Squidinc and Faster
I have been watching a lot of other people's videos lately and suddenly I had a crazy thought, what would it be like to actually fly while listening to your favorite music? Like when driving a car down an open road? I have not done it because I need total concentration, but I am wondering if you more seasoned pilots get to a point where it's just pure enjoyment like that. Anyone?
Can't imagine dividing up brain function between tunes and flying. Flying is one of those things requiring total concentration and focus, otherwise, why bother.
Driving SHOULD be the same actually. LOLOL

If ever there was a post guaranteed to “spark” a response it is this. I am so concentrated on flying my kit that music would ensure a wipe out sometime very soon.

Never tried it, and I don't know if I will.
I fly and share the screen while talking with people sometimes, like with my friends, don't find it distracting.
But one reason I don't listen to music while flying is that I want to hear all the other aircraft in the area, helicopters, low-flying planes (not abundant in my area), and other drones.

I agree 100%. Usually, I hear manned aircraft before I see them.

No as weird propellor noises are the first symptom of an issue and I need my full situational awareness in case things go wrong

+ I get a lot of police helicopters flying over my place as it seems to be on their route for some reason so I need to be aware of that

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54