DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do Bright Skins Make Visibility a Lot Better?

You will still be under 250 grams with this strobe. The mini 2 weighs 230 grams ready to fly with battery and memory card.

Edit: oops, my bad...238. you'll be one gram over

Edit #2: Good to go!

View attachment 123012
Is this to be bought somewhere in Europe? I searched the net and found it in the States but without the attachment I see on your picture. Does the attachment doesn't prevent cooling?

Is this to be bought somewhere in Europe? I searched the net and found it in the States but without the attachment I see on your picture. Does the attachment doesn't prevent cooling?
I'm not sure, you can contact Firehouse and maybe they have a distributor in Europe. The attachment mounts a few mm below the vents, looks like enough gap to allow airflow.

I'm not sure, you can contact Firehouse and maybe they have a distributor in Europe. The attachment mounts a few mm below the vents, looks like enough gap to allow airflow.
Thanks,I will try to find out. Btw the ones I see on the firehouse site have black attachement and made for the drone legs, not the buttom. In the picture here in this topic I see the same color as the Mini (2). Was that custom printed?

I use a flourescent lime green color with prisim reflective tape on the top surfaces. Not to help with me seeing it though. Simply to help make it look like nothing a flying raptor might mistake as food.

Do you use a strobe or fly close to home so you can see it all the time?

I would like to fly over my property to see what is going on and check out animal movements but suspect I would loose sight of the drone, which could turn into a problem while I'm learning. Maybe not a big deal when I get better with the controls and the Fly App. Then I could use the info on the App and the video feed to keep track of where the drone is.
Both, I use a strobe at night and fly it around my neighbourhood and see it all the time.
When I fly it far away I now keep the strobe on in the day and can still see the visible light.

Reactions: Hillbilly1236
I’ve got a yellow skin with reflective tape on the arms. I’m waiting on a Firehouse strobe as well. The reflective tape produces an occasional bright flash in daylight but the yellow skin makes very little difference.
I am over 250grams but I’m registering and obtaining my basic license here in Canada.

ad92093591336a1a54e3b493cbf77505.jpg

a5e2a8fb7c8e57a9bc7c3bd3a6f583b9.jpg

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have read with interest all the comments on visibility. I have an MA2, but following the 2021 flying restrictions I bought a Mini 2. I have 2020 far sight vision but kept losing sight of the Mini2, one look away from the drone to the controller, and Oh No, lost sight of the Mini 2 again. When I used the Air 2 ,I had as the second choice on the controller, the landing light, so if I lost sight of the MA2, I switched on the landing light and could then see it easily. No landing light on my mini 2 so I'm now waiting delivery of a strong strobe having wasted money on two silly tiny flashing strobe lights which were invisible after 30 metres. I think the weight might be a problem but fingers crossed.

i have a fluro hi vis yellow decal girl skin on mine and it makes a huge difference when against a cloudy sky or dark background ,i can see it at 400foot above me against a cloudy sky no issues.
try it with no skin ......no chance .great purchase.

I have a Mini 2. Love it, but the dang thing's color blends in to almost every type of sky and cloud over planet Earth. I made some gear extenders for it, they are bright orange. Even with that small amount of orange on the drone, it was still a visibility boost, definitely for orientation. Subsequently, I have a partial wrap coming in high-vis orange.
However, I agree, once you go so far out and so far up colors become gray. Seems that distance gets shorter every year over 40. :)

Attachments

• GrExt1.gif
    GrExt1.gif
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
. I think the weight might be a problem but fingers crossed.
My Mini 2 flying weight is 239gms. The Lume Cube strobe claims 10gm, but I don't know if that includes the industrial hook and loop fastener that sticks to the drone. If it does, should have a gram to spare. Been thinking about one but they are kinda of pricey relative to the Mini 2, as an accessory that is.

I think I have read most of this topic and having just purchased a Fire Technology from USA a strong strode with a plastic attachment to attach to the underneath of my Mini2. I was really pleased when I fixed it and weighed it, and it was just 250gms, and sometimes it drifted into 249. My joy was short-lived when I realised that the attached strobe was too big which meant on landing and take off, the craft was resting on the strobe !! If I put the leg extensions on it the combined weight will be well over 250 grammes. So having chosen this option because I thought the underneath fixing would be more visible when the craft was in the sky, will it be as visible if I attach by velcro on top of the mini2. Or do I put the extending legs on and hope the new strong strobe doesn't attract the Drone Police. I do have my flyer and operator registration, but I enjoy the benefits of being in the under 250 gramme category. Another option might be landing and take off by hand, but not too sure about that.

My Mini 2 flying weight is 239gms. The Lume Cube strobe claims 10gm, but I don't know if that includes the industrial hook and loop fastener that sticks to the drone. If it does, should have a gram to spare. Been thinking about one but they are kinda of pricey relative to the Mini 2, as an accessory that is.
Mental concentration weighs nothing, costs nothing. That said, you won't instantly gain it or own it by turning to Amazon or hoping for a magic wand. It's acquired step by step. But it's by far the best way, or "tool", to keep your Mini 2 (or any drone) in sight.

This is basic psychology. Yes, I appreciate that many fall for the "monkey do what monkey see" con of psychological avoidance - all those excuses, distractions, displacements, etc - and that it's like Ronseal (you just avoid what you want to avoid). But it's 2021. Anyone like that Snow Patrol song Open Your Eyes?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat