DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I have exceptional ears?

Malcx

Reactions
I've read several times about how quiet the MP is and seen people comment things like "above 100ft no one will notice it's there".

I can clearly hear mine hovering at 400ft AGL, and still hear it when it's at this height but 1000ft away. I generally fly out of town so there isn't much traffic noise, but still wind, wildlife and other ambient background sounds.

Compared to videos on YT my MP doesn't sound any different so I'm wondering if I just have good hearing, because an MP over flying at 100ft would be VERY obvious to me.

(I've also tried with aftermarket platinum/quiet props - these were noticeably quieter but I could still hear up to maybe 700ft away)

Reactions: Bergumbira
I've read several times about how quiet the MP is and seen people comment things like "above 100ft no one will notice it's there".

I can clearly hear mine hovering at 400ft AGL, and still hear it when it's at this height but 1000ft away. I generally fly out of town so there isn't much traffic noise, but still wind, wildlife and other ambient background sounds.

Compared to videos on YT my MP doesn't sound any different so I'm wondering if I just have good hearing, because an MP over flying at 100ft would be VERY obvious to me.

(I've also tried with aftermarket platinum/quiet props - these were noticeably quieter but I could still hear up to maybe 700ft away)
Yes you can hear it up 100 feet, not who would someone make that claim.

I can “pickup” my platinum in somewhere around a 500’ bubble at home. I have lots of trees surrounding me, and I am very hard-of-hearing. When the MP is being praised for its sound, it is because of how quiet it is compared to everything else. 100 feet would have to be in a very loud environment to not be noticed.

Reactions: NoneTheWiser
Thanks for the responses - and keeping my expectations in line! The MP is great and I'm more than happy with it, but some people do seem to over exaggerate it's plus points so it's good to get realistic feedback.

Even the title make me smile your question ask multiple factors answer.

Yes, you probably have exceptional ears.. Like eyes, ours ears can run from exceptional to deaf. Also one MAJOR factor is the wind. Sounds (in the air) are made from waves/vibration of the air. Wind can alterate them, propagate them or slow them. Other factor can be the reverb... Like a metallic barn wall will reverb the waves but a wood one will absorb it...
One more important things is how much ppl around are focusing. You kept the sound of your Drone but you know about it as you are the one who fly it while the ppl around maybe/surely integrate the sound of your Drone in the global surroundings noise. As long your Drone not make a weird unusual or powerful sound, ppl brain will not request them to focus on its origin..

Reactions: Malcx
The noise generated will also depend on how hard your MP is working. With the low-noise props and moving slowly above 250 feet mine is barely noticeable, but moving fast (especially in sport mode) it is very noticeable at 400 feet.

If there isnt a lot of ambient you can hear the mavic from several hundred metres away. If its hovering even 1000ft up its audible.

Obviously its easier to hear if you know what it is and are listening for it but the things certainly aren't quiet.

That said if its downwind or theres background noise its much harder to pick out.

You get quite used to subconsciously recognising the sound of a drone when out hiking and so on even if you cant see it.

My dog Coolie Collie cross ...just loves my Mavic....Best part of a Kilometer away when I think she can't hear.... there she is!

Attachments

• Tess .JPG
    Tess .JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
My hearing is well on the way out. Artillery in my youth and a lifetime working around noisy machinery have taken their toll. Cant hear my MP more than 100m away

In addition, I think the sound is quite directional; when the Mavic is directly overhead, it is much louder than when to the side. Even better, I flew my Spark from a mountain top in Austria this summer, and when flying below you, you couldn't hear it at all when flying about 100m away.

Mavic is easy audible a good 400-500m away assuming a quiet background (and the same hovering 500m above you). You can hear it a long time before you see it.

Most people i know, even those who dont fly drones can say "i can hear a drone" when the thing is 300+m away. They're not quiet. They're obvious to even untrained people assuming ambient noise isnt high.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spitspin