DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need a compass for DJI Fly?

G Randy Brown

Reactions
1st of all I apologize for posting so much but surely they will subside sooner than later :)
It seems I've read somewhere that Fly uses your device's compass so I was trying to install one to my new tablet but I keep getting an error stating I have no magnetic sensors with every one I've tried.
Is it imperative to have a compass installed?
Thanks,
Randy

Nope, the compass is just used for the indicator at the bottom of the screen in DJI Fly that shows you which direction your drone is at. You can fly the drone just fine without that feature.

1st of all I apologize for posting so much but surely they will subside sooner than later :)
It seems I've read somewhere that Fly uses your device's compass so I was trying to install one to my new tablet but I keep getting an error stating I have no magnetic sensors with every one I've tried.
Almost all phones and tablets have a compass.
You cannot install a compass in your tablet.
You are probably thinking of a compass display app - that's unnecessary for flying.

Fly doesn't use the phone's compass except to know which way you are looking to show the orientation display properly.

Hmm, the indicator at the bottom of the screen is something I've been using lately and find it helpful...I was excited to find this tablet as it is within my price range and I was able to install Fly successfully.
So how much do you guys rely on the indicator at the bottom...it seems to me it would be very important in some scenarios.
I plan on having my 1st flight with this tablet in the morning, I guess I'll find out how much I depend on it.
Thanks very much guys!

Hmm, the indicator at the bottom of the screen is something I've been using lately and find it helpful...I was excited to find this tablet as it is within my price range and I was able to install Fly successfully.
So how much do you guys rely on the indicator at the bottom...it seems to me it would be very important in some scenarios.
I plan on having my 1st flight with this tablet in the morning, I guess I'll find out how much I depend on it.
Thanks very much guys!

According to the specs I found, that tablet does indeed lack a compass.

Personally, I almost never use that indicator feature: I've found it to be slightly inaccurate whenever I've compared the display to where I know the drone actually is.

ohhh good to hear...I don't want to send back yet another tablet!
So you guys rely only on your display to determine the direction you're headed?
Thanks again!

Reactions: pelagic_one
ohhh good to hear...I don't want to send back yet another tablet!
So you guys rely only on your display to determine the direction you're headed?
Thanks again!
I tend to fly a location twice, once to do a 'recon' so that I can go back home, check out the lay of the land on my large monitor, then when I go back to the location, I have a good idea of where I want to get my best shots on the second flight. That helps with orientation and knowing which way you're headed. Also, caching the maps in advance is a good idea, so you can refer to that if you are unsure of what appears on your screen whilst in the air. Another thing I do is check out the location in advance with google earth, as it will show you elevations wherever you mouse over. That positional indicator has never worked well for me on iOS or Android. And last but not least, I have strobes on my MA2 front and back, white and red on the back, white on the front, that way I can see which way it is facing if all else fails. That is assuming VLOS. Do my best to keep that.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: maggior
Wifi tablets that work with the DJI fly App don't have GPS or the ability to use the find my drone map!

its easier to use the small map in the app to see which way you are facing in relation to your home point

Reactions: Capt KO and OldGuy
I tend to fly a location twice, once to do a 'recon' so that I can go back home, check out the lay of the land on my large monitor, then when I go back to the location, I have a good idea of where I want to get my best shots on the second flight. That helps with orientation and knowing which way you're headed. Also, caching the maps in advance is a good idea, so you can refer to that if you are unsure of what appears on your screen whilst in the air. Another thing I do is check out the location in advance with google earth, as it will show you elevations wherever you mouse over. That positional indicator has never worked well for me on iOS or Android. And last but not least, I have strobes on my MA2 front and back, white and red on the back, white on the front, that way I can see which way it is facing if all else fails. That is assuming VLOS. Do my best to keep that.

Hope this helps.
Lots of good info there, thank you!

its easier to use the small map in the app to see which way you are facing in relation to your home point
I went out to the Rio Grande river here to get some sunrise shots and used my phone and took note that I do indeed use the orientation thing in the bottom but will try to use all of the suggestions here ...ie using maps etc...it may not be difficult to switch since I'm so new to this.
Thanks again all!

While you're busy looking at the compass you may run into a tree or something worse.
Best to keep your eyes on the drone.

Reactions: Nearlypastit
Thanks,
Randy
Yes, your device must have an internal compass for the indicator at the bottom of DJI Fly to work. You cannot install a compass later as it is hardware not software. My licensed RPA drone "flying instructor" who is also a professional master cinematographer says you should have a working compass as it helps to tell you exactly where the aircraft is, especially the smaller ones as they cant be seen easily even within the distance of a football field. That's why the indicator is there. If shooting video or photos, for good shots you cant be looking at the video and keeping exact visual track of the aircraft at the same time, take your eyes off the craft for 10 seconds and it can be difficult to spot even at quite close range.

Sadly, only the more expensive tablets have built in compasses. Forget buying a cheapie with one, I have spent hours looking and they dont exist. A second hand Ipad mini 4 or 5 is a good bet. Just my personal opinion and experience. I have decided to stick with my android phone for now till I can justify upgrading the screen.

Sadly, only the more expensive tablets have built in compasses. Forget buying a cheapie with one, I have spent hours looking and they dont exist.
FYI .. Every Apple device has a compass sensor and every Android device (except for one strange Samsung tablet) has a compass sensor.

Reactions: Capt KO
FYI .. Every Apple device has a compass sensor and every Android device (except for one strange Samsung tablet) has a compass sensor.
It depends where you live. For example, I very recently went to purchase a galaxy tab 10 after reading it had a compass. Before handing over the money but with the box in my hand I asked the shop assistant to do a final check. We then found out that in Canada, the Android 8 and 10 inch TAB A has a compass, in Australia, Europe and many other countries, exactly the same named devices do not have compasses. You need to check the specific model numbers of the device (as apposed to just the name) against the manufacturers spec before buying. Also, there are many android devices that do not have a compass. Many, Lenovo, Huawei, Samsung, Oppo and cheaper Android devices definitely do not have built in compasses. Check the spec for the model number you are buying before paying (located on the box or the back of the device). Sadly, many manufacturers do not put the full specs on their web sites and you have to do some serious digging to find out.

Here is a good place to start your search, but again remember to check the specific model number for your country rather than just the name.

GSMArena.com - mobile phone reviews, news, specifications and more.... This site mainly deals with US Specs but its a start.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S