Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need a drone pilot license?

• Nah not really

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KelmeliaDronehart

Reactions
I'm having trouble finding info on this, forgive me if I didn't search long enough ;)

I am a full time employee at a large automotive supplier. I am a salaried videographer/editor/photographer and we recently got a drone so I can add a cool perspective to our videos. Mostly exterior shots of our manufacturing plants, and fluff to make the boring topics prettier. Most of our videos are internal-only, only employees can view. Occasionally we will post some videos on the company social media outlets such as Facebook, youtube, instagram, etc...but never broadcast/tv.

I did register the drone through the FAA so that's done but I'm unsure if I actually need to go through all the trouble of the test (and studying, etc.). If I am a full-time, salaried employee, and am not technically making any money off the drone directly, do I really need to do this? I certainly will if I have to but to be honest am totally dreading it.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide! I appreciate it! Oh and I'm flying a DJI Mavic Air fyi.

Kelly

The way I understand it, if the media is going to be used for commercial purposes the pilot needs to be 107 certified. You are being paid to do the work and the company will post on the internet for commercial gain. Having said that, unless you are named in the credits for the video, I don't know how you could get nailed for not being certified. I could see a certified videographer wanting to report you if they could prove you did it and I doubt if the FAA has the resources to go after you without a complaint.

From what I've read, you cannot even make a drone video for someone for free unless you have the Commercial Drone Pilot Certificate. Anything outside a personal hobby for your own pleasure falls under Part 107.

Reactions: KelmeliaDronehart
The way I understand it, if the media is going to be used for commercial purposes the pilot needs to be 107 certified. You are being paid to do the work and the company will post on the internet for commercial gain. Having said that, unless you are named in the credits for the video, I don't know how you could get nailed for not being certified. I could see a certified videographer wanting to report you if they could prove you did it and I doubt if the FAA has the resources to go after you without a complaint.
This is very true but IMO why risk the .001 chance? All you need is one "AH" FAA POI to see your work on line or catch you in the act. Although today's FAA is supposed to be "kinder and gentler" there are still a few of the old guard around who would love nothing more than to ruin someone's life over a drone.

Reactions: KelmeliaDronehart
Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question!! Looks like I'll have to start studying...:eek: I hope it's not as difficult as it seems!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98