DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need the DJI Fly App at all if my controller has the screen? (I have Galaxy S22 Ultra Phone).

DSYDave

Reactions
I just opened the box of my new IDJ3 mini pro3 (and controller with screen) from Best Buy. The 1st thing I did was scan the barcode and attempt to install the DJI Fly App. I couldn't get it to install on my S22 Ultra. I researched further and learned that the app is only compatible with legacy android phones. I live on the farthest edge of an airport zone (but still limited to 100 ft) so I will often need to submit LANCC requests (my understanding is that there is 3rd party LAANC integration with DJI app to unlock the drone?). I don't fully understand what the DJI Fly app is needed for beyond flying the drone. I am tempted to return the drone at this point unless someone can educate me on this (i.e. wonder if I really need this app since my controller with the screen will do the flying). I suspect that there may be more to this app than just flying and that it might be a frustrating experience w/o the DJI Fly app or that I might lose out on some features or that I might not be able to integrate LAANC requests. Thanks for your thoughts on this. It's starting to sound complicated to me and I am thinking I should just return it.

Hello from the Crossroads of America DSYDave.

Don't give up!

The 1st thing I did was scan the barcode and attempt to install the DJI Fly App. I couldn't get it to install on my S22 Ultra. I researched further and learned that the app is only

The current app isn't available in the Play Store. Try again from DJI's site.

You do need the app to fly the mini and unlock the GEO zones that DJI has along with the LAANC approval when needed.

I don't have the controller with the screen and if you do a search here on the site, it may be possible to do it from the controller while using the S22 as a hot spot for connection. 🤔

I fly in Glass G airspace and not familiar about the unlocking / permission process involved.

Other members here may offer more information so hang in there.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

If you have the dji rc with screen it has the fly app pre-installed, you do not even need your phone. I am pretty sure you can do the LANCC in app on controller but never needed so not sure how that part works.

Reactions: michaeldallen1
I have the same phone, drone and controller...

First, you don't need your phone at all to fly the drone. The controller does all that. It is basically a very locked down, basic android device and has a version of the fly app installed on it. It should automatically ask to update to the latest version when you switch it on and connect to a wifi network.

Regarding the S22 Ultra, you should be able to get the latest version of DJI Fly directly from the DJI website (DJI don't use Play store to deliver the app any more). This should run on the phone fine - it certainly works on mine. I've only go it installed to use the built in video editor.

Regarding LANCC I can't advise as I have no experience of using it, being UK based.

Last edited:
I have the same phone, drone and controller...

First, you don't need your phone at all to fly the drone. The controller does all that. It is basically a very locked down, basic android device and has a version of the fly app installed on it. It should automatically ask to update to the latest version when you switch it on and connect to a wifi network.

Regarding the S22 Ultra, you should be able to get the latest version of DJI Fly directly from the DJI website (DJI don't use Play store to deliver the app any more). This should run on the phone fine - it certainly works on mine. I've only go it installed to use the built in video editor.

Regarding LANCC I can't advise as I have no experience of using it, being UK based.
Thanks!

You CANNOT get LAANC through Fly. You need one of the FAA approved apps. Air Control, Aloft etc. You also need internet access to get DJI Geozones unlocked.

You CANNOT get LAANC through Fly. You need one of the FAA approved apps. Air Control, Aloft etc. You also need internet access to get DJI Geozones unlocked.
First of all, Thank You. , So Aloft works on Android for sure, but don't I also have to integrate my approval that I receive in Aloft with DJI somehow so that the drone will unlock? I guess the real question for me is that when Aloft gives me the approval, will that integrate with the controller so that the drone will unlock for me (I am in controlled airspace area so I suspect the drone will remain locked w/o approval) ? Or, do I need the DJI Fly App on my phone to be able to link ALOFT with DJI (i.e. necessary for integration so that I can unlock the drone)? Thanks again!

First of all, Thank You. , So Aloft works on Android for sure, but don't I also have to integrate my approval that I receive in Aloft with DJI somehow so that the drone will unlock? I guess the real question for me is that when Aloft gives me the approval, will that integrate with the controller so that the drone will unlock for me (I am in controlled airspace area so I suspect the drone will remain locked w/o approval) ? Or, do I need the DJI Fly App on my phone to be able to link ALOFT with DJI (i.e. necessary for integration so that I can unlock the drone)? Thanks again!
IME, in 400ft LAANC grids that aren't immediately adjacent to 0 grids, my DJI controller won't even give me a warning that I'm in an authorization zone (maybe this is just a quirk limited to me, but it seems highly problematic). But once you get into grids lower than 400ft, you will need to check a box on the controller that you are authorized to fly (this is not connected to Aloft or any LAANC service, it's just sort of an honor-system-CYA from DJI. There is NO direct connection between DJI and any LAANC providers). This process requires that the controller be connected to the internet, as you have to log into to your DJI account to unlock the geo zone, but it doesn't require that you have the Fly app on your phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSYDave
If LAANC is necessary, just keep your phone handy. That is kept in the Aloft app, not Fly. For DJI Geozone unlock, that needs to be input in Fly. Geozone is NOT FAA. Do that at the DJI Flysafe site. Fly Safe - DJI
Scroll to Unlocking Requests and follow. You will need to log in.

Reactions: DSYDave
IME, in 400ft LAANC grids that aren't immediately adjacent to 0 grids, my DJI controller won't even give me a warning that I'm in an authorization zone (maybe this is just a quirk limited to me, but it seems highly problematic). But once you get into grids lower than 400ft, you will need to check a box on the controller that you are authorized to fly (this is not connected to Aloft or any LAANC service, it's just sort of an honor-system-CYA from DJI. There is NO direct connection between DJI and any LAANC providers). This process requires that the controller be connected to the internet, as you have to log into to your DJI account to unlock the geo zone, but it doesn't require that you have the Fly app on your phone.
Great Info. Thank You

Thank You
OK... to be sure I understand, you say "For DJI Geozone unlock, that needs to be input in Fly.". I am presuming Fly means the DJI Fly app and so this suggests that the DJI Flay app is necessary for Geozone unlock.

However, from what you are saying it sounds like I can also do the unlock from the DJI Flysafe site (i.e. without the DJI Fly app). Thus, if I have my phone handy an can browse to the DJI Flysafe web ssite and log in , etc. , I think you are saying that I can still unlock my drown that way (without needing to have the actual DJI app on my phone). Is that right? Thanks again!!

OK... to be sure I understand, you say "For DJI Geozone unlock, that needs to be input in Fly.". I am presuming Fly means the DJI Fly app and so this suggests that the DJI Flay app is necessary for Geozone unlock.

However, from what you are saying it sounds like I can also do the unlock from the DJI Flysafe site (i.e. without the DJI Fly app). Thus, if I have my phone handy an can browse to the DJI Flysafe web ssite and log in , etc. , I think you are saying that I can still unlock my drown that way (without needing to have the actual DJI app on my phone). Is that right? Thanks again!!
The fly app is necessary to upload the unlock code to the drone. The unlock code comes from the Flysafe website. You can do this through the Fly app. But is easier through your phone's browser, but it even easier on a laptop.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer