DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do i need wifi?

Brandonmlt

Reactions
hi, was looking to buy the mavic mini but i have a question. do i need wifi or any kind of reception to fly the drone?

I've heard that turning your phone WiFi off whilst flying actually extends range - not sure if that's true. If it is, you could go the whole hog and use plane/flight mode whilst flying. I've tried it and I've not had an issue.

Some have reported problems that don't look to be user error. The flights post analysis here, by knowledgeable folks, tend to confirm that it's most likely equipment related. This includes uncommanded descents & maxing out motor thrust (maybe due to flexure in the props etc.). Then quite a few report no problems at all.

No problems here with the Mini. It's a great drone for the money. Quite frankly, most of the issues are pilot error... inexperienced pilots stretching the limits (high winds, crazy heights, not reading the manual, not knowing how RTH works, etc) in the first month they've owned it. You don't need wifi on your phone to fly it but you do need it to download the DJI Fly app and to set up an account at DJI.

Well said!

Reactions: BarbT
No problems here with the Mini. It's a great drone for the money. Quite frankly, most of the issues are pilot error... inexperienced pilots stretching the limits (high winds, crazy heights, not reading the manual, not knowing how RTH works, etc
Until the Mini arrived you could say that about all DJI drones but too many Minis are coming down for non-operator problems.

Just curious about something... I got an alert that my post in this thread was deleted. The reason was "clean up". The post was as quoted by a couple of other commenters above.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Just curious about something... I got an alert that my post in this thread was deleted. The reason was "clean up". The post was as quoted by a couple of other commenters above.
@Bosco Bear . I thought your comment had a lot of truth in it and gave it a thumbs up. It was off topic to the OP's wifi question which had been answered, but was in response to the criticisms of the mini which are also off the wifi topic.
Taking this further off track, I wonder how many of the "Mini Bashers" actual own a mini?

@Bosco Bear . I thought your comment had a lot of truth in it and gave it a thumbs up. It was off topic to the OP's wifi question which had been answered, but was in response to the criticisms of the mini which are also off the wifi topic.
Taking this further off track, I wonder how many of the "Mini Bashers" actual own a mini?
Hope you're prepared for your post to get deleted too and also @Bosco Bear. This is the most tightly moderated Forum I think I've ever been on.

And you're right, the original question had already been answered thoroughly.

My post got deleted too, as will this one. I was not bashing the mini, just trying to urge the OP to do his homework before he lays out his cash.

tightly moderated meaning 'keeping threads on track' is pretty good to me .... i hope these comments get deleted. if you want to dis the mm go start another thread ...

if you want to dis the mm go start another thread .
If anyone did, that thread would get deleted too. When I said 'tightly moderated' I was just trying to be PC

Last edited:
My guess would be it was taken to be mini Pilot bashing. The moderators are sick and tired of this and you should think about that before you post.
I don’t mean that to be my judgment of your posts that’s just my guess on how they perceived it.

Truth be told you have no idea how many of them were pilot error.

If anyone did, that thread would get deleted too. When I said 'tightly moderated' I was just trying to be PC
Not if it was deemed to be factual and constructive ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada