DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I or Don't I?

Badgersurfer

Reactions
I am sure this question has been flogged to death over the years but I am new to Mavic and have an MPP. I am only a hobbyist and photographer and currently use an ipad Mini 4 dedicated to the MPP. I find it very good but also very dim in bright sunlight. Having read loads of posts it seems that the Ultra is the one to go for and as I am hooked I figure I will probably upgrade to the next Mavic Pro i.e. 2 or 3 when it appears. Also I fly R/C aircraft FPV (Fatshark) but as the UK regulations are changing so much I will probably use a monitor more which I figure will be another use for the Crystalsky as my current monitor is also very dim. So the question is Do I or Don't I?
My few reservations are that some posts have said:
1 - that the Crystalsky is a thorn in DJIs side and they will drop the support for it's apps
2 - the DJIGO4 app crashes now and again
3 - the touchscreen is not as responsive as the ipad
4 - a new one will come out in 2020... (I find this hard to believe is item (1) is correct
I thought maybe wait for the new Mavic series and get a Smart Controller but then I have read some bad vibes on them.

As a lot of the posts are quite old can you give me an up to date opinion please, especially as the price of the Ultra hs just dropped £60.00..

I bought the the 5.5 back in February. the only problems that i had was working out the appropriate cables going where? The advantage for me using the CS was that i operate in the tropics with daytime temperatures hitting 40+ degrees C. While the CS does get hot, it doesn't drop out like the i Phones and Samsung. In fact i had my iPhone XS crack a screen whilst doing some field work recently. One disadvantage was the fact that i can't use Drone-deploy on the CS, a real shame as i found the DD program very useful. The other disadvantage is no Bluetooth. I use a rubber tip pen when operating the screen (fat fingers). The view on the screen is great and leaves the phones and tablets for dead in bright sunlight, my opinion, still have to use a hood. Hope this helps.

Regards

Gagey52

Reactions: Badgersurfer
I am sure this question has been flogged to death over the years but I am new to Mavic and have an MPP. I am only a hobbyist and photographer and currently use an ipad Mini 4 dedicated to the MPP. I find it very good but also very dim in bright sunlight. Having read loads of posts it seems that the Ultra is the one to go for and as I am hooked I figure I will probably upgrade to the next Mavic Pro i.e. 2 or 3 when it appears. Also I fly R/C aircraft FPV (Fatshark) but as the UK regulations are changing so much I will probably use a monitor more which I figure will be another use for the Crystalsky as my current monitor is also very dim. So the question is Do I or Don't I?
My few reservations are that some posts have said:
1 - that the Crystalsky is a thorn in DJIs side and they will drop the support for it's apps
2 - the DJIGO4 app crashes now and again
3 - the touchscreen is not as responsive as the ipad
4 - a new one will come out in 2020... (I find this hard to believe is item (1) is correct
I thought maybe wait for the new Mavic series and get a Smart Controller but then I have read some bad vibes on them.

As a lot of the posts are quite old can you give me an up to date opinion please, especially as the price of the Ultra hs just dropped £60.00..
I don't believe that you'll need the Ultra. I have both the 5.5 and 7.85 standard brightness and have no problem seeing either in direct sunlight.

I purchased the CS 7.85 Ultra in May 2019 and really like it a lot. My 68 year old eye site needs all the help I can get. The picture is perfect and I have not had any problems using it. Currently use with the Phantom 4, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Pro and hopefully DJI will issue firmware so that we can use with the Mavic Air 2 that is being delivered next week. I got the Ultra because I did not want to regret not having the extra 1000 nits of brightness over the standard CS. If it is too bright, then you can dial it dimmer. This hobby is expensive but it sure is a lot of fun playing with all the DJI technology.

IMHO the CS is no match for the iPad mini 4 except in terms of screen brightness.
I have the 5.5 CS and an iPad mini 4. The CS with it's outdated hardware and old Android 5.1 OS is slow, unreliable and laggy compared to the smooth and fast iPad.
If visibility in bright daylight is a must, then consider the CS, but the iPad is better in all other aspects.
Oh, and DJI's support for the CS is worse than pathetic, and that's the understatement of the year.
Take my comments as you will.

Reactions: Badgersurfer