DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do NOT buy from DJI Store direct until you read the return policy !

I have gone back to the DJI site, and do not see a warning that there is a 14 day return restriction. However, I see that this forum is predisposed to being complete backers of DJI.
I apologize for my post.

This is not the only post/thread with that orientation.

Seen the same on other forums too.

:p

I think this is not the forum for me. Thank you for allowing me in.

I'm no fan of DJI or any other company,
I've made more mistakes purchasing stuff than I can possibly count.
I just don't blame anyone but me for making the mistake.
If you paid by credit card you may be able to find some relief there.
Depending on where you live there maybe even be some State laws on purchases by internet and returns.
I looked at your profile, you're old enough to know better.

This is why I'm so hesitant to post because you can easily get bashed here.

I don't see anything in the OP's post blaming DJI. What he said was "Don't buy from DJI!". Maybe because you can get a better return policy from others?

Oh and the OP admitted to making a mistake not reading the fine print. Geez.... chill!

Reactions: GaryinAustin
When I ordered my Mavic Pro, I also ordered 2 goggles, thinking it would be fun to see them through the goggles while I was flying and have another for a guest. However, it didn't take long to believe that is not a good idea.

I bought my stuff from the DJI Store. I wrote them asking to return one set, explaining that I had not opened the box. I just got a note saying they will not allow a return after 14 days.

I could have bought from Best Buy or any other vendor and it would have been no problem.

So, my warning to you is to NOT buy from DJI direct !!!!!
Things you need to know
Here are some warranty tid bits from DJI web site If you need to return your product you need to contact them before 5 days of receiving your unit. Then if you need to you must have it shipped back to them within 7 days or your warranty in null and void (WOW) You can request Return & Refund Service:

√ Within seven (7) calendar days of receiving a product if the product has no manufacturing defect, has not been activated and is still in new or like-new condition.
√ Within seven (7) calendar days of receiving a product if the product has a manufacturing defect
or notice 3 rd to last condition wow they give you 7 days Replacement Service will not be provided where:

× Service is requested more than fifteen (15) calendars days after receiving a product.
× Legal proof-of-purchase, receipts, or invoices are not provided, or are reasonably believed to have been forged or tampered with.
× A product sent to DJI for replacement does not include all original accessories, attachments and packaging, or contains items damaged by user error.
× A product is found to have no defects after all appropriate tests are conducted by DJI.
× Any fault or damage of the product is caused by unauthorized use or modification of the product, including exposure to moisture, entry of foreign bodies (water, oil, sand, etc.) or improper installation or operation.
× Product labels, serial numbers, water damage marks, etc. show signs of tampering or alteration.
× Damage is caused by uncontrollable external factors, including fires, floods, high winds, or lightning strikes.
× Received product has not been sent back to DJI seven (7) calendar days after replacement confirmation from DJI.
× Proof of damage during transit issued by the carrier cannot be provided.
× Other circumstances stated in this policy

Amazon has found the"secret" to repeat sales... Great customer service. I buy from Amazon every week because I can rely on them to get the order out quickly, keep me informed of any delay, and be very easy to deal with if there is an issue or I simply change my mind.

I dont get why some ppl are acting so hostile and protective of DJI as a company in this thread. No, they have done absolutely nothing wrong. Obviously they can write their own rules and policies. The way I interpret this, he/she is just warning us to not buy from DJI as they have a bad return policy compared to others, and recommending you to buy form sites with a much better policy. I am not from USA (but from a country where many stores even let us try the product (yes, charge, fly, record movies with a drone e.g.) for 50 days, and then return it for a full refund if we want to (90 days return policy if the product is not opened), so I definitely see a reason for a warning about a 14 days policy, especially when the product has not even been opened... Im sure some people find this informative.

Many vendors have different return policies, and I think it is not always an easy task to fully understand their return policy in all circumstances. At leas I welcome these "warnings" =) I read your intention to be for us to not make the same mistake you did, and for that I thank you.

GeryinAustin: This is my first post so I am also new to this forum. Give it another try, I am sure this forum is full of wonderful people. I think ppl read your post to literally and misunderstood your point. I get your point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jebac
Wow ! I can see that some of you all are good with "let the buyer beware".
The return policies from BB and some other of these huge vendors are an exception, not the norm.
What's wrong is to expect everyone to be able to and to do that.

The way I interpret this, he/she is just warning us to not buy from DJI as they have a bad return policy compared to others
Except that's not the only thing that matters, but for him less good return policy = DON'T BUY THERE EVER which makes no sense at all.

Last edited:
I agree with you, but it is important (service, return policy). If other sites usually/more often have better service/policies for similar price, I understand why he questions why anybody would purchase that particular product at DJI directly. He then writes "I will never buy there again" which is fine, that is his decision. I agree that he might have written a more balanced post, but still I do get his point. He is disappointed, and that colors his post.

Still I see this as a friendly warning to others to not make the same mistake, and I do feel the response he got was just as imbalanced. My two cents =) Happy flying today!

Wow, I had to create an account here just to defend the OP. Why are there so many petty *** holes on here? There's nothing wrong with him advising not to purchase directly from DJI - you're better off purchasing from a major retailer with more infrastructure and better return policies. If that offends you for some reason, then ignore the post - don't bash the poster.

Hey guys. Just throwing my two cents in here as this exact same thing has now happened to me. I think what he was trying to say is to warn people to become educated on their policy before purchasing directly from DJI. As for him not buying again from DJI, I can completely understand and agree as I also will not buy directly from them again. I have purchased 4 quadcopters from DJI direct including three of them this holiday season. Two of the three I purchased were gifts for my two sons. Yesterday (Christmas Day) when my son unwrapped the gift, I learned that he already owned the exact same one. The Spark Fly More package is completely unopened and factory sealed but because it was purchased more than 14 days ago (Black Friday) I am stuck with it. As for the gentlemen not knowing the return policy, I can relate to that as well as it is not obvious at the time of checkout. I can tell you all without any uncertainty that had I known that the item would not be returnable the day after Christmas, I would have never purchased it. Now before anyone bashes me for this, I am simply stating my opinion and my personal reason why I would not purchase directly again.

Here's Best Buy's return policy:
"Best Buy's return policy has a standard return policy of 15 days from the date of purchase, with items eligible for a full refund and exchange with a receipt; without a receipt, the item can be exchanged. For items like cell phones and devices that require activation, the return period is 14 days."

Sounds very similar to DJI, huh?

Here's Best Buy's return policy:
"Best Buy's return policy has a standard return policy of 15 days from the date of purchase, with items eligible for a full refund and exchange with a receipt; without a receipt, the item can be exchanged. For items like cell phones and devices that require activation, the return period is 14 days."

Sounds very similar to DJI, huh?
Yes, it sounds familiar to DJI policy. Unfortunately, you were not thorough enough when reviewing their policy thus proving the point of the poster as well as myself. Had you taken the time to read the policy on the best by website completely, you would have also seen the following:

Extended Holiday Return & Exchange Policy
Buy your gifts and other items this holiday with the peace of mind of easy returns. Almost every purchase made throughout November and December can be returned through January 12, 2019. Purchases made between October 28 and December 28, 2018, have an extended return period through January 12, 2019, excluding cell phones, devices that can be activated and AppleCare monthly plans. All other terms and conditions of our Return & Exchange Promise apply.
My Best Buy® Elite and Elite Plus members have an extended holiday return/exchange window. Elite members have through January 27, 2019 to return or exchange products purchased between October 28 and December 28, 2018, while Elite Plus members can return or exchange purchases made in that timeframe through February 11, 2019. Previously mentioned exclusions apply. See Best Buy Returns for more information.

That can be found here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-t...cy/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014

Yes, it sounds familiar to DJI policy. Unfortunately, you were not thorough enough when reviewing their policy thus proving the point of the poster as well as myself. Had you taken the time to read the policy on the best by website completely, you would have also seen the following:

Extended Holiday Return & Exchange Policy
Buy your gifts and other items this holiday with the peace of mind of easy returns. Almost every purchase made throughout November and December can be returned through January 12, 2019. Purchases made between October 28 and December 28, 2018, have an extended return period through January 12, 2019, excluding cell phones, devices that can be activated and AppleCare monthly plans. All other terms and conditions of our Return & Exchange Promise apply.
My Best Buy® Elite and Elite Plus members have an extended holiday return/exchange window. Elite members have through January 27, 2019 to return or exchange products purchased between October 28 and December 28, 2018, while Elite Plus members can return or exchange purchases made in that timeframe through February 11, 2019. Previously mentioned exclusions apply. See Best Buy Returns for more information.

That can be found here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-t...cy/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014
Oh, pardon me- I didn't realize their year-round return policy was modified for the Holidays. All I know is that their normal return policy is actually inferior to DJI's. I've been burned for a TV, a drone, and several HDMI cables because I didn't try to use them within 14 days. I stand by my original post:

The BB extended holiday exchange policy excludes devices needing activation, which the DJI product does require. However if still unopened, it hasn't been activated so they may honor the policy.

Oh, pardon me- I didn't realize their year-round return policy was modified for the Holidays. All I know is that their normal return policy is actually inferior to DJI's. I've been burned for a TV, a drone, and several HDMI cables because I didn't try to use them within 14 days. I stand by my original post:

I think you are either missing the entire point or perhaps just enjoy the confrontation. In my particular case, the quadcopter was purchased during the Christmas season, given as a gift on Christmas day and attempted to return the day after Christmas. The box is still in its original cellophane seal and I am out of luck. Most companies that sell directly to the consumer have a holiday policy allowing returns for a week or two following the holiday season. Quite a few people ganged up on the person who posted this and I believe it is a very helpful post. I only wish that I had seen the post before my purchase.

Problem is that DJI is not in the US. I might ask if they celebrate Christmas, but I do know they are fully aware of the season, since they market their sales towards it.

Problem is that DJI is not in the US. I might ask if they celebrate Christmas, but I do know they are fully aware of the season, since they market their sales towards it.

I agree that they are not headquartered in the US but they do have a location in Calfornia. Additionally, the US accounts for over 60% of their sales which far surpasses sales in China. I'd say they have a fair understanding of how our retail market works. I mentioned I bought this on Black Friday following an email they sent marketing me that day specifically. This is not unknown to them. Again, they are free to set any policy they want, I think they should make it obvious to the consumer and not camouflage it as they do for their phone number. As for the original post which says he will not buy direct again. I couldn't blame him at all since there are several other companies selling their products with better customer service and policies and at the same price. For all we know, DJI is looking to exit the direct to consumer market and only be a manufacturer.

14 days is a very reasonable time for a return..

Did anyone actually read this post? People commenting are so defensive and outlandish I am wondering if this is manned by a bunch of DJI employees. Unreal! Out of curiosity, what makes you say 14 days is reasonable? Do you have some benchmark of other retailers that indicates this is consistent? Also, let's keep in mind the post says do not buy from DJI Store direct until you have read the return policy. Again, I wish that I had. If I did, I would not be stuck with this thing and would not have purchased it direct. Now that I have read it, I know that I will purchase elsewhere. I plan to get the Osmo pocket and will get that through an Amazon reseller which give me a 30 day virtually unconditional refund policy. By the way, Amazon's policy is similar to best buy:

Amazon.com Holiday Return Policy
Items shipped by Amazon.com between November 1 and December 31 of this year, may be returned until January 31 of the following year for a full refund, subject to our other return guidelines listed below. For more details on policies for items not shipped by Amazon.com, see Seller Returns Policies below.

I agree, even if normal policy is only 14 days, DJI should allow for gift season, especially when pushing sales during black Friday. At least provide exception if not activated and in saleable condition, or at least unopened.

Perhaps you can sell it close to what you paid, particularly if still sealed.

Reactions: Lewiskopp
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25