DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DO NOT REGISTER YOUR DRONE HERE - IT IS NOT THE FAA SITE

I couldn't understand why so many people are getting sucked into these scams until I googled "drone registration".

I had to scroll down on my phone before I got to the real one that costs 5 bucks:

sUAS Registration

Again - If you're flying for recreation in the U.S. you are registering You, not the drone. You put the same number on each of your drones that are 0.55 pounds or larger.
I think that's the same site I was suckered into when I registered my P3S back in January. I also got the stickers and a plastic FAA card with my photo on it so I really took the bait hook, line and sinker. ID tags and the card are professional looking and I hope they help me look official when I get accosted by authorities. Haha... have to justify the expense someway.

I think that's the same site I was suckered into when I registered my P3S back in January. I also got the stickers and a plastic FAA card with my photo on it so I really took the bait hook, line and sinker. ID tags and the card are professional looking and I hope they help me look official when I get accosted by authorities. Haha... have to justify the expense someway.

Just to be clear: the link I posted is the actual faa.gov registration site - not a 3rd party site. I just logged in to my account to be sure.

I was referring to Google making you go through a bunch of scam ads with official looking names before the actual FAA site. No wonder people get fooled.

I almost fell for this as well last week. Got my Mavic in on Thursday, did all the registration Friday. Their site looks nice and official, I thought it was the real deal but then the $25 fee at the end had me stumped, as I knew from past reading it was $5.

So I started googling to see if the fee had gone up recently, and no everything still points to $5. So then I googled some more and found the real site and paid the $5 for 3 year. But I was to the point of putting in my CC info to pay for the bill before anything got fishy. They've done a very good job of making it seem like the legitimate way to register your drone.

The only good thing about this is that at least the $25 isnt a total scam and you're lost... they actually seem to follow through and provide a valid FAA number. It's just they are being the go between in a process that doesnt require any go between :)

It's a clever mix of ingenuity and deception all in one.

Reactions: PropPilot
Yes, its definitely not a scam per se but is totally deceptive. They make $ 20 bucks for handling a B to B transaction for you. I didn't know they offered an ID card with photo ! Have to love capitalism :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki