DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not try this

Adamisprimal

Reactions
So my curiosity got the best of me and I could not find anything online definitive about a mid-flight restart of the mini 1. So I went to a park where there was no risk of any injury or damage to anything whatsoever and proceeded up about 80m then perform the command stick combination moves and watch the drone fall down about 3 seconds worth of dissent I decided to re-engage the motors and to my surprise the drone began to spin up and all seemed okay but there was not enough height for it to compensate for the momentum and what happened was it came to a almost complete stop near the ground but just before the ground wasn't able to stop it bounced off the grass went back up and then proceeded to fly extremely regular and I had to perform another command to stop the craft mid-flight as it was unstable and this did end up in the death of my mini one

Reactions: PalmPilot
You know what Forrest Gump would say.

Can you PLEASE post the flight log/s for both sections of the flight and if you have them the DAT/s. They would be most interesting.
DO NOT SYNC your logs with DJI, you will lose the DATs.

Ditto video from the drone and a screen capture from the phone if you have them.

It is possible that when you restarted the motors the drone needed full throttle, to halt the fall quickly. I have done this with a Phantom 3 and its motors start at idle, I had to give it throttle and came close to it going for a swim, I had hoped the Mavic Mini would be clever enough to realise it was falling and give full speed to the motors.

It would take, I think, about 1.7 second of CSC to stop the motors and during that time is would be moving and descending at the speeds relevant to the flightmode, tripod or cine mode gives the best/slowest-speed. Free fall speed would be quickly reached and is probably about 14 to 16 m/s so a start height of 80m is a bit low with a free fall of 3 second.
There is a test of this in a thread in here ( maybe two years ago ) which had video and telemetry so it was possible to estimate speeds but the pilot DID NOT release the sticks after the motor stop so it was a continuous CSC all the way down. I think they started at 1000ft +

In truth I am somewhat surprised that it DID restart the motors, there is a risk that it may tumble and excessive tilt will STOP a restart, so a restart CSC would have to 'catch it' as it passed through suitable anles of tilt.

I may try this some day but would start around 400ft and start the restart CSC almost as soon as I had seen the drone start to fall and released the sticks

Can you PLEASE post the flight logs they would be most interesting.

Last edited:
So my curiosity got the best of me and I could not find anything online definitive about a mid-flight restart of the mini 1. So I went to a park where there was no risk of any injury or damage to anything whatsoever and proceeded up about 80m then perform the command stick combination moves and watch the drone fall down about 3 seconds worth of dissent I decided to re-engage the motors and to my surprise the drone began to spin up and all seemed okay but there was not enough height for it to compensate for the momentum and what happened was it came to a almost complete stop near the ground but just before the ground wasn't able to stop it bounced off the grass went back up and then proceeded to fly extremely regular and I had to perform another command to stop the craft mid-flight as it was unstable and this did end up in the death of my mini one

"So my curiosity got the best of me ..."

And the Mini.

Reactions: GFields
Can you PLEASE post the flight log/s for both sections of the flight and if you have them the DAT/s. They would be most interesting.

Ditto video from the drone and a screen capture from the phone if you have them.

It is possible that when you restarted the motors the drone needed full throttle, to halt the fall quickly. I have done this with a Phantom 3 and its motors start at idle, I had to give it throttle and came close to it going for a swim, I had hoped the Mavic Mini would be clever enough to realise it was falling and give full speed to the motors.

It would take, I think, about 1.7 second of CSC to stop the motors and during that time is would be moving and descending at the speeds relevant to the flightmode, tripod or cine mode gives the best/slowest-speed. Free fall speed would be quickly reached and is probably about 14 to 16 m/s so a start height of 80m is a bit low with a free fall of 3 second.
There is a test of this in a thread in here ( maybe two years ago ) which had video and telemetry so it was possible to estimate speeds but the pilot DID NOT release the sticks after the motor stop so it was a continuous CSC all the way down. I think they started at 1000ft +

In truth I am somewhat surprised that it DID restart the motors, there is a risk that it may tumble and excessive tilt will STOP a restart, so a restart CSC would have to 'catch it' as it passed through suitable anles of tilt.

I may try this some day but would start around 400ft and start the restart CSC almost as soon as I had seen the drone start to fall and released the sticks

If the controller stores flight log data then I can do but as for the poor mini the poor lil thing is buggered. I suspect it will turn on again if I get a new battery as the battery that was in it suffered a pf event and thus wont power on. Also the drone was flown with I think the litchi app or rainbow cannot recall (was trying to do the vr thing before my (Mod Removed Language) tom foolery)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Yorkshire Pud for a very interesting synopsis

To what end objective is there to shutting down the motors and restarting them, considering risk vs payoff?

Thanks Yorkshire Pud for a very interesting synopsis
You are welcome.
BUT NOTE. To stop the motors of a mavic style drone in mid air you have to change the setting governing the response to the CSC position from THE DEFAULT
setting of "Emergency-only"/ "Breakdown" ...to.... "Always" / "Anytime" or similar words.
With the default setting the CSC will ONLY stop the motors in mid air if the drone itself thinks it has suffered some sort of emergency. In the absence of such an emergency the drone will descend in a helix.

ALSO note, I WOULD NOT recommend setting the response to Always /Anytime for normal flights. The delay period is FAR TOO SHORT, 1.7 ish seconds, and people who have actually changed to that setting have lost their drones because they inadvertently put the sticks in the CSC position for 'long' enough to trigger a motor stop.

So realistically I think is a waste of the option, the delay period is too short to be safe to fly with it as the normal setting and if you fly with the default setting and were trying to prevent an accident e.g. drop a drone out of the way of a plane etc., you have to remember to change the setting and where the setting is found and then apply the CSC position. The first two are unlikely to be quick actions, especially in a panic.
With the Phantom 3 Adv the delay period is longer, 3 or perhaps 5 seconds, and if the position is inadvertently held there is a chance that the pilot will have time to recognise what they are commanding before the motors stop, been there and done that.

To what end objective is there to shutting down the motors and restarting them, considering risk vs payoff?
Experimentation/thrill or perhaps dropping the drone out of the way of an aircraft/helicopter that had surprised you and hoping to save it before it hits the ground.

BUT note I would not say it is guaranteed that you will be able to start the motors because of the tilt thing.
When I was first looking into this, I hand held and wobbled, to significant pitches and rolls, a drone whilst attempting to start the motors with a CSC. From memory it was "hit and miss" on whether or not I could get a restart and I have the impression that in the majority of attempts I did not get a restart.

It is not something to experiment with with a Mavic style drone that you are not prepared to lose.
With a Phantom style drone it is a safer bet because the COG of the drone is well below the the props and the props exert significant drag during a freewill. The combination of COG and prop drag keep the drone more or less level.

Experimentation/thrill or perhaps dropping the drone out of the way of an aircraft/helicopter that had surprised you and hoping to save it before it hits the ground.

BUT note I would not say it is guaranteed that you will be able to start the motors because of the tilt thing.
When I was first looking into this, I hand held and wobbled, to significant pitches and rolls, a drone whilst attempting to start the motors with a CSC. From memory it was "hit and miss" on whether or not I could get a restart and I have the impression that in the majority of attempts I did not get a restart.

It is not something to experiment with with a Mavic style drone that you are not prepared to lose.
With a Phantom style drone it is a safer bet because the COG of the drone is well below the the props and the props exert significant drag during a freewill. The combination of COG and prop drag keep the drone more or less level.
As I’ve done multiple times over the years flying fixed wing aircraft, it’s more effective and timely to move the aircraft laterally to avoid a “surprise” encounter with another aircraft vs shutting the engine(s) off and letting gravity take over as PIC of the aircraft. “See and avoid” is a common mantra VFR pilots (which we drone operators are) are taught and encouraged to use as a basic survival skill. Even while flying drones, Pilot in Command, is just that. Intentionally shutting down the motors and letting gravity take over, just doesn’t pass the common sense logic test, in my mind. And, if the drone motors won’t restart, there is now a gravity controlled device with spinning razor blades headed down and out of control.

@dart106
With respect, in a aircraft en route to a potential collision you probably have a far better view of the three dimensional relationships between the two aircraft than a drone pilot does when they are looking up at their drone and seeing a problem.
Assuming an incoming aircraft is moving across the field of view of the drone pilot how are they to judge, in an instant, that their drone is to the left or right of the aircraft's flight path, so which way should they move, left or right?
Perhaps horizontal movement might be of use it the aircraft was moving along or parallel to the drone pilots line of sight.
A drone pilot's perspective is most likely to favour their judging of relative heights and even that is skewed by distance.

Would the propellor blades of a free falling drone be spinning?
With a Phantom3 yes they are, in reverse I think, but I have held a switched off Mavic mini in the down draught of a Phantom3 and or a Mavic 2 and the propellers of the Mavic Mini did not spin. I might also have tried the same experiment with a hand held Mavic 2 but I don't remember the outcome.
Besides, if the propellors were being driven that would, to me, suggest that they were subject to considerable drag and such drag might help keep the drone within tilt limits thereby permitting a restart.

Personally, I'm always worried that in the course of flight I would accidentally hit that stick combination. Would be good to know if its recoverable. Amazing that someone did it with the much heavier phantom, but it didn't work with the mini.

I guess it is similar to the thought of driving a car at 60mph and throwing it into reverse.

If I recall correctly Michael Lewis wrote that in the first chapter of his book The Big Short.

Actually, more like putting your car in neutral at 70, and then turning off the engine. Only to discover the steering wheel locked and have a holy crap moment before you turn the car back on, then put it back in drive. I too had a "curiosity got the best of me" moment in my teenage years.

Personally, I'm always worried that in the course of flight I would accidentally hit that stick combination. Would be good to know if its recoverable. Amazing that someone did it with the much heavier phantom, but it didn't work with the mini.
With the response to the CSC position set to the default and the drone in normal flight, the CSC position WILL NOT stop the motors whilst the drone is in flight.
As per post 10.

Reactions: Xitor
No they dont....
Then what. I’ve moded for years and tryed everthing testing but
know how doing that normally works out. I don’t have the money
to try that knowing how it most likely will turn out. Seen it tryed to many times. Some times ok most not. 🤷‍♂️

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett