DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do recreational flyers need to take any test?

But recently there are some new rules about a new safety test that should be taken?
A test is not required yet. Per that article, it explains the testing process they are working to implement.

Reactions: dawgpilot
No test required. And when you register it registers you...not your drone. So the one number covers you or all your drones. There are plans to have a test for Rec pilots but typical government in that they have taken at least two years so far to come up with one and it does not appear that a test is a near term event. Plus....when they do come up with it...it is going to be easy. My concern is how they are going to implement the test. Go to a testing center and pay $150 (like the 107 test)...or charge you much more than the $5 to register or some other government-induced method to further ruin the hobby for Rec pilots.

No test required. And when you register it registers you...not your drone. So the one number covers you or all your drones. There are plans to have a test for Rec pilots but typical government in that they have taken at least two years so far to come up with one and it does not appear that a test is a near term event. Plus....when they do come up with it...it is going to be easy. My concern is how they are going to implement the test. Go to a testing center and pay $150 (like the 107 test)...or charge you much more than the $5 to register or some other government-induced method to further ruin the hobby for Rec pilots.
I hope it doesnt become like the part 107 test

For clarification each drone you have over a certain weight must be registered separately with the FAA and each drone receives a unique registration number regardless if it’s for hobby/recreational or commercial. The registration fee is $5.00 per drone. The FAA does provide you with an ID number but that is not the same as individual drone registration.

Reactions: ppporch
For clarification each drone you have over a certain weight must be registered separately with the FAA and each drone receives a unique registration number regardless if it’s for hobby/recreational or commercial
This is not correct. If flying as a hobbyist (like the OP) and the drone weighs between 0.55 lbs and 55 lbs, you can register yourself and label all of your drones with that registration number. See more details here.

Reactions: Ty Pilot and Bobvt
I can only speak for here in the UK. If you are flying anything weighing more than 250g you need to have passed the government theoretical test. It is an on line test and is straight forward. I am 80 and a first time drone flyer and I passed first time with 100% pass mark.
The accreditation then applies to drones, fixed wing and heli models over 250g. All models are required to be labelled with the name of the pilot and the accreditation number. In theory this should be prominently displayed on the outside of the aircraft but I have to admit that my details are fixed on the inside of my Mavic Pro battery compartment..
New rulings are in the pipeline to cover much larger aircraft if they are flown "for profit or reward". I think at the moment the government has got other things on its mind and may not have parliamentary time to enact this legislation.

I can only speak for here in the UK. If you are flying anything weighing more than 250g you need to have passed the government theoretical test
The OP is in the US, so we'll need to stick with the FAA rules.

I just registered myself under recreation flyer and I noticed that on the card it under To fly under the exception for recreational flyers you must: it says "Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test"

There isn't such thing yet right? Or am I missing something? Because right now as it appear on the card, I can't fly until I have done so.

I just registered myself under recreation flyer and I noticed that on the card it under To fly under the exception for recreational flyers you must: it says "Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test"

There isn't such thing yet right? Or am I missing something? Because right now as it appear on the card, I can't fly until I have done so.
Once you get your FAA number, put it on your aircraft and fly under the rec rules. In the future you might be asked to take a test.

Reactions: Ars3nal3432
Once you get your FAA number, put it on your aircraft and fly under the rec rules. In the future you might be asked to take a test.
is that what you suppose or there's some info suggesting that in the future it may require a test?

1590451627178.png

I hope it doesnt become like the part 107 test
Since a 13 year old can register as a recreational pilot, I’m not thinking it will be too difficult.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661