DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do we still need a daylight waiver to fly at night?

jephoto

Reactions
Hi all.

I know the rules about night flights (more than 30 min past sunset) have loosened up.
But I’m unclear on if I still need any kind of Authorization or waiver at this time.

I’m Part 107, Sur rent on the FAA Safety test thing, have an Arc 5 anti/collision strobe.

Can I just do my night flights now without applying for anything?

Reactions: sarahb
The Operations Over People rule became effective on April 21, 2021. Drone pilots operating under Part 107 may fly at night, over people and moving vehicles without a waiver as long as they meet the requirements defined in the rule.

That text comes directly from the FAA website, but there's a lot of room for misunderstanding. There are still very specific requirements for operations over people. Flight over people is not available to Part 107 pilots in general. Here's the FAA's summary of the requirements.

Airspace authorizations are still required for night operations in controlled airspace under 400 feet.

[Continue Reading]
Operations in controlled airspace always require authorization and never allow flight at more than 400' agl.

Per the OP's question, yes it is legal to fly at night in uncontrolled airspace as long as the anti-collision light requirement is met. That applies to both recreational and Part 107 pilots. Here's a Pilot Institute summary.

That text comes directly from the FAA website, but there's a lot of room for misunderstanding. There are still very specific requirements for operations over people. Flight over people is not available to Part 107 pilots in general. Here's the FAA's summary of the requirements.

Operations in controlled airspace always require authorization and never allow flight at more than 400' agl.

Per the OP's question, yes it is legal to fly at night in uncontrolled airspace as long as the anti-collision light requirement is met. That applies to both recreational and Part 107 pilots. Here's a Pilot Institute summary.

Appreciate the info. Thx

Reactions: MS Coast

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stokdgenetics