DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I got questioned by a Real Pilot.

cammyjams

Reactions
I was legally flying in zero grid in Class B last night and a 'real pilot' (sort of) confronted me.

Him: Hey, you realize this is Bravo right? (I was up shooting at this point)
Me: I do, I'm working right now but I can chat in a minute when I land my aircraft
Him: You're not allowed to fly in Bravo
Me: (who was wearing my 107 card clipped to my safety vest) Are you law enforcement?
Him No I'm a real pilot, you're not allowed to fly in Bravo
Me: (still watching my aircraft) My name's ______ what's yours?
Him: Mark
Me: Hi Mark I am a real pilot too and this is my FAA part 107 license (points at vest) I am authorized to 200' AGL this evening at this location, and I've notified Metro in advance of this mission too. They're watching me on the Fusion Watch system right now.
Him: You guys can DO that?
Me: Those of us who follow the rules can, we're allowed to share this airspace up to 400' AGL.
Him: Oh, I didn't know that, huh, way cool, can I see what you're getting?
Me: Sure, here's the shot I'm taking right now. (shows him RC screen)
Him: Holy s**t that's badass! Man I so need to get me one of these things!

I then landed and we talked the usual stock questions for a few minutes. Mark turned out to be a great guy.
I handed him my business card and he went on his way.

Kindness counts.

A great example of how flying legally (and being able to prove it by carrying your license and registration) can make a huge difference when you are approached by others.
Your conversation with him could have easily gone very different had you been breaking the law.
Here in Canada, you MUST be able to produce the following items on demand to fly legally (above 250G category):
1. Your Pilot's license.
2. Your Registration certificate for the Aircraft along with the Registration number on the Aircraft.
3. The Manufacturer's operation manual for the Aircraft (in electronic or printed form).
4. Flight Logs.
5. Completed preflight checklist.
I have never been questioned by enforcement officers, but the odd bystander will ask if I'm licensed to fly and I happily show them my license.

Last edited:
I've been questioned by LE via Fusion Watch (Google that) and it took them all of 3 minutes from launch to detection to approach. They don't need Remote ID, they have something much more comprehensive.
They were on me like white on friggin' rice, walked right up to me in a crowd. (no, I wasn't over that crowd either)
I had all the documents printed which they checked and they then requested that I notify them in advance which I now do. I even sent them all of my SN#'s. I also print that email in case LE on the street didn't get the notification or has questions, which they have as well. "Look pro, act pro, good to go" (one of my mentors taught me that)

Why is it that whenever I read one of these way over-dramatized interaction stories my first reaction is a big eye roll and then followed immediately by an overwhelming need to request "pics or it didn't happen"?

so... 🙄 pics or it didn't happen...

whew! that's a relief...

😄

Fusion Watch (Google that)

Didn't we just have another whole thread about this exact thing just recently?

I thought the end result was a general consensus from "those that know" is that "Fusion" doesn't have any special way to know within seconds that a drone has been launched and immediately respond within a couple of minutes and also to be able to pick the pilot out of a crowd?

Reactions: Aairon
Great interaction! Bravo to Mark for checking and Bravo for you in bringing him up to speed.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
This could be viewed as an example of a“Real Pilot” with a trait normally found in the human population. We all make mistakes on occasion.

Reactions: JTZ
I was legally flying in zero grid in Class B last night and a 'real pilot' (sort of) confronted me.

Me: I do, I'm working right now but I can chat in a minute when I land my aircraft
Me: (who was wearing my 107 card clipped to my safety vest) Are you law enforcement?
Me: Hi Mark I am a real pilot too and this is my FAA part 107 license (points at vest) I am authorized to 200' AGL this evening at this location, and I've notified Metro in advance of this mission too. They're watching me on the Fusion Watch system right now.
Me: Those of us who follow the rules can, we're allowed to share this airspace up to 400' AGL.

I then landed and we talked the usual stock questions for a few minutes. Mark turned out to be a great guy.

Kindness counts.
Finally are good encounter... No Karens present.

Reactions: Torque

Kindness counts.

Kindness counts.
Nice job on dealing with this. You were prepared and had the right responses. I have to admit, I do get agitated when I hear the real pilot thing come up. There are a lot of things we can do that they can’t, but often we don’t get credit. Instead we are wanna be pilots in their eyes. I have a Cessna pilot friend who likes to get under my skin, but then I have another acquaintance, former military and air show pilot who knows what we can do and shows the utmost respect. Keep up the good PR work.

Reactions: SWTSU and Torque

Kindness counts.
Can’t tell you how heartening it is to read a post like this. Well done for responding positively and helpfully. I was going to say that, by definition, you’re a real pilot too. Then, I read on and caught that you’d gently made the point - with an added explanation to Mark. This is how we bring the general public on board. Thanks for being such a a great drone community ambassador.

I remain highly skeptical of the veracity of your claims here, given the process necessary to fly in Zero Grid sections, the AGL you are claiming to be permitted to fly in those locations, and your refusal to even share a general description of the missions you are flying that would cause the FAA to grant such a waiver.

In short, I think you're trolling, and simply making all this up. Easy to help dispel that skepticism, simply tell us, in general, what you're doing near the airport at 400ft AGL that the FAA though important enough to grant the waiver.

So far all you've told us your purpose was was "flying around and having fun". The FAA does not grant waivers in Zero Grid locations to fly around and have fun.

I remain highly skeptical of the veracity of your claims here, given the process necessary to fly in Zero Grid sections, the AGL you are claiming to be permitted to fly in those locations, and your refusal to even share a general description of the missions you are flying that would cause the FAA to grant such a waiver.

In short, I think you're trolling, and simply making all this up. Easy to help dispel that skepticism, simply tell us, in general, what you're doing near the airport at 400ft AGL that the FAA though important enough to grant the waiver.

So far all you've told us your purpose was was "flying around and having fun". The FAA does not grant waivers in Zero Grid locations to fly around and have fun.
Uh, they absolutely do. I regularly fly in a zero grid near my in-laws and my justification is usually “taking photos/videos of downtown.” I’ve never been denied or even gotten follow-up questions for justification. I also got a year-long zero-grid waiver from a local (class d) airport to do FPV practice!

I’m sure there are areas/circumstances where the FAA require a very strong justification, but you can absolutely get zero-grid authorization to basically just fly around.

I’m sure there are areas/circumstances where the FAA require a very strong justification, but you can absolutely get zero-grid authorization to basically just fly around.

He's claiming to be flying at 400ft near the airport in Las Vegas, without having informed the tower (see his other thread). Reason, for fun.

No, the FAA didn't approve that.

And you know this for sure, you personally spoke to the FAA and they told you he didn't have permission to fly there . Very cool

and were does he say he's flying 400 ft He said 200 ft

He's claiming to be flying at 400ft near the airport in Las Vegas, without having informed the tower (see his other thread). Reason, for fun.

No, the FAA didn't approve that.
I don't know what other thread you're referencing, but the OP says 200ft and says nothing about not contacting the tower. And even if he didn't contact the tower, that has no bearing on whether or not he got the authorization from the FAA in the first place. Maybe the OP violated the terms of the authorization by not contacting the tower or flying too high (although again, OP doesn't say this AFAICT), which is a different debate, but the linear nature of time means that happened AFTER the FAA had already approved the mission.

Based on the description in this thread, I see nothing sus about this story at all.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka