DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Operations w/ recent part 107

fromabove

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

I've attempted to look up the answer myself but it is a bit unclear. I recently got my 107 approximately 1 year ago. If I have anti collision lighting, do I need to take the recurrent test to fly my drone at night for recreation or commercial purposes? What about during twilight in the 30 min before or after sunrise and sunset?

Hi Everyone,

I've attempted to look up the answer myself but it is a bit unclear. I recently got my 107 approximately 1 year ago. If I have anti collision lighting, do I need to take the recurrent test to fly my drone at night for recreation or commercial purposes? What about during twilight in the 30 min before or after sunrise and sunset?
If you took the Part 107 exam a year ago, night flying was addressed in the exam. You won't need to take the recurrent exam until 24 months afterwards.

Lights not required between 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset.

107.29(2) addresses lighting requirements for night flight.
"The small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles that has a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision.....".

Hi Everyone,

Anyone taking their initial or recurrent certification from April 2021 forward is qualified for night operations.

There’s nothing wrong with taking the recurrent early though. It’s free, online, and is more of a training with quizzes than the initial exam. It won’t let you fail, referring you back to relevant content until you pass.

If you’re feeling fuzzy on requirements and FAA guidance take the recurrent training!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143