DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you always fly with an ND filter?

always have a ND8 on both my drones

Reactions: THE CYBORG
ND filters are sunglasses for your camera ... you don't need to have them on all the time.

They are used for 2 main purposes ... when it's so bright that your shutter can't be faster so the pic. or vid. becomes over exposed (need a shutter faster than 1/8000sec, sunlit snow or sandy desert conditions). Or if you want to introduce motion blur according to the 180 degree rule when filming or make for instance streaming water smooth when taking stills (the later example require minimum ND1000 in daylight conditions to give you shutter speeds of 1-2sec).

When it comes to motion blur & filming it's usually no need to try keeping within the 180 degree rule above approx 30 meter height, you can't see the blur from that height so the ND can be left off then ... below clip show & explain that in a good way.

Never us Nd filters - don‘t see any point to them. There are few cases where motion blur matter when flying drones. You need to be within a couple of feet of the object showing the motion for it to make any difference.

I mostly fly with a circular polarizer if over water or the sun is out. If the light is at the right angle, color is greatly enhanced. If the light is in the worst case position, the cp does nothing.

The only time I won’t use it at all is when it is getting dark and I need all the light I can get to avoid increasing the ISO.

Reactions: Greenflash
Or do you not use one?
I always fly with at least a polarizer. It helps cut through haze, pops the greens, reduces reflections, enhances clouds and allows the sensory to work at a lower shutter speed making the video less staccato looking. And, it offers protection from the front element. These little sensors cannot take any flecks of dirt or scratches as they become very apparent on the video/photos.

I always fly with at least a polarizer. It helps cut through haze, pops the greens, reduces reflections, enhances clouds and allows the sensory to work at a lower shutter speed making the video less staccato looking. And, it offers protection from the front element. These little sensors cannot take any flecks of dirt or scratches as they become very apparent on the video/photos.

I have been searching for a uv filter in amazon, but didnt find anything

Any opinions on this ?
Polar Pro usually have great stuff, certainly nothing other than that for that variable ND filter ... but be aware that in order to achieve that variable function they stack 2 pol filters, meaning that you will have a hard time using that when taking panoramas as the pol effect will change towards the pic. edges making it impossible to stitch with a good result.

Check this thread out --> What is that on my panorama?

Reactions: pelagic_one
Never us Nd filters - don‘t see any point to them. There are few cases where motion blur matter when flying drones. You need to be within a couple of feet of the object showing the motion for it to make any difference.

I mostly fly with a circular polarizer if over water or the sun is out. If the light is at the right angle, color is greatly enhanced. If the light is in the worst case position, the cp does nothing.

The only time I won’t use it at all is when it is getting dark and I need all the light I can get to avoid increasing the ISO.
Agree generally regarding motion blur but there are a number of cases where a lack of motion blur is more apparent, such as when circling around a point of interest. But no need to do the 180 degree rule; you really just need to avoid the super high shutter speeds like 1/500. An nd16 should be fine for most cases.

Polar Pro usually have great stuff, certainly nothing other than that for that variable ND filter ... but be aware that in order to achieve that variable function they stack 2 pol filters, meaning that you will have a hard time using that when taking panoramas as the pol effect will change towards the pic. edges making it impossible to stitch with a good result.

Check this thread out --> What is that on my panorama?
Thanks, good to know..so I take it these would be a better choice.
I'm in no rush as I'm new to this and my MA2 hasn't even shipped yet but want to start researching now...thanks again!

Which one fo you use for the air 2?

Thanks, good to know..so I take it these would be a better choice.
I'm in no rush as I'm new to this and my MA2 hasn't even shipped yet but want to start researching now...thanks again!
Nope... all those 3 in that kit is ND combined with polarizer (that's why it's PL in the end), same problem when shooting panoramas.

Nope... all those 3 in that kit is ND combined with polarizer (that's why it's PL in the end), same problem when shooting panoramas.
Well maybe a polarizer should be another separate question I'll ask about later.
I don't know if I'll do many panorama shots.
My main interest is slow moving, high res video.
What I've seen mentioned lately regarding the MA2 is there's no aperture control and ND filters are the only way to really tame the iso and shutter speed so I'm thinking I should have a wide variety/selection at hand...maybe something like these would be a good addition to what comes with the combo kit?

An issue with polarizers especially if there's lots of blue sky in the photo is the uneven darkening of the sky as a wide angle lens less than about 35mm can't be totally covered by a polarizer.

Reactions: allenface
Well maybe a polarizer should be another separate question I'll ask about later.
I don't know if I'll do many panorama shots.
My main interest is slow moving, high res video.
What I've seen mentioned lately regarding the MA2 is there's no aperture control and ND filters are the only way to really tame the iso and shutter speed so I'm thinking I should have a wide variety/selection at hand...maybe something like these would be a good addition to what comes with the combo kit?
Yes, those from B&H is plain ND's & will not mess up panoramas if you feel for trying that out ... and they fit nicely in between those coming with the MA2

An issue with polarizers especially if there's lots of blue sky in the photo is the uneven darkening of the sky as a wide angle lens less than about 35mm can't be totally covered by a polarizer.
Can't deny that assertion, though for me, it really hasn't been an issue. Wide angle polarization can be tricky. In network land, we started using pola's for our stand ups to help tamp down the shine. And with African Americans, it really helps in enhancing saturation. That an a little added warmth, like a 1/8th to 1/4 warming filter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet