DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you control with your thumbs on top of the joysticks or pinch each stick with forefinger and thumb?

Reactions: MA2 317
I often fly from a popular hill in my area where other drone pilots strut their stuff. Also a drone training school teaches there. Whenever one of the instructors walks by me and sees me flying with my thumbs they always shout “finger and thumbs....be precise!” I always acknowledge them but keep flying with my thumbs. However I am sure that they are right as often when I am landing my drone it spirals a little as I am not pulling the stick straight down but slightly to one side!! This would not happen if I was using the pinch method as it is definitely more precise!!
Speaking of spiralling. I wish the screen would show you the visual angle of the sticks

With an iPad mounted on top of the controller through a MavMount, it feels impractical to use the pinch method. Am I the only one that feels this way? The thumb method seems to be the way to go especially for finer movements. What are your thoughts?
I agree with several posts here. I fly with thumbs for general maneuvering, but fine control, like writing with a pencil, requires the pinch. So, I guess the answer is, it depends.

With an iPad mounted on top of the controller through a MavMount, it feels impractical to use the pinch method. Am I the only one that feels this way? The thumb method seems to be the way to go especially for finer movements. What are your thoughts?
For me pinch is more controllable, been used to it since flying rc airplanes, it is a matter of practice and adapting it. Give it a try.

My thoughts are the exact opposite of everything you said (especially the finer movements part)...to each his own I reckon ?

After 4 years with the Mavic Pro -most of this time using a MavMount and iPad Mini- I fly only with the pinch technique for fine and precise control. Learning to simultaneously control the gimbal pitch with the left hand third finger and center focus (or other programmed actions) with the fourth finger on the C1 button requires careful practice .

But then I also use the Mavic Pro to launch my Amateur Radio antennas flying through high branches of trees pulling a fishing line attached to a dronefishing payload drop mechanism, when there is a need for an order of precision as critical and subtle as is needed for artistic cinematography .

Thumbs generally, especially when holding the controller, but for some video I like to pinch and for some shots I want the controller on a table while I pinch. But I also fly fixed wing and it's thumbs only in mode 2 with a neck strap.

Reactions: projectarjun
I think what is even more important is how you have your Controller braced , When I fly from my car i lock it in the steering wheel and that braced platform does much better than any method holding the controller by hand or using the strap.

Ideally the Thumbs give you more security on keeping the controller braced when standing where as the pinch gives you less . Both methods are good but the controller being braced is exceptional.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I thought you only flew from the dining room looking out at the deck with rain coming down! ;-)

Well in my case things are a little weird because I have had 4 strokes now and that definitely screws up my hand eye coordination a little bit so I kind of fly with both hands on the sticks while also looking down at my smart controller screen to see The view, it definitely makes things rather weird but I can still fly it okay so that's good

I've become accustomed to direct drive with use of thumbs, no sticks at all. Gives for a smoother control, movement is minimal and precise far superior to the use of sticks. Takes a little getting use to. When setting up, one less thing to worry about

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike