DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you control with your thumbs on top of the joysticks or pinch each stick with forefinger and thumb?

For filming Thumbs usually. This is because I can't pinch and move the gimbal at the same time.
But did all my practical certs using left thumb, right pinch
Whatever works for you I guess

Thumbs baby! Like just a video game. Years of playing first person shooters makes this more comfortable to me. Mode 3 as well!

With an iPad mounted on top of the controller through a MavMount, it feels impractical to use the pinch method. Am I the only one that feels this way? The thumb method seems to be the way to go especially for finer movements. What are your thoughts?
Thumbs for me using pointers for camera tilt and zoom functions

I'm in my mid-70s and have trouble with the joysticks so I use my thumbs. I bought some shorter joysticks and sawed them off to enhance the thumb control (I feel).

Attachments

• 192629477_4221864627875071_1732323406259741507_n.jpg
    192629477_4221864627875071_1732323406259741507_n.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: MA2 317
With an iPad mounted on top of the controller through a MavMount, it feels impractical to use the pinch method. Am I the only one that feels this way? The thumb method seems to be the way to go especially for finer movements. What are your thoughts?
Don't do either, I tend to plan the move I'm going to make and gently lean on the very bottom of the stick. Doesn't work if you're flying all over the joint though!

Thumbs for sure. Probably too late fore me. Been flying R/C for years with them, as a matter of fact I never leave home without them?

Thumb nearly all the time.

Thumbs when flying free, but pinch when flying autonomously and don’t have to worry about navigation. Pinching for yaw control and elevation is much more precise for those smooth panning shots. But when also having to navigate, pinching seems to be outside the options.

Always use the thumbs. I tried to use the pinch method but it didn’t feel right.

I use my thumbs. I tried the pinch method but it just didn’t feel right. ? ??

I was taught the pinch method as it is more precise but I almost always use my thumbs

Reactions: GFields
I've found that using the base of my thumb (under my thumb's knuckle) on the tip of the control sticks gives finer controls than using the tip of my thumbs. My thumbs can be "twitchy". Even the part of the palm that's around the thumb.

I'm thinking of experimenting with putting a piece of rubber at the base of the "ball-part" of the sticks, to create more friction (like those fluid heads in traditional high-grade camera tripods). In a way that i can take it on and off easily, for emergencies.

Reactions: GFields
I snap my fingers, make a mean looking face at the drone and tell it to get over there, now!

Probably one of these days that will actually be possible.
🤣

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242