DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you control with your thumbs on top of the joysticks or pinch each stick with forefinger and thumb?

projectarjun

Reactions
With an iPad mounted on top of the controller through a MavMount, it feels impractical to use the pinch method. Am I the only one that feels this way? The thumb method seems to be the way to go especially for finer movements. What are your thoughts?

Just the opposite for me.

Thumb for general flying, pinch for finer control.

Pretty much exclusively thumb control for me, as that leaves my forefingers free for the front controls of the M2P controller. I do, however, switch over to my forefinger lightly resting on the top of the stick for really fine positional adjustments on occassion.

I think what is even more important is how you have your Controller braced , When I fly from my car i lock it in the steering wheel and that braced platform does much better than any method holding the controller by hand or using the strap.

Ideally the Thumbs give you more security on keeping the controller braced when standing where as the pinch gives you less . Both methods are good but the controller being braced is exceptional.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

On anther thread (I think on fb) one guy says he controls without the sticks. I can't imagine he had fine control.

I prefer the longer sticks.

Definitely go with thumbs for general and pinch for the odd occasion.

I find some of the buttons too far apart unlike the mm1.

I do have my smart controller arriving tomorrow, which feels heavy.

I'm a "thumber." Like @zocalo - I like my fingers free for gimbal and record or pic control. I've tried the pinch method a time or two, but to me, it's like having your shoes on the wrong foot. It works, but just not that comfortable.

Reactions: bentbrent and Dbez1
When I’m recording videos I’ve pretty much abandoned the sticks on the MA2/Mini2 controller model. After a little bit of practice direct thumb pressure and the “roller ball” action are hard to beat for smoothness and precision. The downside of “no sticks” is Thumb Fatigue. When I’m running long distances with shallow course adjustments, or when I’m focused on composing still shots (where smoothness doesn’t matter) I’ll use the thumb sticks.

Reactions: Oakley75
With an iPad mounted on top of the controller through a MavMount, it feels impractical to use the pinch method. Am I the only one that feels this way? The thumb method seems to be the way to go especially for finer movements. What are your thoughts?
Me too

I often fly from a popular hill in my area where other drone pilots strut their stuff. Also a drone training school teaches there. Whenever one of the instructors walks by me and sees me flying with my thumbs they always shout “finger and thumbs....be precise!” I always acknowledge them but keep flying with my thumbs. However I am sure that they are right as often when I am landing my drone it spirals a little as I am not pulling the stick straight down but slightly to one side!! This would not happen if I was using the pinch method as it is definitely more precise!!

Reactions: crazeuk
Thumbs when flying and shooting stills, pinch when shooting video. And pinch when flying FPV.

I use thumbs on top of the control sticks.

Thumbs on top for me

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum