DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you ever connect to your Mavic while it's still folded up in the case?

Kyle76

Reactions
Sometimes I want to just check for an update or battery status without actually flying. Can this safely be done with the Air 2 still in the case, or do I need to take it out, unfold it and remove the gimble cover anytime I power up?

I would at least remove the gimbal cover, to do otherwise woud surely generate 'stuck gimbal' etc. warnings.
I have powered up both a Mavic Mini and a Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom with the arms folded BUT the motors need to be free to twitch otherwise, from memory, warnings are issued.
I assume the Air 2 would behave in a similar manner.

Reactions: dirkclod
Sometimes I want to just check for an update or battery status without actually flying. Can this safely be done with the Air 2 still in the case, or do I need to take it out, unfold it and remove the gimble cover anytime I power up?
It's ok to leave it folded, but you really need to take it out and take the gimbal cover off. Why? Take it out because the drone will create heat even while it is not flying, that's why the fans start up so soon. And , of course, the gimbal tests itself by moving every time you turn the drone on, so it's cover should be taken off. It also may be tested and move if any updates are performed.

Reactions: Yeunglings
You need to remove the Gimble cover and make sure that the motors are not restricted .so the answer to your question is no! Not a good idea

I do it all the time, since I download its files to my tablet on the move while batteries recharge from my backpack powerbank.
I remove gimbal cover, and place the drone on its carry bag camera up. Never had any issues.

Short answer is no! Certainly on an Air 2. If you watch the drone when it is unfolded and ready to fly, when the connection is made from the controller, the rotors and gimbal do a movement initialisation. If that happens with the drone still in its case, folded up, there will be strain placed on those moving parts. I would NEVER do a power up unless the drone was prepped for launch. ???

Take it out aside from possible stalling the gimbal there is massive heat created from the processors.

As far as the gimbal cover, you NEVER want to leave it in place during power up. Quick way to burn out your gimbal's motor. I've never attempted to start any of my drones that way, and wouldn't. All of the delicate calibrations, and checks, happen during initialization. It would stress the motors during their tests also. If you attempt to start it, folded, and stored, like that, it can only lead to a shorter life for your drone, and ultimately, to failure.
On a lighter note, I noticed you're from NC. Me too. Reidsville. Nice to see someone here from my state.

I wouldn’t. For all the reasons already stated by others. In fact, I never turn it on without removing the gimbal cover, unfolding the arms AND spreading the props.

I would never do that, it take 10 sec max to do so. It's a good investment so dont burn it as well as the above reasons ??

As far as the gimbal cover, you NEVER want to leave it in place during power up. Quick way to burn out your gimbal's motor. I've never attempted to start any of my drones that way, and wouldn't. All of the delicate calibrations, and checks, happen during initialization. It would stress the motors during their tests also. If you attempt to start it, folded, and stored, like that, it can only lead to a shorter life for your drone, and ultimately, to failure.
On a lighter note, I noticed you're from NC. Me too. Reidsville. Nice to see someone here from my state.
So true. Being new to the Air 2, I have forgot about the gimbal cover when starting up and if it wasn't for the DJI Fly warning I would be in big trouble. Removing the gimble cover is now the first thing I do before unfolding the prop arms :)

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov