DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you think litchi is needed now?

A view from a Newbie: I bought Litchi recently and have only just started using it, after installing the updates and playing with the DJI waypoint system I will definately be sticking with Litchi
It has more usable features and the ability to plan on PC is a major plus for me

Reactions: ff22 and AMann
Hi Guys.
1. If something goes wrong while using Litchi, does it means you loose your warranty on your mavic too?
2. This update of Go4 is only for mavic 2 ??

Regards
Carel

Reactions: MeGotAir
While it was Waypoints that attracted me to Litchi, it turned out that that the Litchi App was FAR more reliable. In the first 90 days of owning/flying my Mavic Pro I was plagued by DGI Go 4 issues involving constant disconnect. I read and watched everything I could find concerning DGI Go 4 and Android to find solutions. I discovered while flying Litchi Waypoints that I very seldom lost connection. At about 120 days into my flying, I finally abandoned DGI Go 4, flying it rarely- and still having connection issues during the rare occasions of using it. I discovered that DJI Go 4 is a "resource hog" compared to Litchi, and that's why Litchi worked almost flawlessly while DJI Go was a constant source of fear of losing the drone. Now I fly the NLD-patched version of DJI Go almost as often as Litchi and the NLD-patched version of DJI Go 4 has been glitch-free. I can't figure that one out at all...

[QUOTE="As for point 3 I believe someone has posted that once saved you can then add a name to a mission. I haven't tried it myself.[/QUOTE]

This statement is true. I have several routes I try to fly daily and have named each one separately to differentiate between them. Just press and hold and your keyboard pops up.

Reactions: ff22
Hi, I’m slightly confused about the points you mentioned in 1 and 3. In the YouTube video I’ve watched (link below) the guy is setting his flight up and the monitor shows the aircraft is disconnected. I got the impression this meant you could set up “Off line”. He also goes on, further in the video, to name the mission in much the same way as you would in Litchi.
I have a Crystalsky monitor and, as usual, it’s one of the last to get the update. If you do have it, perhaps you could watch the link below and confirm please?
Many thanks, take care. Peter

What wasn’t mentioned clearly in the video is that he connected to the drone started the Waypoints mission and then disconnected.

Litchi is still way ahead it's pretty flight programing is superb. With DJI waypoints set up I can't get proper coverage in Google Earth even with a good wifi.

Reactions: iowahill
And with Litchi, you can pre-fly the mission in glorious 3D using Google Earth, tuning it and adding assurance you're not going to fly into the side of a hill.

Totally agree, but had a collision with a tall pine 65' up at 22 mph last weekend because I hadn't anticipated a 100' cliff that was centered on my flight path. AGL is a major factor to consider when flying in forested and mountainous terrain as I often do.

Fortunately the bird is fine with only a few cracks on my Master Airscrew props. I really do find Litchi a great tool for mapping and surveying and use it several times a week, previewing and tweaking each mission on Google Earth Pro.

mas damage top.jpg mas damage under.jpg

Last edited:
No hay comparación. Con virtual litchi mission y google earth, puedes crear una misión sin tocar la estación y el drone.
Y una vez configurado en virtual licthi mission, pruébalo en google earth, donde verás el vuelo y podrás modificarlo si ves que has golpeado una montaña, construyendo ...
Con el de dji, debes tener la estación y el dron encendidos para poder configurar.
Aparte de lo que han comentado, más comodidad en todo.
Y qué decir de que el wp2 es solo para mavic pro 2, y para aquellos que tienen mavic pro, nada.
Os dejo un breve video de cómo funciona. Pero si buscas una misión virtual de litchi, encontrarás muchas más.

Totally agree, but had a collision with a tall pine 65' up at 22 mph last weekend because I hadn't anticipated a 100' cliff that was centered on my flight path. AGL is a major factor to consider when flying in forested and mountainous terrain as I often do.

Fortunately the bird is fine with only a few cracks on my Master Airscrew props. I really do find Litchi a great tool for mapping and surveying and use it several times a week.

View attachment 61471 View attachment 61472
You know what also isn't obvious on Google Earth pre-flights? Power lines. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes: I now keep a higher AGL and stopped being so "clever".

Reactions: iowahill
Yes you can do that but then the height of all waypoints are restricted to 65 feet. No idea why. When you first add a new point it assumes 165ft but as soon as you select it it drops to 65 and cannot be made any higher (can go lower). As 65ft is often below the tree line it's not much use.

I'm assuming this will be fixed in a future update.

As for point 3 I believe someone has posted that once saved you can then add a name to a mission. I haven't tried it myself.

Yes, you’re correct, I forgot to mention that.

As already mentioned, there are a lot of shortfalls of the new Waypoints 2.0 and it will take time before DJI catches up to Litchi, that is if they even want to!

The option that I’m surprised that DJI left out is the capability to create a mission by flying it first, as it was there before. With the new save mission option, at least you can go back and fly that mission repeatedly knowing that it’s going to be accurate. Of course there is the missing piece that you can only access that mission from the device you created/saved the mission!

No hay comparación. Con virtual litchi mission y google earth, puedes crear una misión sin tocar la estación y el drone.
Y una vez configurado en virtual licthi mission, pruébalo en google earth, donde verás el vuelo y podrás modificarlo si ves que has golpeado una montaña, construyendo ...
Con el de dji, debes tener la estación y el dron encendidos para poder configurar.
Aparte de lo que han comentado, más comodidad en todo.
Y qué decir de que el wp2 es solo para mavic pro 2, y para aquellos que tienen mavic pro, nada.
Os dejo un breve video de cómo funciona. Pero si buscas una misión virtual de litchi, encontrarás muchas más.

Like he says "No hay comparación". Mas fina!

As it stands, Litchi has several advantages:
1) DJI Waypoints 2 requires the drone to be connected and powered on in order to plan a flight. A Litchi mission on the other hand can be setup even when not connected to the controller or aircraft. In Fact you can plan a Litchi flight on your home PC/Mac on a big screen before leaving home using mission hub.

All of your points are dead-on accurate, but #1 alone is enough to maintain the relevance and superiority of Litchi. There really is no substitute for flight planning, completely disconnected, on either a PC/Mac or tablet. Many times I'll sit in my living room and plan several flights on my laptop for the next day. Doing that with Waypoints 2.0 would be far more cumbersome, noisy, battery hogging, annoying, etc. For now, Litchi still reigns supreme in Waypoint flights. Now, if they would just get the bug fixed that causes jerkiness in the gimbal with Mavic 2 transitioning between waypoints, it would continue to be an all-around excellent app as it is with Mavic Pro.

Reactions: ryanmanchester
You can also set your waypoint and POI points elevations based on height above the ground, instead of just height above home point. A must for those that live in the mountains.
YES....I scrolled until I saw that someone mentioned this point. Until DJI GO 4 lets you plan missions without turning on aircraft AND offers setting waypoint altitudes AGL, there is no threat to Litchi.

Another thing that Litchi will allow is for you tho be able to 'move' your mission from one target to another. Say you are flying missions where you are flying 360 degree films of houses. You can take a mission of one house and move it to another house. If a few of the parameters need to change, you can change those without having to recreate an entirely new mission.

Are any of you on the TestFlight list? I just got a notice that a new beta version was out and I wonder if they tweaked the gimbal issue you have? Just a thought.

I'm not gonna get into a debate, it should be obvious reading previous posts that Litchi has far more "advanced" and stable capabilities because it has been around for a while. I believe Litch is $23 now in the Apple App Store. I've probably had it since ver 1.0 and paid half that. I think the BETTER question is... We've all spent countless dollars on add-ons, gadgets, brackets, cases, etc., not to mention the cost of the drones, why not spend the $23 and see what it can do? You might learn a lot and expand your own capabilities. There's my 2¢ On the other hand, if you're just puttering around taking selfies and random vacation pics, or (shudder) seeing how far or high you can fly, you'd don't need waypoints anyway.

Reactions: BD0G and iowahill
For your info, I managed to figure out how you can create a mission while flying.

(1) Put your bird in the air;
(2) Open the Waypoints flight mode;
(3) Fly your bird to the first waypoint;
(4) Press the C1 button on your remote controller. This will insert your first waypoint.
(5) Fly your bird to the next waypoint and press C1 again. This will insert the next waypoint.
(6) Repeat step five until you complete your mission.
(7) Save your mission;
(8) Now you can go back to edit the mission and adjust the parameters that you want.

Reactions: BD0G and ff22
For your info, I managed to figure out how you can create a mission while flying.

(1) Put your bird in the air;
(2) Open the Waypoints flight mode;
(3) Fly your bird to the first waypoint;
(4) Press the C1 button on your remote controller. This will insert your first waypoint.
(5) Fly your bird to the next waypoint and press C1 again. This will insert the next waypoint.
(6) Repeat step five until you complete your mission.
(7) Save your mission;
(8) Now you can go back to edit the mission and adjust the parameters that you want.

and about the time you're done doing that it's time to RTH and change batteries? ;)

Reactions: stldan
I'm not gonna get into a debate,

Travis: I enjoyed your post very much and I hope it makes me get off my behind and try the darn waypoint business. Probably "fear of the unknown" (coupled with expensive toy,) keeps most of us older and not so adventurous types away from Litchi. But I'm gonna make myself duit soon so thanks for the kick. <grin>

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes