DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you think you will still be flying these things in 12 months?

I can see a time where all pilots may have to be licensed. I am 107 so I don't care that much. As time goes on this too will become a political issue and I am sure all drones will be spy network related or some other distraction. I am certainly not against keeping people accountable and as with all things there is your right but also rights of others. We just need to use some common sense and courtesy when flying. keep a low profile and you'll be fine.

Most of you won't be flying your drones in 12 months. You'll will crash them and they will just end up in your closet broken with the 900,000 other drones sold this year. They will end up like a pair of inline skates. 100% of you think you'll start a business and earn a living, facts are only 50% of you will do that. The rest of you won't some because you just don't know how to run a start up company the other half because as photographers and cinematographers you couldn't "shoot" yourself out of a paper bag with your drone, basically you dont have the skills. The drone "scare" is just that, you drone pilots pretty much can spot a drone anywhere at anytime, how many of you actually see drones flying around that are not yours or your friends. First time flyers almost break their drones as soon as they get them, just read these blogs, or look at YouTube videos, what happens when they unbox them and fly them into their face, house or a tree, they sit in the closet broken. Most of you "half" wont be flying in 12 months. Thats just the facts of the stats.

As extensive as the regulations are for Canadians - for US citizens to fly in Canada it is virtually prohibitive as I was informed when I contacted Trasnport Canada. I mentioned that I was a recreational drone flier who lives near the Canadian border and frequently visits Ontario. I couldn't get anyone to identify ALL IN IT'S ENTIRETY THAT A US CITIZEN has to do to fly in Canada. The responses were all over the board as to what specifically one had to do but never totally spelled out. At least Canadians can get their heads around their requirements - I could not. This was the response I received when I inquired:

Hello Phoebe, Unfortunately in Canada we do not make any distinction between recreational fliers and commercial operators. We also do not offer any foreign nationals to apply for and obtain a pilot certificate. Therefore, the only recourse is to fly with a SFOC. We are greatly simplifying our procedures for persons like you to fly in Canada. It is not yet finalised, but essentially, you would need to provide us proof of having attended a ground school that teaches to the knowledge requirements of TP15263. You can get this information online and there are a couple of online schools that offer this. I would encourage you to keep abreast of what we are coming up with via our website. Regards,

Last edited:
Nice example of this is places with CLASS E airspace that goes to the surface. Most Controlled airspace is 700ft and above like including most CLASS E, but not Sarnia, Sudbury, North Bay Kingston, Kenora, Lethbridge, Castlegard BC. . and many others begin at the surface with a 5nm radius. Strangely Ottawa CLASS E only starts from 1500 or 2000 and above while across the river in Gatineau it's ONLY SFC to 700.

So under the new rules areas like this you need an advanced license, AND have a registered UAV that carries the Manufacturer designates SAFE aircraft (annotated on your license) . No Basic License, no home builts, no recreational flights except at MAAC. locations. All flights must be pre-planned, nothing spontaneous because you must first file a flight request with Nav Canada ( only on-line) and wait for an authorizing email. . . they've got it down to an hour or so now not 2-14 days as it was a couple of days ago.

This is an example of that in Sarnia. . . inside the 5 nm radius is CLASS E from the surface.

Last edited:
As extensive as the regulations are for Canadians - for US citizens to fly in Canada it is virtually prohibitive as I was informed when I contacted Trasnport Canada. I mentioned that I was a recreational drone flier who lives near the Canadian border and frequently visits Ontario. I couldn't get anyone to identify ALL IN IT'S ENTIRETY THAT A US CITIZEN has to do to fly in Canada. The responses were all over the board as to what specifically one had to do but never totally spelled out. At least Canadians can get their heads around their requirements - I could not. This was the response I received when I inquired:

Hello Phoebe, Unfortunately in Canada we do not make any distinction between recreational fliers and commercial operators. We also do not offer any foreign nationals to apply for and obtain a pilot certificate. Therefore, the only recourse is to fly with a SFOC. We are greatly simplifying our procedures for persons like you to fly in Canada. It is not yet finalised, but essentially, you would need to provide us proof of having attended a ground school that teaches to the knowledge requirements of TP15263. You can get this information online and there are a couple of online schools that offer this. I would encourage you to keep abreast of what we are coming up with via our website. Regards,
For a foreign person to fly a drone in Canada they need to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) . . no simple task. Here's a PLAIN ENGLISH summary of the new rules. look up 903.01 and you need 30 days advanced notice. Currently there is no method to apply for a Canadian RPAS License unless you are Canadian citizen.

I do.
i think why are there some who, despite all evidence to the contrary, have paranoid views and forsee all kinds of illogical negative things (that never happen) in the future?
The answer is that some people are just like that.
Yep....the chicken little syndrome for sure!!

Yep....the chicken little syndrome for sure!!
No Chicken Little me . . .but the sky IS Falling all over the place . . . I'll working on 6 months or 6 years, but not because they are making it easy . . but because we keep challenging the status quo. Transport Canada and Nav Canada need to learn more about UAVs and find ways to make it work. That won't happen without a few pieces of sky hitting you . . every day . . . for months!! . . keep your helmets on for now.

Reactions: ZooCougar
I hope so, regulation permitting. Drones are fantastic tools the give us a view of the world that few have the opportunity to see.

A year from now, yes because I enjoy it and much of my flying is in rural areas. I will learn and follow the new regulations as they roll out. But I do see a few trends, more and more groups (city, state, federal, quasi-public like universities, etc) are enacting regulations against flying (or more specifically - it's usually take offs/landings). The FAA is starting to put more restrictions on hobbyists. But I think the next step will be more restrictions on the 'amateur' 107 guys that do real estate photos and roof inspections.
I suspect that in 10 years, drones will be mostly used by folks like Amazon, UPS, insurance companies and the government. Individuals- whether they took the 107 or hobbyist test - will be more and more constrained to almost nonexistence.
Now it could be like Connecticut where state law requires large gun magazines registered but 99% of owners have ignored the law. But I suspect many new regulations are coming. It is easiest if the government goes after the manufacturers. I would not recommend buying DJI stock ( I know - it is a private company - I was kidding!)
There are alot more people in the US that enjoy cocaine than enjoy drone flying. And cocaine mostly affects the user while drones take down planes, kill wildlife, chops off kid's heads, and spys on people. ? So one can argue drones should be very tightly controlled preferably operated only by government and large corporations.
I hope I am paranoid. ? But I see an analogy to fireworks. 50 years ago anyone could buy fireworks but then the government restricted the public to only "sparklers" and only governments or large corporations (Disney) can purchase real fireworks. Most people were ok with that because they didn't buy fireworks and they worried "Crazy Fred" could catch their house on fire.
It like the comment above, "hobbyists will be limited, but I don't care, I have my 107 so it doesn't affect me". Most restrictions/regulations by government only impacts a minority and therefore most don't care.

A year from now, yes because I enjoy it and much of my flying is in rural areas. I will learn and follow the new regulations as they roll out. But I do see a few trends, more and more groups (city, state, federal, quasi-public like universities, etc) are enacting regulations against flying (or more specifically - it's usually take offs/landings). The FAA is starting to put more restrictions on hobbyists. But I think the next step will be more restrictions on the 'amateur' 107 guys that do real estate photos and roof inspections.
I suspect that in 10 years, drones will be mostly used by folks like Amazon, UPS, insurance companies and the government. Individuals- whether they took the 107 or hobbyist test - will be more and more constrained to almost nonexistence.
Now it could be like Connecticut where state law requires large gun magazines registered but 99% of owners have ignored the law. But I suspect many new regulations are coming. It is easiest if the government goes after the manufacturers. I would not recommend buying DJI stock ( I know - it is a private company - I was kidding!)
There are alot more people in the US that enjoy cocaine than enjoy drone flying. And cocaine mostly affects the user while drones take down planes, kill wildlife, chops off kid's heads, and spys on people. ? So one can argue drones should be very tightly controlled preferably operated only by government and large corporations.
I hope I am paranoid. ? But I see an analogy to fireworks. 50 years ago anyone could buy fireworks but then the government restricted the public to only "sparklers" and only governments or large corporations (Disney) can purchase real fireworks. Most people were ok with that because they didn't buy fireworks and they worried "Crazy Fred" could catch their house on fire.
It like the comment above, "hobbyists will be limited, but I don't care, I have my 107 so it doesn't affect me". Most restrictions/regulations by government only impacts a minority and therefore most don't care.
Reply/copy your post.
Gotta ask...
...drones take down airplanes? Unaware of any plane crashes related to drone-aircraft in flight contact.
Drones cut off kid’s heads?
Fireworks limited to sparklers, must be local to you, not so in AZ.... even get them in grocery stores
Just don’t want to have rumors get started.

the problem with commercial droning thriving and hobby drones not...are many. first is innovation. yes there will be some but not much. just look to the rc aircraft sector. is that what you want for drones? then there is cost. the prices will come down as more hobby flyers enter the picture but if you only need "commercial" drones, the prices will stay above $1k, probably go up. this industry can't be all about amazon drones and medial drones and search and rescue police drones, drone fighting wars and delivering emergency medicine. taking photos of real estate and using drones to make documentaries and flying drones to report the news originally came from the people. so did delivering pizza and checking on your livestock. those commercial activities have their roots thanks to the average everyday drone flyer.

most all the goodies you see now with drones come from this new class of hobby fliers not so much for commercial flyers. yes, they are commercial-type features that are ideal for 107 type work but think of the mobile phone and how it became a tool for consumers vs. the business man. when mobile phones were targeted to business, they were big, clunky, expensive and slow to evolve. it was after the consumer emerged and started making demands. kill the hobby drone flyers, kill the industry, there won't be no mavic 4 pro and mavic 4s zoom @ $450.

my 2 cents.

Reply/copy your post.
Gotta ask...
...drones take down airplanes? Unaware of any plane crashes related to drone-aircraft in flight contact.
Drones cut off kid’s heads?
Fireworks limited to sparklers, must be local to you, not so in AZ.... even get them in grocery stores
Just don’t want to have rumors get started.
Apparently you have trouble understanding sarcasm.....I was saying that public perception is that drones are these incredibly dangerous items that need regulated, even though they do NOT take down planes, cut off heads, etc....The constant drumbeat that drones are dangerous will drive more and more regulations.
I do not live in AZ but a quick web search yielded the following "The types of fireworks not permissible for use in Arizona are basically anything that detonates up in the air: sky rockets, bottle rockets, firecrackers, re-loadable shell devices, Roman candles, aerials and single-tube devices with reports." In addition, " Illegal devices such as M80s, M100s and silver salutes have been federally banned since 1966 because of the large amounts of explosives they contain. " So nothing that goes bang or into the air, but otherwise AZ allows fireworks....seems equivalent to allowing drones total unrestricted freedom to fly as long as they are within 2 feet of the ground, do not have a camera and have <1" props. PS That last sentence is again sarcasm.....

Reactions: Thomas B
Apparently you have trouble understanding sarcasm.....I was saying that public perception is that drones are these incredibly dangerous items that need regulated, even though they do NOT take down planes, cut off heads, etc....The constant drumbeat that drones are dangerous will drive more and more regulations.
I do not live in AZ but a quick web search yielded the following "The types of fireworks not permissible for use in Arizona are basically anything that detonates up in the air: sky rockets, bottle rockets, firecrackers, re-loadable shell devices, Roman candles, aerials and single-tube devices with reports." In addition, " Illegal devices such as M80s, M100s and silver salutes have been federally banned since 1966 because of the large amounts of explosives they contain. " So nothing that goes bang or into the air, but otherwise AZ allows fireworks....seems equivalent to allowing drones total unrestricted freedom to fly as long as they are within 2 feet of the ground, do not have a camera and have <1" props. PS That last sentence is again sarcasm.....
Got it... probably was in the wrong frame of mind when I read it an replied. Fly on!

Reactions: Bob4131
the problem with commercial droning thriving and hobby drones not...are many. first is innovation. yes there will be some but not much. just look to the rc aircraft sector. is that what you want for drones? then there is cost. the prices will come down as more hobby flyers enter the picture but if you only need "commercial" drones, the prices will stay above $1k, probably go up. this industry can't be all about amazon drones and medial drones and search and rescue police drones, drone fighting wars and delivering emergency medicine. taking photos of real estate and using drones to make documentaries and flying drones to report the news originally came from the people. so did delivering pizza and checking on your livestock. those commercial activities have their roots thanks to the average everyday drone flyer.

most all the goodies you see now with drones come from this new class of hobby fliers not so much for commercial flyers. yes, they are commercial-type features that are ideal for 107 type work but think of the mobile phone and how it became a tool for consumers vs. the business man. when mobile phones were targeted to business, they were big, clunky, expensive and slow to evolve. it was after the consumer emerged and started making demands. kill the hobby drone flyers, kill the industry, there won't be no mavic 4 pro and mavic 4s zoom @ $450.

my 2 cents.
Let me start with I think drones are great and that the market size in the consumer sector has driven innovation and has certainly driven down costs. I think consumer drone volumes have enabled commercial activities in a multitude of fields usually with a consumer drone or at least something based off consumer drone enablement..
But I would argue that that increased innovation and reduced costs are less important to the very large guys like Amazon, UPS and the government- they have the deep pockets to fund development for their specific needs. If you are Amazon, would you not want to limit drones to just a handful of players to make less competition ? If you are the FAA, you can expect big corporations to handle alot of red tape / bureaucracy but you could drive the small 107 guys and hobbyists out. The press is saying the FAA are screwups because they didn't review Boeing's code correctly- they made one mistake - we are training them to be very very risk adverse. Why would the FAA want allow individuals to fly drones? Big business - sure - they have clout in DC but how much clout do hobbyists or the 107 real estate photographers have?

If you are Amazon, would you not want to limit drones to just a handful of players to make less competition ?
Why would the FAA want allow individuals to fly drones? Big business - sure - they have clout in DC but how much clout do hobbyists or the 107 real estate photographers have?
Amazing levels of illogical paranoia evident here.
The sky has plenty of room for everyone.
If the FAA wanted you out of the sky, it would have happened a long time ago.

Amazing levels of illogical paranoia evident here.
The sky has plenty of room for everyone.
If the FAA wanted you out of the sky, it would have happened a long time ago.
I hope you are right that I am paranoid. ? And I agree the sky has plenty of room. But I see more and more people especially in urban areas that are terrified of everything. They want everything controlled and regulated by government. I think we have gone beyond a healthy fear of danger to wanting everything to be nearly fail safe.
As an example, many now constantly provide adult supervision to kids until they are 14 or so. 40 years ago, kids as young as 6 were kicked out of the house and told not to return until dusk and the crime rate was much higher 40 years ago than it is now.
I have often heard people say "It's worth it to ban (fill in the blank) if we can save one life". And sometimes they are thinking life of a bird not even a human life. I travel alot and this attitude varies greatly around the US from nonexistent with older people in rural areas to very true among younger people in urban areas.
I think the FAA initially thought of drones like they did model aircraft for decades - a cute hobby that didn't really concern them. As more scary stories are published and airports are closed because a "drone was sighted", they have been forced to make more UAV regulations. If a drone would ever actually cause an aircraft to crash, can you imagine the grief the FAA would receive?
Just my opinion of what may happen over the next decade+.

I am thinking more and more that we are going the way of Canada. The way we went in the 80's & 90's with ultralight aircraft. We got regulated
out of existence back then in a matter of a very few years once the bureaucrats took over. You guys should take a look at this very entertaining
but sober video. I have a dozen drones that I now can't fly out of my back yard because "they" extended their little green squares another few miles from the nearest airport
If nothing else, this video is entertaining at the least.
I’m in Canada. Yes we have regulation,but many would say it at least provides clarity and indeed a few more freedoms to fly when and where we were not allowed before the regulations came into effect. Ex. Flying at night,the height restriction is higher now. Not that I’m in love with the Canadian governments “strategy” for drone regulation,but trust me,they have and could do much worse. For now our hobby is safe in Canada and that’s good enough for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu