DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you use landing gear all the time? never or sometimes?

bottomsup

Reactions
I just bought these from PGYTech because I'm going out to the desert and if I have to land in a rocky or sandy place for some reason it felt like a good idea.

Around my house I don't really see the need as I have a mat for grass and my back hard is turf.

Just curious how are others are using them

I just bought these from PGYTech because I'm going out to the desert and if I have to land in a rocky or sandy place for some reason it felt like a good idea.

Around my house I don't really see the need as I have a mat for grass and my back hard is turf.

I use PolarPro folding gear on my Mavic 2 and will probably buy a set for my Mavic air 2, if they start making them. The folding gear stays on all the time and when folded the drone still fits nicely in my GPC backpack. I also have the PGYTech set for my Mavic 2. The just sit on the shelf.....

I have leg extensions all the time .
I mostly fly on my own land and it’s either muskeg , long grass or gravel , so landing gear is a must .
I have a piece of old board that was an rc helipad that I use if I’m close to the house .

No more for my MPP. Resonance cracked my front landing legs. Hand catch if necessary.

Reactions: dawgpilot
for me the downside of the leg extensions that fit on the existing antenna legs at the front of the mavic ,is because of the extra length it changes the moment angle of the leg so that it puts extra load on them every time you land ,it also makes the legs more prone to damage if any contact is made to things like branches

I use PolarPro folding gear on my Mavic 2 and will probably buy a set for my Mavic air 2, if they start making them. The folding gear stays on all the time and when folded the drone still fits nicely in my GPC backpack. I also have the PGYTech set for my Mavic 2. The just sit on the shelf.....
Those look much better. Didn’t consider the case

I always use them on my Mavic Air. A friend told me that he never used them on his MA and now has lots of dust and debris in his motors.

Last year I had a premature battery failure and couldn’t make it home. The drone made a hard landing and one of my extenders came off and seemed to cushion that landing and saved the drone from damage.

I also use these as a good place to mount my Firehouse strobes. I would rather have these on the extenders rather than the drone itself.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I bought some very early on in my drone ownership experience, but once I learned how to hand catch/takeoff I never used them again.

I bought polar Pro landing gear for my mavic 2, still has not been opened even though there were times I needed them. I guess i thought of it has a hassle and was unsure how it might affect my flight.

Reactions: dawgpilot

Always, no good reason not to. I want my Mavic as far away from dust dirt and anything else FOD related when its running on the ground.

I got a free set of PGYTech legs which fell right off. I got the polar pro ones and use them all the time as I feel being a bit higher reduced the change of dirt incursion, and sometime I land in the grass.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I use them on my MP. The rear gear is a good spot for a strobe. The only issue I've seen is if any of the gear falls off in flight. You'll have to hand land it.

Let us know what you think after using them in the desert. I don't think any of them offer enough clearance. If I look around I can always find something to launch from. I prefer to land in my hand in almost all situations. It's not a catch like you might have to do in a boat..It's really easily done. Just assure yourself that the drone is hovering properly (get comfortable with the procedure before doing it in gusty conditions) Approach from an angle with the drone probably just a little lower than you're comfortable with at first and over good level ground. Put your hand under the drone..you will be a long ways below the props and ease back on the left stick. Naturally don't do this backed up against wall or your car. If you start to feel stressed..just step away..no harm in that.

Bought my mavic pro used and it came with the extension legs and I use them all the time.

I use landing Pad all the time, have two of them. One that is collapsible, and one I made which is 4 foot by 4 foot.;
Don't feel comfortable hand catching my MP. I bought skids that raise my MP 4 inches off the ground, in addition to the landing Pads, to make sure I don't suck up any sand, dirt, grass into the motors. The 4 foot by 4 foot landing Pad I made myself, painted it red and put a big X in the center. To make sure its seen from the air.

New to the world of drones and have been hand catching and launching the Mavic Air 2. Seems simple enough and much better for the drone. Curious if most people use landing gear/pads or just simply hand catch?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002