DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you Use Screen Hood?? Also Phone Screen Vs Tablet Screen???

Also, be aware that perceived brightness is not linear. 1000 nits is not perceived as "twice" as bright as 500 nits. It's only perceived as 1.4x as bright. To be perceived as twice as bright as 500 nits, you would need 2000 nits!
That's interesting.

How does that work, in terms of physics/physiology?

Thx.

Screen hoods are very effective but only 1/3rd the battle. Screen brightness and coating are another 1/3rd of the equation.

Equally important is reducing ambient light and reflection. Not always possible but it could be as simple as standing in the shadow of a tree. If you cannot find natural shade but have more resources at your disposal, a simple floppy cutter (courtesy) on a light stand will help massively (and you won't get a sunburn).

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Screen hoods are very effective but only 1/3rd the battle. Screen brightness and coating are another 1/3rd of the equation.

Equally important is reducing ambient light and reflection. Not always possible but it could be as simple as standing in the shadow of a tree. If you cannot find natural shade but have more resources at your disposal, a simple floppy cutter (courtesy) on a light stand will help massively (and you won't get a sunburn).
I bought an "umbrella hat" to use with my Mini-1 and Mini-SE, since I didn't see any way to shade the "under the control sticks" screen.

Looks silly, works great!

1652030751431.png

Reactions: ianwood and FLDave
Reactions: FLDave
Used a hood with the Phantom, and it had a huge difference looking at my iPad. Tried with the Mavic 2 but having the controller above the screen made it tricky. Switched to a Smart Controller mostly because the screen was a lot brighter, and don't really need a hood for it.

Currently trying to DIY a hood for the Mini + phone, because the it's hard to see that tiny screen in bright sunlight.

That's interesting.

How does that work, in terms of physics/physiology?

Thx.
Brightness is perceived rather than measured. Because of the way our pupils operate, brightness does not follow a linear line on a graph. Instead, brightness follows a logarithmic curve, where perceived light = √measured light.
For a very boring, and way too technical discussion of the physiology, see

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech