DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you Use Screen Hood?? Also Phone Screen Vs Tablet Screen???

starduzt

Reactions
Do you use Screen Hood..or Just fly as is??
Long term users Pilots share your suggetion & Experience

Along with Tablet or Phone which you prefer???

Bought one for M2P long time ago. Found it to be completely useless.

I have in the past. However, I can't find one right now to fit the iPad Mini 6 which is slightly larger in size than the older model iPads. But right now I'm playing with a device, with several names, but it came branded as DroneMask. It doesn't require a special app to fly FPV, and I'm trying different techniques so I can mount my phone in the Drone mask, look at it "normally" and then flip the mount over and mount it on my head for FPV VR view. I'm trying to find the most convenient way to work with it so I don't need a VO. Finding the most efficient way to use it effectively is a work in progress.

I do really like the extra real estate of my iPad Mini6 which makes things a lot easier. But like you looking for a screen hood, there isn't one commercially available in the right size. However, if you're creative you can easily build one yourself with cardboard, gaffers tape and some sort of heavy rubber bands. In bright sunlight I found the standard lens hoods often completey ineffective so build my hood extensions. Perhaps you might look at the Hoodman brand. They're not cheap, but have a lot of good offerings.

vindibox.jpg

I've recently posted a semi-complete write up of the pros and cons of different VR goggles and apps that have FPV/VR features.

1651851527477.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
I have in the past. However, I can't find one right now to fit the iPad Mini 6 which is slightly larger in size than the older model iPads. But right now I'm playing with a device, with several names, but it came branded as DroneMask. It doesn't require a special app to fly FPV, and I'm trying different techniques so I can mount my phone in the Drone mask, look at it "normally" and then flip the mount over and mount it on my head for FPV VR view. I'm trying to find the most convenient way to work with it so I don't need a VO. Finding the most efficient way to use it effectively is a work in progress.

I do really like the extra real estate of my iPad Mini6 which makes things a lot easier. But like you looking for a screen hood, there isn't one commercially available in the right size. However, if you're creative you can easily build one yourself with cardboard, gaffers tape and some sort of heavy rubber bands. In bright sunlight I found the standard lens hoods often completey ineffective so build my hood extensions. Perhaps you might look at the Hoodman brand. They're not cheap, but have a lot of good offerings.

View attachment 147835

I've recently posted a semi-complete write up of the pros and cons of different VR goggles and apps that have FPV/VR features.

View attachment 147833
This Diy thing Really Opened New Perspective....Thank you so much

I have one and it works for glare. On the other hand it severely restricts my access to smart phone screen touch options. I'm more likely to use it for DroneLink missions than with DJI Fly app; I also adjust screen to max brightness.

Reactions: starduzt
I have one and it works for glare. On the other hand it severely restricts my access to smart phone screen touch options. I'm more likely to use it for DroneLink missions than with DJI Fly app; I also adjust screen to max brightness.
Thanks for the Reply

I use a CrystalSky High Brightness. Never had to use a hood with it--even in the brightest sun. Have one for iPad mini.

View attachment 147835

View attachment 147833
How do you operate the control sticks with that set-up attached?

wow...Thats Really Bright Display...Thanks for the Reply
How does this:

• 2000 cd/m
Compare to:

1000 nits

?

Brighter? Dimmer? N/A?

Is there no consistent brightness unit?

Thx

How does this:

• 2000 cd/m
Compare to:

1000 nits

?

Brighter? Dimmer? N/A?

Is there no consistent brightness unit?

Thx

Nits is the same thing, street talk (more or less) for cd/m (which is a scientific measurement (candela per sq, meter, a unit of luminance). So 1 nit = 1 cd/m².

That's not saying that every spec sheet is reporting honestly or measuring exactly the same way, but that's what they are supposed to mean. In general, it's a valid comparison.

Chris

Nits is the same thing, street talk (more or less) for cd/m (which is a scientific measurement (candela per sq, meter, a unit of luminance). So 1 nit = 1 cd/m².

That's not saying that every spec sheet is reporting honestly or measuring exactly the same way, but that's what they are supposed to mean. In general, it's a valid comparison.

Chris
Very clarifying, thanks.

So "nits" is sort of slang?

I went to look at the CrystalSky because it got mentioned here. Not useful for me since it won't run with DJI Fly (Minis), and the PFV doesn't need it, but I wanted to understand brightness measurements better.

How many nitty cd/m's does the RC Pro Controller put out?

Thx!

Very clarifying, thanks.

I went to look at the CrystalSky because it got mentioned here. Not useful for me since it won't run with DJI Fly (Minis), and the PFV doesn't need it, but I wanted to understand brightness measurements better.

Thx!

I'm not really sure of the etymology of the term nits. I just have a feeling for how it's been used, and I could be wrong.

Also, I'm not sure of the nits for any of the pro controllers--I just use an iPad with a hood. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Chris

Chris
Also, be aware that perceived brightness is not linear. 1000 nits is not perceived as "twice" as bright as 500 nits. It's only perceived as 1.4x as bright. To be perceived as twice as bright as 500 nits, you would need 2000 nits!

Reactions: snowghost
Very clarifying, thanks.

Thx!
RC-Pro is 1000 nits, same as the Smart Controller.

Do you use Screen Hood..or Just fly as is??
Long term users Pilots share your suggetion & Experience

I started with a Mini 4 and a four sided hood which worked pretty good, although it could be cumbersome at times.

Along with Tablet or Phone which you prefer???

I now fly with a Tripltek tablet. No sun hood needed as it pumps out 1200 nits of screen brightness which makes it easy to see on bright days.

Reactions: mereflyer
I'm not really sure of the etymology of the term nits. I just have a feeling for how it's been used, and I could be wrong.

Also, I'm not sure of the nits for any of the pro controllers--I just use an iPad with a hood. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Chris
Yeah, I use a hood with my Samsung S20 Note, which makes it usable, but I'd much rather have a fully sun-readable screen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan