DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does DJI coat the mavic 2 circuits?

cpfninja11

Reactions
I have heard that dji applies some sort of light moisture protection to the boards and I would like to be able to confirm is this is true for the Mavic 2

Reactions: mnis
I think there was already a coating on the M1P. But it's protection against corrosion, which definitely does not make your drone waterproof.

Perhaps a shortcut/link could be added as a feature to the forum. Same topic, different forum areas.

Reactions: Former Member
Yes and no. DJI use conformal coating on their PCBs, which is a silicone coating that is applied with a brush or a machine after the boards have been assembled.

Conformal coating is used as an environmental barrier and helps protect against damage from moisture. It is used on most parts of the drone excluding connectors and high speed circuitry such as the radio transmission components.

This is why DJI drones often survive fresh water damage initially, yet they sometimes stop working in a few weeks or months time. This is due to corrosion growing across the contacts on the connectors, which are not protected.

Components which are not manufactured by DJI, such as the camera sensor boards, lens assemblies and batteries, are not coated. This is why we strongly recommend disposing of any batteries which have been in contact with water, even if they work.

Good info here on conformal coating:

What is a Conformal Coating & How it Works | HumiSeal®

Reactions: mnis and ff22
@Thunderdrones should be able to answer since he works on them.
Happy New Year @FatherXmas

The boards are coated with a conformal coating to protect against moisture and the weather. This includes all the solder joints on the main board as well as all the electronic components. Some of the joints are also held down to the main board by silastic compound to make sure they don't move around.

In my opinion, drones are water resistant but not waterproof. A little fresh water must or condensation won't hurt anything but a total immersion might destroy the drone.

I remember I bought an analog Timex watch when I was a kid. I thought water resistant meant waterproof until I dunked it under water one time. It took a lickin but kept on tickin, albeit a few water bubbles inside.

Last edited:
Humiseal, now that brings back memories. I was an avionics tech back in the day and whenever we repaired a board we'd have to reseal it with Humiseal. Smelly stuff if I remember correctly..[emoji3]

M2s collect water inside the camera board and on top of the GPS/IMU board. Both areas can cause issues as the stock flight control will not allow liftoff without the camera operating, and losing the IMU is just bad news.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard