DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does DJI have the capability to deactivate a drone?

I think there probably are more emasculating things in life than geofencing, but I guess it depends on your priorities.
Yes I was being melodramatic. But on the occasion of that geofencing, I had arrived early in the morning, set up my landing pad, and drone and was really ready to fly when I pressed the thumb controls in and down and nothing happened. I wasted about a half an hour when I could have had another cup of coffee and done the crossword puzzle instead.

How do the plan to handle the thousands of drones that wont follow all the new regulations? I’m quite confident with any new firmwear updates they will easily be able to brick drones that aren’t in compliance. If they can prevent drones from taking off now in various zones, they certainly can use software to ground any drone. Otherwise how can anyone actually enforce the new rules that are coming?
I fly in the back country typically with no WiFi or cell service. I worry a little that the FAA might force DJI to ground all drones that are not properly reporting their location and I'm 100% sure DJI could implement this. I will not be able to report my position if I have no cell service or WiFi. I'm not worried about being caught or causing any damage. I don't fly beyond VLOS unless you count my flying behind a tree which technically is out of sight. I worry a lot more about getting a ticket for driving a few miles over the speed limit and I take that chance also. The FAA will not be hiding behind the trees where I want to fly. I like the way my Mavic Mini is working so why shouldn't I configure the Fly app to not automatically update the app and also configure the Fly app to not automatically update the firmware? If I do this, future changes won't impact me.

Reactions: Rudiger
I fly in the back country typically with no WiFi or cell service. I worry a little that the FAA might force DJI to ground all drones that are not properly reporting their location and I'm 100% sure DJI could implement this. I will not be able to report my position if I have no cell service or WiFi. I'm not worried about being caught or causing any damage. I don't fly beyond VLOS unless you count my flying behind a tree which technically is out of sight. I worry a lot more about getting a ticket for driving a few miles over the speed limit and I take that chance also. The FAA will not be hiding behind the trees where I want to fly. I like the way my Mavic Mini is working so why shouldn't I configure the Fly app to not automatically update the app and also configure the Fly app to not automatically update the firmware? If I do this, future changes won't impact me.
Recommend you read the proposal:

Then make your input to FAA here:

Reactions: sar104
My personal opinion is that the FAA and Transport Canada will pay lip service, if that, to any well crafted submissions. I believe their mind is already set. I could be proven wrong.

My personal opinion is that the FAA and Transport Canada will pay lip service, if that, to any well crafted submissions. I believe their mind is already set. I could be proven wrong.
While I respect your opinion, it’s clear that without input from as many drone pilots as possible your suspicion becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Please respond to the FAA before the deadline.

While I respect your opinion, it’s clear that without input from as many drone pilots as possible your suspicion becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Please respond to the FAA before the deadline.
Im Canadian citizen and resident (with a Florida home) and I'm sure they don't care. As previous commenters on this site have opined , this is 100% about amazon etc. in the USA. Their money and lobby trumps letters and youtube pleadings. The nice thing about Canada being 10 years behind the USA on stuff, we likely won't be seeing Purolator, UPS type drone deliveries for a decade and likely never in the boonies which is 90 % of the country.

Im Canadian citizen and resident (with a Florida home) and I'm sure they don't care. As previous commenters on this site have opined , this is 100% about amazon etc. in the USA. Their money and lobby trumps letters and youtube pleadings. The nice thing about Canada being 10 years behind the USA on stuff, we likely won't be seeing Purolator, UPS type drone deliveries for a decade and likely never in the boonies which is 90 % of the country.
I respect all opinions expressed and also expect the worst... but if I don’t comment, as I have, then how can I complain. FYI, one other action I plan is to cancel any order from any entity which plans drone delivery.

Why are car's still governed at at 155 mph in the US when, clearly, there's no public roads that will allow that speed any more? The topic of DJI being able to or not to disable a drone is the same reason why most, if not all car manufacturers, don't limit their cars based on the roads' speed limit. There is a certain level of privacy, and a certain level of freedom that comes with responsibility to act. The law is there to guide and should you go outside the law irresponsibly, there are consequences. That is the job of the federal and state governing bodies. Soon, to fly a certain category of drones, you'll need a license, one that can be obtain like a driver's license or certification. It's coming . . . and Part 107 is a loose start.

EXACTLY...Non-action on our part is the same as agreeing. We may not have much of a chance to, but if we do nothing, we have NO chance of changing it.

I’m in a Facebook group where a debate is going on. It’s centered around the purpose for DJI needing the unit back in the event of a DJI Refresh claim and why it’s necessary..

It’s being contended by one user that DJI has the capability to disable a drone by serial number. Is this reality?

So in the event of a theft or something like that, is it possible to contact DJI and have them disable the drone?
Theoretically and I repeat (not to give false information) Theoretically. After co-pilot update, you could have it for the authorities, a masterkey who takes control of each drone aircraft in prohibited areas. Which they don't better implement, because at that point, an output of secret information, would compromise the entire safety of all drones. At the moment, I think I cut down, the dedicated frequencies with countermeasures and if you break the rules, as for everything, if you get paid you pay. P.S It is necessary to educate: We all have kitchen knives in the house, but nobody dreams of taking them on the street or outside their home. It is necessary to make people think, educate them, inform them freely and not oppress them for other people's shortcomings or mental problems. Your Freedom ends when another's begins. It is necessary to be sensible, not oppressed in my opinion. Hem .. sorry for my horrible english, I hope the sense will come. Create a few simple rules, such as some current ones, alert pilots in risk areas (no fly zone) And for everyone, use the drones responsibly, avoiding situations that could cause damage to others and as for cars, a minimum of age depending on the engine capacity.

Last edited:
I’m in a Facebook group where a debate is going on. It’s centered around the purpose for DJI needing the unit back in the event of a DJI Refresh claim and why it’s necessary..

It’s being contended by one user that DJI has the capability to disable a drone by serial number. Is this reality?

So in the event of a theft or something like that, is it possible to contact DJI and have them disable the drone?

I read that a pilot's dji aircraft was forced to land due to dji software, unfortunately, it was over water.

I read that a pilot's dji aircraft was forced to land due to dji software, unfortunately, it was over water.

I think you're talking about the operator who was flying BLOS when a TFR became active and the aircraft "auto landed" and happened to be over water. That was OPERATOR ERROR for not checking before he took off and flying in a manner where he could not safely control the aircraft when something went "wrong".

Yes. Do not forget that DJI is a military start up. I would never believe that they programmed that firmware on their own. It means that they can do way more, than just deactivate it. Think about your cell phone, if you have no coverage you can`t call anyone...except 911. So, it goes thru a different channel.

Yes. Do not forget that DJI is a military start up.
Nowhere in Wang's history is there a connection to military establishments.
He studied at University and won third prize in a contest which gave him $18,000 to develop a drone which he did in his dorm!
The flight controller firmware has gone through multiple iterations on numerous aircraft and in many instances has been fully decompiled.
No military, no conspiracy, no embedded Armageddon code.

Nowhere in Wang's history is there a connection to military establishments.
He studied at University and won third prize in a contest which gave him $18,000 to develop a drone which he did in his dorm!
The flight controller firmware has gone through multiple iterations on numerous aircraft and in many instances has been fully decompiled.
No military, no conspiracy, no embedded Armageddon code.
Call me cynical but perhaps Telemonster is trolling....joined the discussions yesterday and has 2 posts....or is uneducated regarding DJI.

Reactions: Thomas B and sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japester