DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does everyone use filters?

I disagree. Particularly with a fixed and wide open aperture, ND filters can be quite useful in still photography. There are certain things you simply cannot do on a sunny day with an aperture of f/2.8 without attenuating the light.
I know there are uses for ND filters in still photography. Likely more than I'm aware of. Perhaps I should have said "....mostly only beneficial....". Again, this is just my opinion based on my usage and requirements. Your mileage may differ...

I still learn new things all the time, but as to their usefulness.....

Reactions: Greenflash
But it's only particular special circumstances where you would do that.
For general photography, the shutter speed goes to 1/8000 which ensures that you can always get proper exposure values.

Artistically, there is more to getting a shot than just getting a good EV. For instance, you are not going to get a smooth, milky waterfall at 1/8000 sec shutter speed. However, if you put an 8 stop ND on the camera, you would have an equivalent EV at 1/15 sec. with the same ISO setting and aperture. The effect in the shot will be dramatically different.

For instance, you are not going to get a smooth, milky waterfall at 1/8000 sec shutter speed.
That's the one particular case that I referred to.
Forcing a very slow shutter speed.
I suspect it's referred to in the forums more often than actually done.
Unless that is your goal (and most of the time it isn't) there is no need to use an ND filter for drone stills.

Reactions: Greenflash
You are much better to use a gimbal camera protector for travel/storage and ditch the filter. Treat your equipment right and you will have no need to protect the lens. I mean what is protecting the lens of the ND you have on now...what if it gets scratched, then all Photo and Video will have that transferred? Trust me in normal flight your lens isn't going to get damaged...and if it does you got more to worry about than just that lens. ;)

Maybe invest in a "Lens Pen" to keep lens free and clear? : https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7072-L...eywords=Camera+lens+pen&qid=1617624496&sr=8-3

IF the professional Inspire 2 fliers with $10,000+ in the air use a lens pen seems like a good $15 investment for the hobby class :) I use ND's when needed, but you don't need them for the standard everyday flier out there. If you must have something on there than a simple UV filter is what you want. It is what DJI puts on their former aircraft stock : https://www.amazon.com/PGYTECH-Filt...ocphy=1023191&hvtargid=pla-944234987921&psc=1
Thanks for your knowledge and info ??

That's the one particular case that I referred to.
Forcing a very slow shutter speed.
I suspect it's referred to in the forums more often than actually done.
Unless that is your goal (and most of the time it isn't) there is no need to use an ND filter for drone stills.

NDs can be useful for other things as well. For instance, if you want to shoot a bracket of several shots to stack and make an HDR, you need to be able to get the detail in the sky as well as detail in the shadows. A ND might be required to get sky detail. There are other times they can be of value as well. If you are just taking snapshots, however, they are probably not a tool in the bag.

So do the nd filters enhance video with other things moving within the video?
( water/ vehicles)?

for years of dslr black and white still photos, I always have my polarizer on my cameras
Never comes off. But depending on position and view, I always Have to rotate the filter to get the best effect ( usually darker skies)
In fact I usually have my left hand on the polarizer when looking through the dslr
I can rotate the filter 1/4 turn and see the effect

I would think it would be hard to use a polarizer on a drone ....
a shift in flight direction of of any kind will change the effect of the polarizer wouldn’t it?

Reactions: TxRailbird
I try to use a ND filter on a sunny day otherwise I feel the video works quite well without.

So do the nd filters enhance video with other things moving within the video?
( water/ vehicles)?

for years of dslr black and white still photos, I always have my polarizer on my cameras
Never comes off. But depending on position and view, I always Have to rotate the filter to get the best effect ( usually darker skies)
In fact I usually have my left hand on the polarizer when looking through the dslr
I can rotate the filter 1/4 turn and see the effect

I would think it would be hard to use a polarizer on a drone ....
a shift in flight direction of of any kind will change the effect of the polarizer wouldn’t it?
Exactly the point I was making earlier in this thread. The usefulness of filters is somewhat limited because you can't make adjustments on the fly (hah, see what I did there).

Maybe I'm just lazy, or my standards aren't as high as other folks, but I'm happy with my results and I will mess around with the filters now and then, just to see what happens. I also do a lot of reading/YT viewing to try to understand what I'm doing or should be doing. But if it's too much bother.....diminishing returns and all that.

I definately agree ....

I CAN see ... if you are doing this professionally...and possibly for income... you do whatever it takes.

and I will give filters a try

this is just me... everyone’s different
I think I enjoy the actual act of flying and snapping pictures. Sometimes the endless research and watching YouTube tech videos, helps me immensely. Has solved SO many problems and questions for me

sometimes it can suck the fun out of it

Reactions: Barbara
I reckon that some people notice the 'stuttery' nature of videos shot without an appropriate ND filter fitted, and some people don't, or mentally compensate for it when they see it. I was in the latter category, but once I read about it, I now notice it, and so I now use ND filters, and can see the difference. It's a bit like moire, I can see it but my mind compensates for it, then the missus asks why's that corrugated iron roof stripey, and the nice well composed photo with a barn in the background becomes useless...

In video I've felt it does help with the stutter, but can not find one that doesn't give the moving lines on some light objects when the sun hits them a certain way. Very annoying ! Polar pros are not as bad as some of the others, but still...it shows up. Are there any that don't do this !?!? So annoying something that helps, then ruins the footage. Grr

but can not find one that doesn't give the moving lines on some light objects when the sun hits them a certain way.
Can you show an example of what you are trying to describe?
If you mean moire, that's not something a filter can fix.

NDs can be useful for other things as well. For instance, if you want to shoot a bracket of several shots to stack and make an HDR, you need to be able to get the detail in the sky as well as detail in the shadows. A ND might be required to get sky detail. There are other times they can be of value as well. If you are just taking snapshots, however, they are probably not a tool in the bag.
Hello Fat Pappy,
Maybe you could explain how that works, I thought there is enough range in shutter speed to cover any light condition, and ND filters would just slow it down a bit, so a HDR comprised of (say) 1/4000. 1/1000 and 1/500th second, would become 1/2000, 1/500 and 1/250th with a ND filter. I'm probably missing the point, but I'd really like to know..

We only fly for work. With video, there is absolutely a major benefit in using ND filters - although we prefer to use ND/PL filters. We use the Tiffen set for our Mini 2 - which is the best make - and PolarPro for the P4P+. The difference is perhaps most noticeable when filming moving vehicles. Any professional will see the difference that slowing down the shutter speed with a ND filter makes.

I’m sitting here with $250 worth of Freewell filters that just came in the mail today, so I’m gonna need everyone to start saying they’re super important!
Super, super important.....(nudge, nudge, wink, wink...)

Reactions: Duke_Mulligan
Hello Fat Pappy,
Maybe you could explain how that works, I thought there is enough range in shutter speed to cover any light condition, and ND filters would just slow it down a bit, so a HDR comprised of (say) 1/4000. 1/1000 and 1/500th second, would become 1/2000, 1/500 and 1/250th with a ND filter. I'm probably missing the point, but I'd really like to know..

If you are shooting into the sun, say a sunset, at f/2.8, you may not have a fast enough shutter to keep detail in the sky. Put on an 8 or 16 stop filter and you can get the shot. The filter you need will be the one that lets you get the detail in the highlights while not having the shadows go black. Remember, it easier to pull detail out of underexposed shadows the overexposed highlights.

If you are shooting into the sun, say a sunset, at f/2.8, you may not have a fast enough shutter to keep detail in the sky. Put on an 8 or 16 stop filter and you can get the shot. The filter you need will be the one that lets you get the detail in the highlights while not having the shadows go black. Remember, it easier to pull detail out of underexposed shadows the overexposed highlights.
Yes! F/2.8 is the sweet spot for sure! :)

Yes! F/2.8 is the sweet spot for sure! :)

Yeah, I hear you. Having a fixed, wide open aperture is less than ideal, but that is what the Air 2 has. My options were to spend twice as much to get the 2 Pro with its f/2.8 to f/11 range or save half the price and spring for the ND filters. Given that it is my first drone and nothing is yet Cat 2 certified, I figured I would go with the Air 2, hone my flying skills and pop for the better camera drone when it is Cat 2 certified.

Reactions: captg
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid