DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does everyone use filters?

I use ND filters when shooting sunsets/sunrises. This typically results in low/under exposure levels around the sun without overexposing the ball of fire AS much. It also provides for some interesting colors in these instances particularly if there are clouds in the shot. For the most part I don't use ND filters but haven't done much for moving object shooting such as a waterfall or a moving vehicle (yet). I have a polarizing filter which will be vital in shots over/into water.
My $0.02.

I have been looking for a CP filter for my Mavic Pro v1 but can’t find one for love or money anywhere?

Seems like there are lots of posts I can read to better understand why to use filters for video.....
I’m wading through them

does everyone use filters for most video shooting?
I always have a Polar Pro ND8, on all my drones. It helps to be able to maintain 100 ISO at 1/50 shutter speed for natural motion blur in normal lit locations and especially bright places, cloudy or sunny. The only time I have taken them off is inside buildings or under a dark tree canopy.

Reactions: Morrisey20
View attachment 126736Just ordered these for my Air2... should be in tomorrow...with summer coming I figured give my drone the option of wearing “sunglasses” when needed. ?
Wish I would have seen this variable type ones before I bought the typical individual filter set… Seems to be a lot easier to just adjust the dial rather than switch the filter each time. ??

Reactions: Jriley
Wish I would have seen this variable type ones before I bought the typical individual filter set… Seems to be a lot easier to just adjust the dial rather than switch the filter each time. ??
That's the reason, convenience, that I purchased my variable filters. Keep in mind though, that they are actually two polarized filters, so you will get to some extent a polarizing effect whether or not you actually want it.

Reactions: E.T. DRONE HOME
I understand the convenience factor for variable ND (that's why I bought them) but I found a problem when the sun was in shot; they introduced an unwanted reflection spot just below it - could not get rid of it so they had to go.
Has anyone else experienced this with a variable ND?

I understand the convenience factor for variable ND (that's why I bought them) but I found a problem when the sun was in shot; they introduced an unwanted reflection spot just below it - could not get rid of it so they had to go.
Has anyone else experienced this with a variable ND?
I believe this is due to them also having PL in them which is likely what is creating the reflection. I have not personally noticed any reflections but do get light rays that extend out past the sun by a bit which is part of the effect I'm after with a sunset or sunrise. I am going to compare now though between adjustable and fixed to see the difference. Might not sell the fixed set I have after all.

That's the reason, convenience, that I purchased my variable filters. Keep in mind though, that they are actually two polarized filters, so you will get to some extent a polarizing effect whether or not you actually want it.
You mean these variable filters are not true ND filters, that just simply adjust an aperture up or down based on needs? They actually act as a polarizer to adjust the amount of light? No thanks! I will stick with switching ND filters when needed.

I have shot video with polarizing filters in the past, it wreaks havoc in post productions. Once you change flight direction, that moves away from the current light source, it changes the polarization and the entire lighting spectrum. Much like the same reason you never leave white balance on auto.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard